Minor hem/onc fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkh51990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a second year IM resident at a community hospital with strong interest in hem onc. I am applying next yr to fellowship but I wanted also to be mindful of other routes that might help me to secure hem onc if i am unable to match.
I am aware that for ex GI there are small 1 yr fellowships at big places that polish your CV for the actual GI fellowship like advanced hepatology, motility, etc. I am not ware of any for hem onc.
May you please help shed some light if any? So i may apply as well next yr in a timely manner to directly bridge after my residency if i do not match in hem onc.

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a second year IM resident at a community hospital with strong interest in hem onc. I am applying next yr to fellowship but I wanted also to be mindful of other routes that might help me to secure hem onc if i am unable to match.
I am aware that for ex GI there are small 1 yr fellowships at big places that polish your CV for the actual GI fellowship like advanced hepatology, motility, etc. I am not ware of any for hem onc.
May you please help shed some light if any? So i may apply as well next yr in a timely manner to directly bridge after my residency if i do not match in hem onc.

Thanks a lot

Chief year.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD Anderson has 1 year fellowships for this purpose, like 1 year in leukemia or lymphoma. I've had 2 friends go through these, both ended up with heme onc fellowships afterwards. One really didn't need to do this but was anxious about the matching process. Other one it probably helped a little.

Focus your energy on improving your match/interview stock. Be willing to go to smaller programs to get interviews if needed. But try to match the first time, don't sell yourself short.

If you don't match, you can fall back on other things. If you don't have visa issues, you can work as a hospitalist in an academic place. If you are on a restricted visa and need a training program to be here, go find one of these MDA gigs or a palliative care fellowship. Hell you could even do a geriatrics fellowship and sell yourself as interested in geri onc. These should be secondary options though.

MD Anderson has 1 year fellowships for this purpose, like 1 year in leukemia or lymphoma. I've had 2 friends go through these, both ended up with heme onc fellowships afterwards. One really didn't need to do this but was anxious about the matching process. Other one it probably helped a little.

Focus your energy on improving your match/interview stock. Be willing to go to smaller programs to get interviews if needed. But try to match the first time, don't sell yourself short.

If you don't match, you can fall back on other things. If you don't have visa issues, you can work as a hospitalist in an academic place. If you are on a restricted visa and need a training program to be here, go find one of these MDA gigs or a palliative care fellowship. Hell you could even do a geriatrics fellowship and sell yourself as interested in geri onc. These should be secondary options though.

This is very helpful. Nice! I have connection to Houston texas and MDA as a research fellow. How competitive to get into these mini- fellowships?
This is really what I was interested to hear about, some mini fellowships that open up road for the real core hemonc fellowship. Are your aware kindly of other places beside MDA?
Also for the hospitalist job, I have this as a plan and I do not have visa restriction (i do not require visa), my question is how to find about those hospitalist opportunities? do I have to check place by place or there is some place that has those opportunities advertised and branch from there?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply