Minor Degrees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panda103

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can having a minor in another science help in becoming a more qualified applicant to pharmacy schools and a better pharmacist? I'm considering in getting a minor in chemistry since...

1) I could easily fulfill the program with three classes to be completed from following my biology program and

2) I also get the chance to learn about Biochemistry by taking two semesters of it before having the course in pharmacy school.

I want to know if there is any benefit from earning a minor in chem or in any other science (like psych or physics) and if I'm considering a minor for the right reasons. Thanks in advance to anyone's thoughts. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Taking lots of chemistry, especially biochem, will definitely help you out during the program itself. The depth of coursework will probably help your application a little too. Seeing as how you are already a biology major, I can't think of any other minor besides chem that would help with later coursework or making you a more competitive applicant. If you are already close to the chem minor, by all means pursue it.

Even though I was a psychology major, I can assure you that psychology is not a true science. However, it is very interesting and I think would be beneficial to anyone who works with people. You'll see enough chem in pharm school. Why not branch out and try something new?

Members don't see this ad :)
panda103 said:
Can having a minor in another science help in becoming a more qualified applicant to pharmacy schools and a better pharmacist? I'm considering in getting a minor in chemistry since...

1) I could easily fulfill the program with three classes to be completed from following my biology program and

2) I also get the chance to learn about Biochemistry by taking two semesters of it before having the course in pharmacy school.

I want to know if there is any benefit from earning a minor in chem or in any other science (like psych or physics) and if I'm considering a minor for the right reasons. Thanks in advance to anyone's thoughts. :)
I decided to get a minor in chembecause after I sat down to figure it out, I only needed two more classes. It was one of those "what the hell... might as well" things.

I actually ended up with a minor in chemistry after completing the pre-reqs for pharmacy school. Usually having 2 sequences of chemisty will do it, or at least get you within a class or 2 of getting your minor. At any rate, the more qualified you are as an applicant the better your chances.