Miller's Anatomy of the Dog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philomycus

The Tree Rat
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought the updated version (2007) with electronic access? If so, do you feel it is worth the extra money?

Members don't see this ad.

geez, you're on top of things ;)

By Miller's I'm assuming you mean the "Big" one vs. the "little" one (the dissection guide)? I don't own the "Big" one and our prof. OFTEN refers us to the little one when we have questions about structures. I use that and Pasquini's Anatomy of Domestic Animals and that's it.

If you're trying to get ahead, I'd go ahead and dive into the little one.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really hard to study anatomy without a dog to dissect, especially since they're not testing you on the book, they're testing you on the actual dissected dogs. It's not worth the time if you're not there yet IMO.

But, if you're dead set on doing it, I wouldn't recommend the little book (the dissection guide). You'll be totally lost without the dog to look at. Get the big one or get Dyce's Veterinary Anatomy. Online access is probably not useful btw.

We were told Miller's was the most important book we'd get but I barely use mine at all. In lab we borrow the little miller's guide to dissection or use a color atlas.

I didn't know there was a 2007 edition. is that still the 3rd edition (like the 1993 one) but a reprinting or something?

I have the electronic version + text (I got the bundle version which was only ~15% more than the individual book) and I like it...I can copy the figures into OneNote (A lot of us have tablets at Davis), white out the labels and practice labeling the figures. I also love the ability to search it quickly. I definitely use the book during lab so I don't get dissection juices on my computer, but I love Miller's.

Thanks for your feedback. I just have a gift certificate from Amazon.com and was itching to use it. According to Amazon, the electronic one is still listed as the 3rd ed, but with electronic access as well. I think Saunders publishing is going in that direction with their texts, so you can consolidate info. electronically.

That was ridiculous and awesome at the same time :laugh: . Did you make it?

A few of my friends made it for our vet revue, a very hilarious and quite ridiculous occasion! :)

Buy Pasquini and the small Miller's dissection guide instead of the big book. We have the big book in our library (I'm sure all the schools do), so if I want extra edification I just go to the library.

It's really hard to study anatomy without a dog to dissect, especially since they're not testing you on the book, they're testing you on the actual dissected dogs. It's not worth the time if you're not there yet IMO.

She can do the live dog sections, and also memorize major muscle origins, insertions, and innervations. She can also draw the pictures for some basic muscle and bone familiarity, and become familiar with bones through radiographs. If you have the discipline it would be like one huge pre-lab. However it is hard to learn arteries, veins, nerves and the internal cavities without a dog to dissect.

love the youtube video!

big miller was a total waste of money for me. i bought it before classes started because it was on our required books list and i think i opened once. little miller (dissection guide) is great though. i guess if you're going to be small animal it might be a good investment, but in that case there will probably be a newer version out by the time you graduate anyway.

Holly, I hope you don't mind but I shared the Miller's video with our vet school class.

Our anatomy professor (ever the comedian) had this to say:

"I believe you have broke new ground in defining the (nearly) perfect relationship. Dr. Phil watch out!!! Lets see, what are some advantages:

An economical date with no recurring expenses.
Always available for a good time
Always something intelligent to say
Willing to be a life companion
Never complains if you are seeing other potential " life partners" such as surgery books, and in fact will actually facilitate the relationship and encourage you to see others.
Unlike many other potential life partners such as Mr. or Ms. "Cell Biology" or "Mr or Ms. "Immunology" etc is much more constant in what it says only rarely changing its mind, although on occasion ambiguous and unwilling to explain its purposes.
Of course fidelity is not high on its list having opened it pages to countless thousands.
Etc., etc. and of course etc."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm glad that you all enjoyed it :D

Holly, I hope you don't mind but I shared the Miller's video with our vet school class.

Our anatomy professor (ever the comedian) had this to say:

"I believe you have broke new ground in defining the (nearly) perfect relationship. Dr. Phil watch out!!! Lets see, what are some advantages:

An economical date with no recurring expenses.
Always available for a good time
Always something intelligent to say
Willing to be a life companion
Never complains if you are seeing other potential " life partners" such as surgery books, and in fact will actually facilitate the relationship and encourage you to see others.
Unlike many other potential life partners such as Mr. or Ms. "Cell Biology" or "Mr or Ms. "Immunology" etc is much more constant in what it says only rarely changing its mind, although on occasion ambiguous and unwilling to explain its purposes.
Of course fidelity is not high on its list having opened it pages to countless thousands.
Etc., etc. and of course etc."

:laugh::laugh::laugh: