Military Medicine, the HPSP...AVOID!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then there was the upcoming JCAHO visit...since the "leadership" wanted to wear their JCAHO score upon their chest like a Combat Infantry Badge, you would not believe the stupid crap they had us do. They broke down the ENTIRE medical records department and assigned every provider a block of several hundred patient charts. We had to go through them, at night and on weekends, to make sure that the allergies, medications, and past medical histories were complete. These were patients that you had probably never taken care of, but you were reviewing their chart and filling it all out so that the "leadership" could get their 99% rating from JCAHO. What a waste of time.

Best of luck to you, thenavysurgeon. I look forward to hearing more from you.

ah yes.....typical military for ya! I remember those days....

Members don't see this ad.

CrazyCozak said:
are you serious?! is there like a set amount of money, or it's negotiable? what kind of rates do military docs look for?

It's no different then any other type of moonlighting. The amount you get paid depends on the location and your specialty. I imagine that ER docs might get around 100 bucks / hour for moonlighting, but that's just a guess.

Teufelhunden said:
Anyone have any insight into the future of OBGYN in the Navy? I've read a handful of comments suggesting that lack of patient volume has negatively impacted Navy GME. I recently rotated through OBGYN at Portsmouth, and patient volume was not a problem there! (~350 deliveries a month)

Is there talk of outsourcing OBGYN to civilians as well? It seems a logical move, as OBGYNs don't offer much in the way of deploying.

BTW...is my above assumption correct? Military OBGYNs are rarely deployed, right? I mean...a pregnant female is NOT deployable, last I checked.

During this last massive deployment last year, the OBs were used as triage officers.....and not very effectively....not really the OBs fault, they weren't trained to do that particular job, but the Navy thought differently.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, where ever there are females, there are female medical problems, so its justified to deploy OBs...plus, i think they can do a basic damage control laparotomy...its not that difficult.

Bush/Cheney 2004
Guilliani/Rice 2008
Guilliani/Rice 2012
Rice/Hannity 2016
Rice/Hannity 2020

Guiliani? No way. Maybe as a VP to Bill Frist (regardless of political affiliation, ya gotta be intrigued by the idea of a surgeon in the white house).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RMD 1/11/1

I don't get it!:mad: