• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

About the Ads

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I attended Mills from 2005-2006. It's a great program. Classes are small and very cooperative. Lots of close interaction with faculty, all of whom are very approachable.

The program seems pretty known, as well. I've had a few interviewers mention it. I felt the content prepared me fairly well for the MCAT.

Only complaint I'd have is the cost. Feel free to post any questions about the place. You may find others chime in. I know one or two Mills alum who are on the boards.

raceblk

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I got into the Mills program as well and have decided to attend. I've heard a lot of great things about it, although not from anyone that has completed the program. I met with the Program Coordinator to get more information about the program and she gave me the email addresses of some folks that are in the program if you're interested.

SnarkLA

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I just was accepted as well, I am curious about how this program has prepared its students for med school, and comments would be greatly appreciated thanks!

uclabruin1920

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
hey everyone. I'm interested in attending the mills post-bac program...can u guys give me some idea of the stats of accepted students if u have any ideas? like gpa info, sats, age. thanks!

SnarkLA

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm 22 graduating in may w a 3.70 cum Marketing / Music produciton major... if that helps... I like the idea of a small classroom that mills offers, but i havent heard back on how their graduates do...

raceblk

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm 22 graduating in may w a 3.70 cum Marketing / Music produciton major... if that helps... I like the idea of a small classroom that mills offers, but i havent heard back on how their graduates do...

You should definitely email their Program Coordinator, and she may be able to forward you the list that Mills updates each year with where its PBPM grads go on to medical school. You can find her info here: http://mills.edu/academics/faculty/pmc_gr/index.php#staff

elspethgreene

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
I got into the post-bac program at Mills, too. I think I'm probably going to go there, so we should all keep in touch. I have no idea about housing..either.

About the Ads

tnan

10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Looks like I'm in at Mills. =) I'm considering living on campus, but I'd like to have my car during the school year so I'll have to see what my options are...

I graduated from UC Berkeley's Architecture program last year. 22/F. How about you guys?

tnan

10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I just started looking on craigslist last night. So far I see mostly houses... And everything else doesn't seem as close to campus as I would like. I'm thinking of visiting the campus within the next week. I'll try to post pictures for you guys.

SnarkLA

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i'd love to see the campus to, i dont think ill get the time, let us know how it is though!

tnan

10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

So I went to the campus on Friday and took some pictures. You can check them out here: http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w189/millspostbac/

If anyone is interested in being put on a post-bac mailing list (for getting info on housing) they should contact Jo Scullion.

I'd like to live on campus. Is anyone else interested?

Here are some random tidbits:

- The list of medical school acceptances was posted on Jo Scullion’s window. Sorry for the glare... It was a very sunny day. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w189/millspostbac/IMG_3246.jpg

- Overall, I thought the campus was very pretty, quiet, laid back, and intimate. Everyone I came across was friendly and helpful.

- If you plan on living on campus you’ll have a 5 – 10 minute walk at most to your post-bac classes, and that’s at a leisurely pace. The library, CPM building, the new Natural Sciences building (set to open by the Fall), the residence halls, and the Rothwell Center are very close to one another.

- One undergrad told me that going to Mills was one of the best things she had ever done. However, she mentioned that it did have its faults. In her experience the campus is pretty isolated and she hasn’t seen much of Oakland, let alone the rest of the Bay Area. Since I’m from the Bay Area I don’t think I’ll have the same issues with doing things off-campus. She also said to be aware of the feminists on campus, and she lamented the fact that there weren’t very many males. Ha.

- You can live on campus and have a car.

- The townhouses are hard to get. You basically need to have a team assembled before applying.

- The library seems small to me, but the librarians said that there are always seats available, even during finals. There is only 1 seminar room in the library, which is kind of a downer considering the post-bacs like to study in groups. If you ask at the front desk you might be able to use the slides room for group studying, but only if nobody needs to look at slides.

- A former post-bac student said that his class was about 55% female and 45% male. The majority of the students were about 1 or 2 years out of undergrad, with a long tail of other ages.

