military OMFS part deux

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dadoh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that I may have asked the wrong question earlier. I wanted to know if anybody knows any general information about military OMFS residencies or military oral surgeons. I am in the army hpsp and am considering OMFS residency. I have heard that after being done w/ the residencies, army and probably navy oral surgeons are worked to the bone since a soldier's face is not protected from IEDs, shrapnel, or anything else. If that is the case are their residencies geared more towards trauma than say orthognathics, or since they are accredited do they have the same balance as a civilian residency. I was also wondering that since some military dental residencies require early morning PT, how does that fit into the schedule. thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I would also like to see if someone could answer these questions. I am in the Air Force HPSP and all I know is that the military only offers 4 year residencies without the 2 years of med school. The Navy website at Bethesda probably has the best info.

Dadoh said:
I think that I may have asked the wrong question earlier. I wanted to know if anybody knows any general information about military OMFS residencies or military oral surgeons. I am in the army hpsp and am considering OMFS residency. I have heard that after being done w/ the residencies, army and probably navy oral surgeons are worked to the bone since a soldier's face is not protected from IEDs, shrapnel, or anything else. If that is the case are their residencies geared more towards trauma than say orthognathics, or since they are accredited do they have the same balance as a civilian residency. I was also wondering that since some military dental residencies require early morning PT, how does that fit into the schedule. thanks for your time.

I don't know if this really answers your question, but I have heard that everything really varies in the military. You just can't put a finger on it. Some residents see 8 patients a day, others 8 patients an hour.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try asking the question in the military medicine forum...

Dadoh said:

The residency at Wilford Hall (air force) does primarily cosmetics and orthognathics. Little trauma, for whatever reason. So they may all be different. The residency at Brook Army is pretty good. I think you get good training at military OMS. You don't have to worry about money, which is key, and they probably do more elective prcedures than you figure. As far as the schedule, I'm sure you just do what they tell you, like any other residency. If they want you out running on the track rather than sewing up a face lac, oh well.

dexadental said:
Try asking the question in the military medicine forum...
I did that and somehow the discussion was led into whether or not it is easier to get into military vs. civilian residency. I remember seeing some air force stats showing that it is easier as far as GPA and board scores go, but that was besides the point. I don't think that any oral surgeons hang out in that forum.

Jediwendell said:
The residency at Wilford Hall (air force) does primarily cosmetics and orthognathics. Little trauma, for whatever reason. So they may all be different. The residency at Brook Army is pretty good. I think you get good training at military OMS. You don't have to worry about money, which is key, and they probably do more elective prcedures than you figure. As far as the schedule, I'm sure you just do what they tell you, like any other residency. If they want you out running on the track rather than sewing up a face lac, oh well.
I am not surprised that an air force residency isn't focusing on trauma. Their guys aren't the ones getting IEDs blowing up in their faces. Maybe they can get a little more sleep during their residencies.