Mills College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giant Panda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I am trying to find more information on the post-baccalaureate program offered at Mills College (Oakland, CA). I have read through the official website and searched through these forums regarding more detailed information about the program, but come up empty handed.

Some information about myself, I am a graduate from UC Davis with a baccalaureate's in NPB (3.88 overall in Spring 2009).

Now is the program offered at Mills College right for me? I know it's a little hard to answer that without more specifics, but the website itself doesn't really offer any information about what the program has to offer (unless I am blind :laugh:).

Can anyone shed some light on what program itself? Or point in me in the right direction to find this information? I already requested a brochure via snail mail, but thought I'd give SDN a shot as well. :)

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

"Our program is designed for students with bachelor's degrees who lack some or all of the basic science courses to pursue study in the fields of allopathic medicine, osteopathic medicine, dentistry, pharmacology, veterinary medicine, or optometry."

this is off the mills post bacc website. first page. isn't that all you need to know? you have a bachelor's degree, in the field of science, and a 3.88 gpa. why are you looking at a post bacc?

Hello SDN!

I am trying to find more information on the post-baccalaureate program offered at Mills College (Oakland, CA). I have read through the official website and searched through these forums regarding more detailed information about the program, but come up empty handed.

Some information about myself, I am a graduate from UC Davis with a baccalaureate's in NPB (3.88 overall in Spring 2009).

Now is the program offered at Mills College right for me? I know it's a little hard to answer that without more specifics, but the website itself doesn't really offer any information about what the program has to offer (unless I am blind :laugh:).

Can anyone shed some light on what program itself? Or point in me in the right direction to find this information? I already requested a brochure via snail mail, but thought I'd give SDN a shot as well. :)

Thank you in advance!

You are blind :)

http://www.mills.edu/academics/graduate/pmc_gr/

Before I start, I'm just going to copy and paste this excerpt from their FAQ section.

"Who should apply? The Mills post-bac Pre-Med Program looks for individuals who have completed baccalaureate degrees, but have taken fewer than half of the core science courses required for consideration for admission to medical school. These courses are general biology (with laboratory); general chemistry (with laboratory); general physics (with laboratory); and organic chemistry (with laboratory)."

You are a NPB major from UC Davis meaning you have taken general physics (physics 7 series), ochem (chem 118 series), gen chem (chem 2 series) as well as the general biology (bio 1 series). So how does this program apply to you?

Furthermore why are you applying to a post-bacc program with a 3.88 GPA from a science major? By having a high GPA from a science major already why would you even enroll in any post-bacc program. It would be a waste of time and money in my opinion.

Go study for the MCAT so you can apply early next cycle (June) and start requesting LOR from science faculty and physicians if you haven't already. I would also keep up any volunteering/shadowing/clinical activities that you might have.