Minnesota Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishpint

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a letter saying I'm on the alternate list for the U of M. Anyone else hear this? Says they sent out 96 acceptances for the 96 spots and for each spot they have to fill after that they take an alternate...doesn't sound like too bad a deal, unless of course they just put everyone on the alternate list. I did interview there, so I have that going for me.

Just curious

Members don't see this ad.

irishpint said:
Just got a letter saying I'm on the alternate list for the U of M. Anyone else hear this? Says they sent out 96 acceptances for the 96 spots and for each spot they have to fill after that they take an alternate...doesn't sound like too bad a deal, unless of course they just put everyone on the alternate list. I did interview there, so I have that going for me.

Just curious

Hey irishpint, I recieved the same letter. I interviewed there in late nov. How about you? I totally agree about the wait listing everyone and how that would suck for us. Let's hope the best. :)

rambo2006 said:
Hey irishpint, I recieved the same letter. I interviewed there in late nov. How about you? I totally agree about the wait listing everyone and how that would suck for us. Let's hope the best. :)

I interviewed in early October as a state resident. I'm doing my best to convince myself that they don't just interview every state resident and then place them all on the waiting list.

Also, another school told me that people with state schools are not considered as highly since it's very likely that they'd attend their state school rather than a private school, which might explain why we haven't heard much from other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
irishpint said:
I interviewed in early October as a state resident. I'm doing my best to convince myself that they don't just interview every state resident and then place them all on the waiting list.

Also, another school told me that people with state schools are not considered as highly since it's very likely that they'd attend their state school rather than a private school, which might explain why we haven't heard much from other schools.

I do know a buddy of mine who is a MN resident. He didnt do too well on the DAT (AA: 16, PA: 15) and thier GPA is around 3.3 ish. He told me that he had his interview last week at the U of MN and that they told him there are aprox. 20 seats left. Out of 96, I dont know how optimistic we should be. Does this mean that the 76 others recieved acceptances and CONFIRMED WITH DEPOSIT to hold thier spot.
Anyhow, it kind of sucks that other state schools are soooo loyal to their residents by sometimes accepting almost only them, while our school is public, state funded, and they are an all around picking school.

I got the same letter. I am an instate person as well. We will just have to wait and see. I wish they would tell you where you fall in the rankings. What is there to gain by keeping that a secret?

ElMudo said:
I got the same letter. I am an instate person as well. We will just have to wait and see. I wish they would tell you where you fall in the rankings. What is there to gain by keeping that a secret?

My guess as to why they keep it a secret is that our grades change after each semester and that changes the rankings. That's my guess.