Minnesota vs. Mississippi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SnowyPlover

UMN CVM c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am trying to decide between going to UMN CVM and MSU CVM. Right now I really love how welcoming Mississippi was and the students did appear to be very happy. However, I was very impressed with UMN facilities and felt like they had a lot to offer experience wise. I am very interested in wildlife, so its a plus that they have the raptor center. I am from CA so the snow would be an adjustment so I'm also wondering how big of an adjustment this will be. Overall I am just wondering if you guys could offer me your views on how happy the students are, the weather, how helpful/ approachable the professors are, and how many opportunities there are at both schools. Any insight you guys can give me is appreciated! 🙂
 
This is tough for me to comment on objectively - I am waitlisted at Mississippi. I had interviewed at both places and have friends whom I stayed with at both places as well. Had I fortunate enough to be in your position, I would have chosen Minnesota. I am from NY - just outside the city limits - and while I am looking for a less populated place I do like what a city so close has to offer. I could find whatever I was looking for in Minn - while the closest mall was an hour and a half away in Starkville.
I really like the academic program at both schools - each had thier perks. Minnesota does have a higher case load at thier hospital than Miss, but Miss gives you two years exposure as compared to only 1 year at Minn. Both let you "build" your externship 4th year. Minn has thier own 3T MRI dedicated to the vet school, while Miss uses the human MRI in town- two very very different circumstances! I am interested in research, and a couple schools have summer research experiences that you may not be able to take advantage of because Miss starts classes in July while otherst give you the entire summer off. If you are interested in research, Mississippi does offer one of the 14 summer experiences- and I believe it does come with a stipend.
As for life student life - both of my friends absolutely love the support they get from both the administration and their fellow students. They both say the environment is not cut throat and is more nurturing. My buddy at Minn referred to it as "Cooom baay yaaa - ish" - not sure if that is how you spell it.
Not sure if this helps at all - but if other current students don't post here I can see if I can put you in touch with these two students if you would like.
Good Luck with your decision!
 
I am very interested in wildlife, so its a plus that they have the raptor center. I am from CA so the snow would be an adjustment so I'm also wondering how big of an adjustment this will be. Overall I am just wondering if you guys could offer me your views on how happy the students are, the weather, how helpful/ approachable the professors are, and how many opportunities there are at both schools. Any insight you guys can give me is appreciated! 🙂

MN also has the Wildlife Rehab Center, which isn't too far from UMN (driving distance, not walking). Might be some internship opportunities there. http://www.wrcmn.org/

Not sure what to tell you about the snow. My hunch is that it's not the snow that gets people who aren't used to a northern climate, it's the cold. Usually in order for it to snow it's not horrifically cold. Other than making a mess of traffic, snow isn't too bad. And so many of our winter sports are based on snow that people usually welcome at least some of it. (Though this year was overboard.....) What sucks is the Jan-Feb deep freeze: every year it feels like we go bitter cold for 2-6 weeks; the kind of thing where you step outside and your skin freezes.

The other issue, I suppose, is SAD (or whatever it's called nowadays?). We don't get huge amounts of useful sunlight in the winter, so if that would bother you......

Personally, I love the weather because it has variety. But I'm probably an odd duck that way.

I won't touch the students/professors/opportunities questions; I'll leave those for current/past students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Minnesota!!

If it weren't for the OOS vs. IS tuition, that's where I'd be. But if you're OOS at both, then it might not be a huge factor.
 
I'm voting for Minnesota too. I interviewed at both Minnesota and Mississippi. I loveddd Minnesota! Even though I chose my IS over Minnesota, I'm still a little torn about not going there!

You can also get IS tuition after a year at Minnesota. At Mississippi you have to sign one of those "I'll pay out of state tuition forever" papers.

If I hadn't gotten into UF I would have been at Minnesota in the fall!
 
Thank you Swells2178! I might actually take you up on that offer if I still need help making this decision later.
 
And thank you LetItSnow for providing me with the link. It was pretty persuasive in helping me make my decision. Do any of you happen to know what the NAVLE pass rate is for Minnesota. I read on a different website that it was 100% but I don't know how reliable this source is and I can't find it anywhere on the Minnesota website.
 
