Military to Doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wareagle77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate grades are dismal as I began as an engineering major, failed several classes and ended up as a political science major. I managed to finish with a 3.2 cGPA, but a lowly 2.2 sGPA (ouch!). However, in an attempt to re-take these failed science and engineering courses, I am completing my BS in Electrical Engineering (all A's so far, it's amazing what a difference a little maturity will make). So, like most people starting down this road, I have several questions that I would appreciate some guidance on. Thanks in advance everyone!

1. With my poor undergraduate performance, I am hoping to got he DO route in order to use the grade replacement policy to my advantage. Has anyone had expierence with this? How will W's and F's from my first attempt at engineering be viewed from several years ago? Will I be able to use my expierences since then to show that I am a more mature student now? If so, how?

2. I understand that a post-bac program will also be to my advantage. However, I am a husband and father; therefore finances will be tight in my going back to school full time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which post-bac programs are the shortest and most affordable?

3. What is the best way to portray my expierence as an Army Officer to the adcoms? How can I tastefully express the magnitude of the responsibility of leading troops in combat?

4. Any other advise/guidance/ direction/ tips would be greatly appreciated also!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the better post-bacs don't really let you blaze through all that quickly I've noticed. If your major concern is getting through prereqs as fast as possible, I'd consider a self directed "post-bac" where you enroll in classes as a non-matriculated student.

As for maturity, consistently high grades, shadowing, volunteering, etc will probably do a lot to put aside those concerns. Its all about consistent proof of improvement over time.

Why would your description of the responsibility of leading troops not be tasteful? Combat is ugly, but that's the reality of it. So if you're worried about that, just make sure you're not going over the top with the imagery.

Advice...Pick up a book outlining this whole process from start to finish. Mededits I think has a good book for this.

-cj8

I left the Army in 2010 and did a two year self-directed post-bac at my state university. My numbers were very low but I had significant success so it can definitely be done. (I start at a great med school I would never have imagined would be interested in me next week).

Recommendations:
1. Really look at where you claim your state of residence? Many states have veteran friendly programs and some states such as TX have fresh start (although I am not an expert on this program and it would mean starting completely over in school it would erase previous mistakes).

2. There are a number of veteran scholarships out there. Post-9/11 GI Bill, Tillman Scholarship etc... that can really help defray costs. Plan to apply to as many as possible.

3. In my opinion one of the biggest areas that military personnel suffer in the application process is research. We have sufficient leadership experience but few of us have spent any time in a lab. Whether you desire a career in research or not start looking early to find a lab that you can work in to gain at least some exposure.

4. Start thinking about letters of recommendation early. Keep in mind that you will have less time to get to know teachers and pick one or two out, distinguish yourself in their class and show up at their office hours so that they will have some idea who you are when you request a letter. Additionally keep in contact with your commanding officers in the military so you can get a letter of recommendation from a few of them.

5. Most of the admissions committees that I applied to were very receptive to the military experience. Explain it in a way civilians can understand (stay away from jargon) and it will be a great advantage.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.