Yet even more info I obtained from a former post-bac:

1) Did most of the post-bacs live on or off campus?
Most of the post-bacs lived off campus.
2) What have you heard about the residence halls on campus?
They're very convenient, but have thin walls and can sometimes be loud. There's a new housing complex on campus that sounds like a good place to live, not sure what it’s called, though.
3) I've been looking on craigslist and I don't see very many apartments available. Is it just mostly houses around Mills?
Mostly houses around Mills.
4) Do you have any suggestions for housing? I'd prefer to be within walking distance to my classes and stores...
You can find more apartment options near Lake Merritt in Oakland. I also found that there were a lot of rooms for rent on Craigslist that were close to Mills, but it can be awkward living with other folks. Some students lived in Berkeley, and a good number lived in San Francisco and did the reverse commute. There are grocery stores close to Mills in the Oakland Hills.
5) How about parking? Can you still have a car if you live on campus?
I think so, but parking has become more difficult with increased enrollment. I would check with the local officials when you visit campus.
6) How safe is it around Mills?
NOT SAFE. Don't go out on foot at night. The campus itself is beautiful and safe; the surrounding areas are dangerous.

1. How well does Mills prepare you for med school in comparison to other post-bac programs?
I think it is comparable to programs like Bryn Mawr where you have some structure and lots of contact with professors.
2. What are they looking for in their applicants?
Dedication to medicine, clarity in why you are making this career change, what you would add to the community (think of it as a mini medical school personal statement)
3. Do you know what the acceptance rate is (or if it's competitive to get into)?
It has traditionally been very competitive, but last year was less so because some of the local state schools started programs that cost a lot less. I would expect it to become competitive again, especially as more people find out about the program.
4. Do you know how many people successfully get in to med school?
The information is vague, but I think its somewhere north of 80%. Some of the folks who don't go to med school do so because they take different routes like nursing or public health. Mills has a very good record of students being accepted to California schools.
5. How are the classes? Are they difficult?
The level of instruction is excellent. Dave Keeports, the physics instructor, is the best lecture professor I've ever had. Classes are not hard per se, but do require a lot of work.
6. Are the classes curved? If so, are you curved against the undergrads or just the post-bacs?
Grades are points based, so you don't have to worry about competing against your peers, making for a very collaborative environment. Post-bac lecture sections are separate, labs are mixed with undergrads.
7. How much did you study every week?
I studied a lot. I was still in a work mentality so that made the transition easier. I would say on average 20 - 30 hours per week or more depending on what was on the schedule, plus MCAT studying.
8. How helpful is Mills when you're looking for internship, volunteer, or research opportunities?
The Mills program itself is good, you should talk to Jo Scullion, program manager, she is awesome. Current and former students are excellent sources of information.
9. Why did you choose Mills?
Grades are points based, friendly environment, very good track record with California schools, close to family support network
10. Do you have any other words of wisdom?
Mills is great. I had a wonderful time there. It is a very supportive environment with excellent professors and dedicated students. The Bay Area is one of my favorite places in the world. I would very highly recommend the program.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Jo Scullion rocks, by the way. Don't hesitate to use her as a resource. Very nice and knows the program well.

For those looking for housing, talk to a local before getting a place from afar. The campus (which is beautiful, by the way) is very safe. It's an oasis of green grass and trees in an otherwise pretty blighted neighborhood. You do not want to take a place sight unseen, as housing quality within walking distance to Mills is spotty at best and many of the neighborhoods are ones in which students walking alone at night is not a good idea.

ucbstudent07

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
hey everyone--
i just decided on mills too! i'm finishing my undergrad at berkeley, and am planning on living in san francisco. for those of you not from the area, mills is in east oakland which has a fairly high crime rate, but san francisco isn't too far and the oakland hills/piedmont are nice too...neither are within walking distance though, obviously. anyone taking chemistry over the summer? was thinking of doing that...anway, take care!

About the Ads

AmyQ

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
Chico, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Is it true that there are 50-60 students in the Mills PBPM program? That is what the website says, but that seems like a lot of students.
And, if that's true, then not very many of them got into med school from the list that "tnan" took a photo of (considering the list is compiled over 5 years or so...)
I guess this could be because some of the PBPM students were applying to other health profession or vet schools too.
I am just curious about this, since we have to decide in a couple of days whether or not to attend (April 12th, right?) I'm getting anxious!

AmyQ

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
Chico, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It might be a good idea to email Jo on this issue. I think it is true that there are 50-60 students, but i'm not sure if that means 1st and 2nd year students combined. What other programs are you considering?