Well I don't know anything about Minnesota, but I can tell you about Mississippi. I absolutely love school here. The teachers are SOOO accommodating. If we have tests scheduled close to each other, they are more than willing to move them around so that we aren't stressed out. They try their best to make school a good experience. They want us to learn as much as we can without having the experience be miserable. I couldn't imagine myself at any other school.

Yes, Starkville doesn't have much shopping...the nearest mall is actually like 50 minutes away. 30 minutes away there's places like old navy though. There are super cute boutiques in Starkville where i'd rather do my shopping anyway.

As far as caseload goes... i'm not sure how it compares to other schools, but at Mississippi we start getting hands on experience so early! I mean we start doing surgeries 1st semester of your 2nd year!! You will be able to have 80 surgeries under your belt by the time you graduate. Now who else offers that?!! We have a clinic in Jackson where you will spend 2 weeks when you are in clinics where it will just be you and the surgeon/specialist working on the animal. You won't be having to get on your toes to peek over the shoulder of those residents/interns. You will be able to get in there and do it yourself!!

For research...yes we do start a bit earlier than everyone else, but we also get out way earlier too! We end in April. They have summer research opportunities here for vet students. You get to apply and specify your area of interest or the doctor you'd like to work with. You even get paid $5,000!! A bunch of my friends will be staying here for the summer and doing that.

For wildlife, yeah we don't get all that much traffic, but we have a great wildlife/exotics club where you can make a lot of contacts. There's also a zoo pretty nearby that you can get some experience at. They also allot a ton of time for externships your 4th year...so you can get in alot of time focused solely on wildlife. I forgot how many weeks, but it is a ton. I doubt many other schools will give you the opportunity to spend so much time making contacts/meeting people and getting experience outside the vet school. When internship/job time comes around, you will have a leg ahead of a lot of people (same goes with your surgical/clinical skills).

I can't compare Mississippi to other schools, I just know that the people here are so nice and approachable. I feel so comfortable going up to the teachers and asking for help...same with my classmates. There is not a competitive vibe at all. Everyone wants their peers to succeed. We send out study guides and all kinds of stuff to our fellow classmates trying to help each other out. I would say Mississippi has more of a family feel to it...everyone is really close and looks out for each other. I love it!

Oh... and not to mention the awesome cubicle/desks we get in the lab!! Forgot to print off your notes for class?? No problem! Just run to your desk in the next room and print them off. Need to give someone a message? Go to their desk and write it on their white board! In anatomy lab and need to look in 1 of the 3 anatomy books we have? No worries... you don't have to lug them all around! Just turn around and BAM there's your desk! Roommate being loud and obnoxious when you are trying to study at 3 am? Go to school and you will always have a nice quiet space to study. Seriously...whoever came up with the idea of having desks was a genius
 
Last edited:
I'm voting for Minnesota too. I interviewed at both Minnesota and Mississippi. I loveddd Minnesota! Even though I chose my IS over Minnesota, I'm still a little torn about not going there!

You can also get IS tuition after a year at Minnesota. At Mississippi you have to sign one of those "I'll pay out of state tuition forever" papers.

If I hadn't gotten into UF I would have been at Minnesota in the fall!

I think that you need to work 10 hours/week in MN to be eligible for residency by second year. I don't know if you can average that over the year (work 50 hour weeks in the summer) or if it has to be for 12 months. Just something to consider...

Minneapolis is a very fun city & definitely livable for a college grad. Make sure you fully understand Minnesota winter before attending. Minneapolis has a great tunnel/covered system to get you around the main part of the city, but I don't think it continues all the way to the vet school. I love MN, but December-March drive me a little batty with the lack of sunlight. I go to class before it's risen, and tend to come home after it's set. The city itself is great though, we get a lot of good bands come through, and everything is very clean (I still can't figure out where the homeless people are, lol). Make sure to come in time for the MN state fair at the end of the summer! It's awesome!!!
 
And thank you LetItSnow for providing me with the link. It was pretty persuasive in helping me make my decision. Do any of you happen to know what the NAVLE pass rate is for Minnesota. I read on a different website that it was 100% but I don't know how reliable this source is and I can't find it anywhere on the Minnesota website.

Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure they said it was 98% at the pre-Q&A presentation thing. 😉
 
Yes I will SWells2178! That's awsome that they have internship opportunities. Man I have a tough decision to make. They both sound like such great schools.