Minnesota limited dental license for international dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tRNA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow dentists,

I am an international dentist, just passed my INBDE, currently living in Texas
I heard that Minnesota state dental board offers 3 years of limited dental license for international dentists. Basically you work as a dentist but under the supervision of another dentist for 3 yrs then you have the potential to apply for an american dental license and it is up to the Minnesota dental board to grant or reject you that license ( however, if granted this license you can only practice with it in Minnesota).

My question is, I have heard from couple of people that it is extremely difficult for any international dentist to be granted the american dental license, even if they have finished working with the "3 yrs limited dental license" and it is very rare for the board to grant that license. If anyone has experience or knowledge of that ie. is it easy or near impossible to get a dental license through that rout, please help me out....
Thank you so much in advance
Best wishes to you all

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow dentists,

I am an international dentist, just passed my INBDE, currently living in Texas
I heard that Minnesota state dental board offers 3 years of limited dental license for international dentists. Basically you work as a dentist but under the supervision of another dentist for 3 yrs then you have the potential to apply for an american dental license and it is up to the Minnesota dental board to grant or reject you that license ( however, if granted this license you can only practice with it in Minnesota).

My question is, I have heard from couple of people that it is extremely difficult for any international dentist to be granted the american dental license, even if they have finished working with the "3 yrs limited dental license" and it is very rare for the board to grant that license. If anyone has experience or knowledge of that ie. is it easy or near impossible to get a dental license through that rout, please help me out....
Thank you so much in advance
Best wishes to you all
Ftd like you. It can be very hard to get the limited license in the first place. I've had my initial application rejected twice.

Why don’t you just apply and do a foreign-trained dentist 2-year program at an US dental school like thousands of other foreign-trained dentists before you instead of trying to go through this shortcut? Then you can work anywhere in the US. Please don’t say that it’s too competitive or time-consuming or too much debt, we US-trained dentists go through a longer education and a higher debt load for our DDS/DMD degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don’t you just apply and do a foreign-trained dentist 2-year program at an US dental school like thousands of other foreign-trained dentists before you instead of trying to go through this shortcut? Then you can work anywhere in the US. Please don’t say that it’s too competitive or time-consuming or too much debt, we US-trained dentists go through a longer education and a higher debt load for our DDS/DMD degrees.
Well, you've also got to consider that many FTD's may not be eligible for federal loans and/or if they've got an immigrant background, might find it difficult to find any kind of private loans to pay for dental school in the first place. I'd say you'd find it a little difficult to come up with a couple of hundred grand from friends/family/earnings if you had to pay cash for your degree.
Might want to think about the fact that not everyone has access to the same resources you might have had to get into and through school. Just my $0.2

Well, you've also got to consider that many FTD's may not be eligible for federal loans and/or if they've got an immigrant background, might find it difficult to find any kind of private loans to pay for dental school in the first place. I'd say you'd find it a little difficult to come up with a couple of hundred grand from friends/family/earnings if you had to pay cash for your degree.
Might want to think about the fact that not everyone has access to the same resources you might have had to get into and through school. Just my $0.2
I don't know about other people's situation so I can't comment on that, but I know YOU personally has no issue with paying 650k for an ortho degree from GSO and you even consider that a good deal as mentioned in one of your previous posts. Therefore the quoted statements might sound a little bit hypocritical coming from YOU, just saying. In addition, do you think it's fair if foreign trained dentists can get their dental education for a very small cost or even free in most countries (including your country India) and come to the US expecting to get paid as much as their American colleagues who are in a lot of dental school debt?

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know about other people's situation so I can't comment on that, but I know YOU personally has no issue with paying 650k for an ortho degree from GSO and you even consider that a good deal as mentioned in one of your previous posts. Therefore the quoted statements might sound a little bit hypocritical coming from YOU, just saying. In addition, do you think it's fair if foreign trained dentists can get their dental education for a very small cost or even free in most countries (including your country India) and come to the US expecting to get paid as much as their American colleagues who are in a lot of dental school debt?
Again, I make no bones about the fact that I am, in comparison, rather privileged.
I suppose quoting my post counts as a citation?😂
As for FTD's who pay nothing and then get a state license..... Maybe take that up with your local legislature? Maybe convince your local dso's to stop hiring anybody with a license and a pulse?
Or your practice owner colleagues from hiring ftd associates?
I'd say anyone in licensed practice meets the legal requirements for education and experience and is in every way an equal to a US DMD/DDS. Sounds like you might feel differently about that, but that's okay.

Reactions: 1 user
So did anyone go through the process and got the limited license?