I emailed Jo yesterday, and she replied that there are 55-65 students in the program, but didn't clarify if this was combined over the 2 years...however, I'm pretty sure that it is. In any case, I decided yesterday to go to Mills, and so I am super excited! I think it's going to be a great experience next year. I was also strongly considering Mt. Holyoke, but Mills is closer to home, and has a better acceptance rate into California med schools. :D

Have a good day everyone!
Amy

scorps

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Is it true that there are 50-60 students in the Mills PBPM program? That is what the website says, but that seems like a lot of students.
And, if that's true, then not very many of them got into med school from the list that "tnan" took a photo of (considering the list is compiled over 5 years or so...)
I guess this could be because some of the PBPM students were applying to other health profession or vet schools too.
I am just curious about this, since we have to decide in a couple of days whether or not to attend (April 12th, right?) I'm getting anxious!

I just looked at the list again and although the title is "Mills Medical School Final Accepts," the column for the schools says "matriculated." When you think about it, the numbers make a lot more sense if it's a list for where students matriculated.

Is anyone who went to Mills still on this board? I'm still trying to decide whether to attend...

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Is anyone who went to Mills still on this board? I'm still trying to decide whether to attend...
I'm on postbac board occassionally. I'm at UCD SOM right now but went to Mills.

tnan's detailed Q&A up above is very accurate.

The number of about 60 would be total students. It's pretty much a two year program, though some only go for one year. I'd say about 40 students are applying to med school in any given cycle, though keep in mind that I finished at Mills in 2006.

I think Mills is one of the best programs on the west coast. Very collaborative and not a lot of gunners. Great placement rates to medical school in general. Best science faculty you'll find.

If you're interested in going to a UC, it's one of the best schools in the country. In my year, we placed 6 students at UCSF alone, which is a sizeable little minority of UCSF's class. I know that in my year we also placed 2 at UC Dvais and a couple at UCLA and UCSD. Not sue about UCI.

Do you have any specific questions?

Lindseysayshi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I cannot believe I found this website! I have been scrambling for info on the Mills program since I got my acceptance letter 5 days ago! I live in Texas so I don't have the time to visit the campus before I have to decide (16th!). I do have a few questions for anyone that comes across this thread:
1. What is the average class and lab size?
2. How helpful are the second year students to the first years?
3. Over the two year program, what classes did you take each semester?
4. Did you have time to volunteer?
5. If I do live off-campus (most likely), how is the commute and what is the parking situation for off-campus students?

A lot of the people who previously replied (last year) must be finishing their first year of classes and I would love to hear from them! I have heard that the campus is very "clique" oriented, but I guess if my clique is fellow premed students, that's a good thing!

Lindsey

PostBacGirl

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2008
Status (Visible)
Is anyone else here attending the Mills PostBac program in Fall 08? I'm going to be starting my first year there and would like to get to know anyone who's going to be there next year. I'm also going to start looking for housing pretty soon. Does anyone have advice on on-campus or off-campus housing?

skiphotsauce

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
I'm in Mills too and sent in my deposit check but still unsure as to whether I will attend. One of the posts above said that most of the post-bac students live off campus, but it seems that is far and dangerous. Any advice on housing?

PostBacGirl

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2008
Status (Visible)
I don't know the area well enough to give reliable advice on housing. However, I'm semi-familiar with Oakland/Berkeley/San Francisco. You would probably not want to live in the area directly surrounding Mills: it is not a safe or nice area (in my opinion.) However, if you are willing to drive for about 15 minutes you could live in a nicer area with more resources (grocery stores, coffee houses, shopping, a larger student population, things to do etc.) From what I saw, the campus and on-campus housing seem very nice. However, I don't think I want to live on campus because of the fact that I don't like the surrounding area.

lilaznangel134

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
I will be attending Mills post bacc for Fall of 2008. yay. I am excited. I am originally from the Bay Area but I am not too familiar with the surrounding area around Mills College. I was going to visit after I graduate and look for housing around the area (walking distance from Mills). I got the impression that around Mills, the location isn't too bad but once you are a couple of miles off Mills is more unsafe... but who really knows until one visits the place. Since I am not bringing a car ... I personally wanted to live close to Mills but not on-campus because it's rather expensive (you are required to get a meal plan if you live in the dorms).

