Miller blade technique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

26B

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that the attendings at my institution fall into 2 camps when it comes to using the Miller blade. A majority (probably over 80%) recommend going in straight down over the midline of the tongue, while a few swear by the right paraglossal approach, where the blade is inserted into the gutter between the tongue and tonsil.

Which technique do you prefer when using the Miller blade, and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no JPP but from reading old posts on here, people say if you go paraglossal, you skip past the epiglottis and get a nice view of the cords as you go in. I guess you're supposed to pull the miller to the left once you have the view to get the tube in? My biggest issue with going midline is that when there's a floppy epiglottis, I have trouble getting underneath it and pulling it up for a good view of the cords. I think I'm pushing it in too far like it's a mac blade and getting into vallecula instead of being able to lift the epiglottis.

Reactions: 1 users
My favorite technique with the Miller blade is to detach it from the laryngoscope handle, throw it in the trash, and then use a Mac blade.

Reactions: 29 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't give you a good explanation for it, but I have found right paraglossal tends to result in a better first look view than going midline and it largely removes tongue issues from the equation. I generally only go down the center when it's someone who is thin and whose neck I can easily extend completely. In these scenarios I think it's often a chip shot either way.

Reactions: 1 user
it largely removes tongue issues from the equation. I generally only go down the center when it's someone who is thin and whose neck I can easily extend completely.

:naughty:

My preferred intubation technique with the miller blade is direct laryngoscopy

It seems that the attendings at my institution fall into 2 camps when it comes to using the Miller blade. A majority (probably over 80%) recommend going in straight down over the midline of the tongue, while a few swear by the right paraglossal approach, where the blade is inserted into the gutter between the tongue and tonsil.

Which technique do you prefer when using the Miller blade, and why?

Right paraglossal. You get the benefit of getting the tongue out of the way (makes a difference in the people with fat tongues) with the superior view the Miller provides. Make sure you leave yourself enough room on the right to place the ETT without obscuring your view.

Leave the Mac blade for the children waiting to sprout hair on their chests.

Phillips 1 = the GOAT of peds blades.

Right side, much better control of the tongue.

There are many intubations I've done with a Miller that I, or others, could not get with a Mac blade. The reverse does not exist. You can't intubate with a Miller, you're not gonna get out with a Mac.

Reactions: 3 users
Paraglossal. This is the article I give all my residents on this subject that often changes their perspectives on the Miller blade..

I can't give you a good explanation for it, but I have found right paraglossal tends to result in a better first look view than going midline and it largely removes tongue issues from the equation. I generally only go down the center when it's someone who is thin and whose neck I can easily extend completely. In these scenarios I think it's often a chip shot either way.

This. Right paraglossal almost always beautiful view but looking through that little blade view path. I still prefer MAC but I'm working on things I dont use often at the end of residency.

This. Right paraglossal almost always beautiful view but looking through that little blade view path. I still prefer MAC but I'm working on things I dont use often at the end of residency.

A good view with no room as the saying goes.

Right side, much better control of the tongue.

There are many intubations I've done with a Miller that I, or others, could not get with a Mac blade. The reverse does not exist. You can't intubate with a Miller, you're not gonna get out with a Mac.

If the plan is to DL I go with Miller 2 100% of the time, but I have to begrudgingly admit to some of my colleagues that oropharyngeal clearance and getting redundant tissue out of the way on the 6’2 OSA’er is likely a bit better with the MAC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not Miller 3

The one drawback of the Miller is occasionally having a small space for tube placement after you obtain your view. 98% of folks can be intubated with a Miller 2, and it has a lower profile than the 3...so it only makes sense for that to be your default blade when using a Miller.

I will say though that I do use the 3 if it’s a big dude...sometimes I find I have the entire larnygoscope “hubbed” up to the handle if I use a 2 in those guys.

Why not Miller 3

You don’t need a Miller 3 unless someone is literally like 6’6 or taller. The geometry and leverage points make it more difficult to use on normal size people, and the blade isn’t really that much wider to help with those with a bunch of redundant tissue.

Never an issue for me. Have someone hold the cheek out of the way if you need more space.
I have some nurses do that without asking. Always drives me nuts and I slap their hand away. It’s just totally unnecessary with a Mac blade. ;) :poke:

Allegedly, there are helpers involved for this. No joke.

As a resident, had the mother of a patient I was placing an epidural in for labor proudly proclaim she was in the room holding the pannus back when her grand baby was being conceived. Thanks for sharing, m'am.

As a resident, had the mother of a patient I was placing an epidural in for labor proudly proclaim she was in the room holding the pannus back when her grand baby was being conceived. Thanks for sharing, m'am.

Does that count as a threesome?

Reactions: 6 users

I just threw up. Several times.

Miller 4 carriers ;) @narcusprince don't need retraction.

I’ll see your Miller 4 and raise you a Mac 5:

3787DC24-64B8-4324-8721-35A783F526BC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta be honest the mac5 looks a little more gentler and inviting than the ramrod miller

I have personally treated a patient with a sub-pannicular cellulitis secondary to imbedded splinters from the 2x4 "pannus bar" that the neighbors had graciously held for the missus so as to allow her gentleman unfettered access to her lady parts.

I'm not sure if it was as eyebrow-raising as the ostomy herpes that I treated a couple months later, but it was close.

#medschoolmemories

I have personally treated a patient with a sub-pannicular cellulitis secondary to imbedded splinters from the 2x4 "pannus bar" that the neighbors had graciously held for the missus so as to allow her gentleman unfettered access to her lady parts.

I'm not sure if it was as eyebrow-raising as the ostomy herpes that I treated a couple months later, but it was close.

#medschoolmemories

WOOF aaaand we’re done here folks!

And not too surprising that the dude dirty enough to F a stoma already has herpes.

I'm not sure how we got here as a thread or a society but people are just straight up nasty