Military Pharmacy and PDMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ra1nMak3r

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are Federal own outpatient pharmacies exempt for reporting controlled substances to PDMP?

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I found a few links with conflicting information:

Q: I work exclusively in an organization under the Indian Health Service as a prescriber. I’m told by my employer that I must register with the PDMP, but am contrarily told by the state PDMP office that I am not required to register. Which is correct?

A: The state PDMP office has no jurisdiction over federal employees and therefore cannot require they be registered with the controlled substance prescription database. Alaska Statute AS 08. The Registration and Use Exemptions page located on pdmp.alaska.govacknowledges that there may be a directive from the federal employer requiring PDMP registration; follow the directive of your employer and when submitting a registration request through alaska.pdmpaware.net

(Link here)

2. New Law Requires VA to Participate in State PDMP

Click Here

Sorry couldn't be more helpful! But it's a good start.

Are Federal own outpatient pharmacies exempt for reporting controlled substances to PDMP?

Reactions: 1 users
Exempt: DoD has no obligation (in fact, has fairly harsh penalties for even accidental disclosure) and for its Battlefield Medicine module in AHLTA, that's S or TS territory to disclose. DoS and USAID are exempt without conditions.

Conditionally Exempt: Any other federal facility except VA. To my knowledge, IHS RPMS tries to voluntarily and does so willingly, BOP BEMR has the capability but does not do so as the inmate is institutionalized already.

Not exempt with exceptions: VA as of last legislative year, though the onus is on the practitioners. Exceptions are anyone under our care who are also joint-DoD, IHS, or BOP patients serviced by their facilities and only have their records transmitted back to VA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I was at Ft Carson, we actually approached the Colorado of Board Pharmacy and requested that our data be included in the State's program. They were not interested (at the time). It was a shame because we pushed a lot of Percocet out and felt it would be useful to civilian providers. Granted, this was 2007-2011; something might've changed but I got the feeling that no DoD facility was participating (or allowed to participate). However, our pharmacists and providers were able to register in the program and view civilian prescriptions.

When I was at Ft Carson, we actually approached the Colorado of Board Pharmacy and requested that our data be included in the State's program. They were not interested (at the time). It was a shame because we pushed a lot of Percocet out and felt it would be useful to civilian providers. Granted, this was 2007-2011; something might've changed but I got the feeling that no DoD facility was participating (or allowed to participate). However, our pharmacists and providers were able to register in the program and view civilian prescriptions.

Yeah, Ward Cassells actually had a standing order not to do that due to the issues with the data classification system. We actually wanted to comply at San Antonio, but were specifically directed not to due to the HA office. There was no opposition to us passively using the data, but we could not contribute.

Reactions: 1 user