PostBacGirl

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2008
Status (Visible)
I drove around the outside of Mills, and I wouldn't want to live within walking distance of the campus. I didn't look very safe and I just didn't see any resources in the area (like grocery stores, places to get coffee or hang out etc.) Let me know what you think when you visit. Who do you think we could direct these types of questions to at Mills? Jo Scullion?

lilaznangel134

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
I drove around the outside of Mills, and I wouldn't want to live within walking distance of the campus. I didn't look very safe and I just didn't see any resources in the area (like grocery stores, places to get coffee or hang out etc.) Let me know what you think when you visit. Who do you think we could direct these types of questions to at Mills? Jo Scullion?

Hmmm that's interesting. :p Hmmmm... I wish I kinda visited early on but it was sooo crazy b/c of graduation and all. Well, I may want to live a couple of miles off from the school and just bike to school but I am debating still... considering the fact that I don't know what the area is like. But few of my other friends told me that it might not be too safe around there but I did want to check it out for my own self. I am going to most definitely get a pepper spray and maybe something else to protect myself - just in case. :p Hmmm... I don't think Jo Scullion will be the best person to contact about the housing related issues as she is the programs coordinator. I can't think of anyone at the moment but I will get back to you about it if I do think of someone.

Brent8927

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi Everyone,

I'm just finishing at Mills and I thought I'd comment on the housing since it seems like something people are concerned about.

Personally, I wouldn't live in the area around the campus--it's not that safe. The campus itself is very safe, though it's hard to get to the grocery store, etc. unless you have a car. There is a free shuttle that can take you to the grocery store.

Almost all of the post-bacs commute to campus. I lived on campus one semester in the townhouses, which are really nice, but really expensive. If you live in the townhouse you don't have to but the meal plan, and you have a full kitchen.

A good number of students seem to live in SF; most commute via car. Some take BART (the regional light rail) and then a bus or shuttle from the BART station to campus. I live in Berkeley, which is about a 15 min drive away. In addition, there's a free shuttle that runs hourly between Mills, the UC Berkeley Campus, and the Rockridge BART Station in Oakland (the Rockridge area is a very nice area). I used it a few times when my car broke down and I thought it was pretty great. It only stops at those three locations (and the medical center at UC Berkeley, if someone requests it) so it's pretty fast compared to a bus.

I've really enjoyed my time here and I think the program is wonderful. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have,

-Brent

PostBacGirl

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2008
Status (Visible)
Brent-

Thanks so much for your advice. It's interesting to hear that a lot of the PostBacs commute from San Francisco; I would like to live in SF, but I figured that I'll be busy and won't have time for the (relatively) long commute. I'll probably end up living in Berkeley near the UC campus (it's nice to know that there's a shuttle to Mills that runs so frequently-I had no idea.) What area of Berkeley did you live in? I'm also curious about how you managed your time living off campus; did you have to go back and forth between your home and the campus more than once a day, or were you able to schedule all of your classes and labs more or less in one block of time?

Brent8927

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi PostBacGirl,

I live north of the UC campus. If you're familiar with Berkeley, I'm a few blocks north of Shattuck and University. I used to live on the south side of campus. In case you plan to rely on the Mills Shuttle, it stops near Sproul Plaza (at Bancroft and Telegraph) and again at Rockridge BART (on College Ave).

I'm almost positive the shuttle can get you to campus by 9:00, but if you plan to rely on the shuttle, I would give public safety a call to make sure the shuttle runs that early (the schedule is normally available on the Mills website, but I can't seem to find the actual timetables)

I never needed to go back and forth between my home and campus (unless I forgot my notebook or something!). On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, the lectures are between 9:00 and 12:00 (lectures are 50 min, so unless you're taking three courses you won't be in class from 9-12 straight) Labs start around 1:00 or 1:30, so you get a nice break for lunch and last minute lab prep. You can also take labs on Tuesday and Thursday, where you can chose the morning section (about 9-12:00) or afternoon session (about 1:00-4:00).

If you want to see the exact schedule for the coming year, you can go to Mills.edu, click on "academics" up at the top, and then "course schedule."

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I try my best to check out the SDN threads, but a more reliable way to contact me would be to send a PM.

-Brent

Brizzle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi all, I'm starting the Mills PB this fall and opted to live in the neighborhood right outside campus. So far I have to say it's a very quiet, safe neighborhood. All the neighbors tell me that there is an unspoken boundary a bit south of campus and that the area above that is great. I've been here 2 weeks and haven't seen any evidence of the unsafe reputation - everyone is very friendly, lots of people walking their dogs etc. Just my 2 cents, and to be fair, I'm relocating from a rough area of Brooklyn so my perspective may be skewed slightly.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.