Military Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Affv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a physical therapy student and I have interest in becoming a physical therapist in the military. I was wondering if anyone has experience with direct commissioning programs outside of the Baylor program? Is it even likely to get picked up for the army being that they pull out of Baylor?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Good GPA and decent physical fitness.

You will have to graduate from PT school and work with an AMEDD Recruiter (if you're looking into Army, IDK about other branches, but they all have their own Medical Recruiters) to direct commission. You can either get in with Active Duty or you can direct commission with Reserves or National Guard ( National Guard typically has 1 or 2 slots for the whole state). You can just Google AMEDD Recruiter Office and you should be able to find an office in your state. Then just reach out to them and one of them will help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for responding and for the information. I will look into that.

In terms of applying, do you know if it is frowned upon to apply to multiple branches during the same cycle to increase your chances?

Thanks again

Thank you for responding and for the information. I will look into that.

In terms of applying, do you know if it is frowned upon to apply to multiple branches during the same cycle to increase your chances?

Thanks again
No. It is not frowned upon, but you might find a few administrative headaches if you do. Each requires a physical and will request one, and then see that you've already had one requested, completed, or something else. Same thing for legal background checks. I think you'll be the only one frowning because applying to one branch is difficult enough, let alone applying to two simultaneously. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the info tcpt!
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you’re looking into the AF this year is done for applications but the upcoming fiscal year will give you another opportunity to apply. We (the AF) are looking to commission about 20 PTs in the next few years to help with BOST and embedded PT positions