Minor Degrees?

Started by panda103
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

panda103

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can having a minor in another science help in becoming a more qualified applicant to pharmacy schools and a better pharmacist? I'm considering in getting a minor in chemistry since...

1) I could easily fulfill the program with three classes to be completed from following my biology program and

2) I also get the chance to learn about Biochemistry by taking two semesters of it before having the course in pharmacy school.

I want to know if there is any benefit from earning a minor in chem or in any other science (like psych or physics) and if I'm considering a minor for the right reasons. Thanks in advance to anyone's thoughts. 🙂
 
Taking lots of chemistry, especially biochem, will definitely help you out during the program itself. The depth of coursework will probably help your application a little too. Seeing as how you are already a biology major, I can't think of any other minor besides chem that would help with later coursework or making you a more competitive applicant. If you are already close to the chem minor, by all means pursue it.
 
Even though I was a psychology major, I can assure you that psychology is not a true science. However, it is very interesting and I think would be beneficial to anyone who works with people. You'll see enough chem in pharm school. Why not branch out and try something new?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
panda103 said:
Can having a minor in another science help in becoming a more qualified applicant to pharmacy schools and a better pharmacist? I'm considering in getting a minor in chemistry since...

1) I could easily fulfill the program with three classes to be completed from following my biology program and

2) I also get the chance to learn about Biochemistry by taking two semesters of it before having the course in pharmacy school.

I want to know if there is any benefit from earning a minor in chem or in any other science (like psych or physics) and if I'm considering a minor for the right reasons. Thanks in advance to anyone's thoughts. 🙂
I decided to get a minor in chembecause after I sat down to figure it out, I only needed two more classes. It was one of those "what the hell... might as well" things.
 
I actually ended up with a minor in chemistry after completing the pre-reqs for pharmacy school. Usually having 2 sequences of chemisty will do it, or at least get you within a class or 2 of getting your minor. At any rate, the more qualified you are as an applicant the better your chances.