Mills vs. UC Berkeley extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allecto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these two programs and I'm hoping that someone can provide me some input. First, a little background to help clarify what I'm looking for: I'll graduate from UCB this spring, at which my GPA is good but I avoided taking any sciences. I've also worked several years, so I'm considered a career-changer. I've been accepted to Mills but I'm not sure I could afford it. This makes UCB extension seem more attractive (also it would allow me to continue to work part-time) but I'm concerned the classes are as difficult/cut-throat as they are at the main campus. I'm planning to apply to Dental school once I've taken the sciences I need.

So basically I'm wondering if Mills is as good as people say (worth the money?) and if UCB extension is doable- I'm looking to be prepared, not murdered. Also, if anyone has any idea which would be better for predental.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also thinking about taking UCB Extension Post-bac to apply for dental school. I am definitely a career changer.

Would like to hear about the feedback on the UCB Extension experience...
1. Class Size
2. Course work
3. Did it help you to prepare?
4. % of student accepted to Dental school from the program... and etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
i seriously doubt uc extension is as competitive as on the main campus. however, i also doubt they will offer the science courses you need to apply for many dental schools. basic sciences they'll have, but classes such as anatomy, physiology, i dont know. might want to look up on that

*edit* actually i think i remember hearing people taking anatomy class at extension, so i'm probably wrong

i'm currenly taking immunology through the berkeley extension. i graduated in 2008 with all of my required science courses, so i'm basically doing this out of interest alone (not sure what they offer if you're looking for required sciences for dental school).

i live in ny, so its strictly online. mostly reading, weekly discussions, quizzes, a couple midterms and a final. my take so far is that you get out of the course, what you put into it.

I took seven upper division science classes through the UC Berkeley "post-bac" program. It is a good program if you are working since all the classes are at night or Saturday mornings. If you are not working and are a full time student, this may not be for you. Also, I can't stress this enough...Be VERY CAREFUL of which instructor you take. I took a genetics class with the wrong professor and got a C-. Some of the professors are downright terrible in this program and not afraid to fail students.

I took Anatomy, Anatomy Lab, and Physiology at Berk Extension and was happy with what I got. Having suffered through the horrors of getting into SFSU informal post-bacc classes 2003-2005, Extension's whole "If you have money and register right away you get your class" was a breath of fresh air.

I think because there aren't any real "Requirements" to just take classes there, it's sort of a crapshoot how challenging the professors are. Physio was honestly a joke, but then again it was a lower division entry course so what do you expect. Anatomy lab and lecture were much more challenging, but very fair in my opinion and have been key in my success in first quarter dental school.

http://extension.berkeley.edu/spos/premed.html for the courses available...looks to me like you could take everything you'd need. So I recommend it because of the ease of registering, but it is expensive and some classes are landmines. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

I took Anatomy, Anatomy Lab, and Physiology at Berk Extension and was happy with what I got. Having suffered through the horrors of getting into SFSU informal post-bacc classes 2003-2005, Extension's whole "If you have money and register right away you get your class" was a breath of fresh air.

Did UOP say anything favorable about the post bac program in Berkeley when you interviewed there? I am just wondering since UOP is my top choice.

Did UOP say anything favorable about the post bac program in Berkeley when you interviewed there? I am just wondering since UOP is my top choice.

Yea in fact when I spoke with Kathy Candito before taking the classes, I asked her about Cal Extension and how they felt about it. Her response was that they have had many students take classes there and the consensus has been that everyone has been pleased with their results.

Yea in fact when I spoke with Kathy Candito before taking the classes, I asked her about Cal Extension and how they felt about it. Her response was that they have had many students take classes there and the consensus has been that everyone has been pleased with their results.

Best news I've heard all cycle, haha...hopefully it pays off for me like it did for you.