Minimal Work History

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brommander

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

Long-time lurker and decided to join to post about something that I have been worried about now that I am getting ready to apply. I have minimal work history after high school and I am 25. I worked for my parents during high school but since then I've mostly been going to school. I went to UG, law school, and now finishing a post bacc. I worked as a tutor during one summer and as note-taker for disabled students for 6 months but that is about it. I am currently working as a tutor at a learning center part time and have been offered a scribing job but I am hesitant to take it. I've only been tutoring for 3 months and given my work history I don't want to seem like I can't hold down a job. The scribing job would be great experience and it is full-time so I am tempted to take it. What do you guys think? Should I take the job? It would technically be my first real full time job and I really want to do it. Only thing holding me back is that I'd have to leave the tutoring job I've only been doing for a couple of months. Will this hurt my app?
 
Unfortunately I cannot. The tutoring job is actually a big time commitment (everyday), where I tutor 20 kids and I have my own classroom. I'm pretty much like an actual teacher but I am only with them half the day. The times overlap with the scribing job and I cannot adjust the hours for either job since I am the only tutor assigned to these kids and I wold be the only scribe for the physician.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bump...Any advice? Still can't decide whether it is a good idea leaving my tutoring job for the scribe position.
 
Bump...Any advice? Still can't decide whether it is a good idea leaving my tutoring job for the scribe position.
If your premed, leave the tutoring for the scribe. Scribing is about the best experience a premed can get. Don't worry about Job instability, 25 is not so old that you can't get away with that, especially considering your graduate/law background. What you need to do is make a very good answer to why medicine? Cause it looks like you are hoping around. Scribing will help you make that answer much better, tutoring will not.