Minimum MCAT score for each section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R0h

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, I just received my MCAT score.. I think I have a serious issue with my grades.
I got 505 in total. However, my grade on CAR is just brutal :(
I am just wondering if there are any schools that may accept students with low CAR scores :(

Members don't see this ad.

How brutal is the CARS score?????
121.. I am assuming MD program is out of my reach :( To be honest, I am not even sure if I have shot in DO schools..

Members don't see this ad :)
How brutal is the CARS score?????

Depending on what schools you apply to and if you're a URM or not, you still have a shot for some MD and DO schools depending on your ECs.

Hijack note: @Goro has a new cat picture!!!!!! :soexcited:

Regardless of the scale being used, the minimum cutoff score can be found by using the so-called Rule of Medians: the cutoff is usually the median subsection score. What does this mean? For the old MCAT where the subsection score ranged from 1-15, the median subsection is an 8. So that would be the cutoff and anything lower may be heading the danger zone.

For the new MCAT, the subsection score ranges from 118-132, so the median is 125. Below a 125 would be a danger zone.

To decide whether to retake, if your subsection is less than median - 1, you should plan on retaking to avoid being screened out by MD schools. I don't know how DO schools do it but i'd guess it's something similar.

Depending on what schools you apply to and if you're a URM or not, you still have a shot for some MD and DO schools depending on your ECs.

Hijack note: @Goro has a new cat picture!!!!!! :soexcited:

I do not have great specs like some people in SDN. My GPA in my second undergrad is 3.88, but 3.00 if I add the courses I took in my first undergrad. Moreover, I will be considered as out-of-state or international candidates :(

I have clinical exposures including shadowing family physicians and a surgeon. Hours contributed as a volunteer and research assistant are over 100 hours each.

I will be able to obtain reference letters from physicians and professors. That is about it..

For now, I need a realistic perspective for my application. Is it even worth applying to MD programs?

Regardless of the scale being used, the minimum cutoff score can be found by using the so-called Rule of Medians: the cutoff is usually the median subsection score. What does this mean? For the old MCAT where the subsection score ranged from 1-15, the median subsection is an 8. So that would be the cutoff and anything lower may be heading the danger zone.

For the new MCAT, the subsection score ranges from 118-132, so the median is 125. Below a 125 would be a danger zone.

To decide whether to retake, if your subsection is less than median - 1, you should plan on retaking to avoid being screened out by MD schools. I don't know how DO schools do it but i'd guess it's something similar.

Thank you for the advice.

I received a 123 in CARS. 509 Total (129,123,128,129).

Any advice?

Same here, I got a 128/123/127/129 = 507 and I am terrified that I'm going to be screened out everywhere for MD.

I looked thru MSAR and barely any schools have matriculants that had a 7 in verbal....

I received a 123 in CARS. 509 Total (129,123,128,129).

Any advice?
Same here, I got a 128/123/127/129 = 507 and I am terrified that I'm going to be screened out everywhere for MD.

I looked thru MSAR and barely any schools have matriculants that had a 7 in verbal....

Unfortunately, a 123 is below the cutoff line. A retake is probably in order for US MD schools unless you are URM + ESL. It's a bit risky though since you have essentially a 30 on the old score, so it's a difficult situation. @Goro and @gyngyn can verify this.

Unfortunately, a 123 is below the cutoff line. A retake is probably in order for US MD schools unless you are URM + ESL. It's a bit risky though since you have essentially a 30 on the old score, so it's a difficult situation. @Goro and @gyngyn can verify this.
Combined with international status, this is a non-starter for MD.

Reactions: 1 users