Military Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jake2

Radiology Attending
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a radiology resident at a good residency program now. Something I've always wanted to do is a couple year stint in the military when I felt I was in a position where I could really do some good. I was thinking of joining for a two year commitment after my residency finished. I'm particularly interested in doing radiology in a front line CASH hospital where I think I might really be able to make an impact.

I was wondering, do radiologists in all branches of the military, army, navy, and air force wind up doing tours abroad or do most get put into a general pool and wind up working at base hospitals an VAs and such?

What are the odds I'd get a deployment if I requested? Is there any branch that is particularly better for it than the others? Just based on growing up around an air force base, I'd probably go for the air force as a first preference, but my guess is they probably supply fewer radiologists on actual tours.

Also, does anyone know what percentage of time spent on deployment is actually spent as a radiologist rather than a GMO? Are IR skills useful at all?

Thanks for any guidance!

Members don't see this ad.

AFPC, if you're not dead and already moldering, I send news to revive you. A fish to rival the fabled Leviathan has swum into our waters. Get well soon and we'll land it together. Your friend, AF M4.

Ummm.... huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm.... huh?

Quote from one of my favorite shows.

Also, you should call AFPC, the Air Force Personnel Center. Tell them what you want and ask them for contacts you can talk to. Then negotiate with them on what you want to do, deployments you want to go on, and bases/hospitals where you want to live. Ask about options about doing civilian contracting or Reserve/Guard work in the same vein. Get what you want to do in writing on your contract.

To the military's eyes, a doc's a doc. If you're thinking about deploying, you're going to be doing mostly sick call stuff: runny noses, sprained ankles, etc. If you search around on the forum you'll find a few anecdotes about radiologists here and there, but nothing you should really hang your hat on.

And take your time on this kind of decision. If you're in the "make an impact on the world" kind of mood, the military may not be quite what you're expecting. Look into Doctors without Borders and the like as well.

To the military's eyes, a doc's a doc. If you're thinking about deploying, you're going to be doing mostly sick call stuff: runny noses, sprained ankles, etc. If you search around on the forum you'll find a few anecdotes about radiologists here and there, but nothing you should really hang your hat on.

This is not true. A radiologist will not be deployed to do anything clinical. Similarly for a pathologist. They are not clinicians. They will be deployed as a radiologist. They'll read films at the level two and up facilities. I doubt they'll even be anywhere near the CASH or FOB.

I also doubt one can just sign up for a 2yr commitment.

This is not true. A radiologist will not be deployed to do anything clinical. Similarly for a pathologist. They are not clinicians. They will be deployed as a radiologist. They'll read films at the level two and up facilities. I doubt they'll even be anywhere near the CASH or FOB.

I also doubt one can just sign up for a 2yr commitment.

Agree, radiologists depoloy... as radiologists

Being a CSH radiologist can be pretty neat as you get to practice the full spectrum of radiology and the pathology can be unbelieveable.