Miracle Acceptances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrapMCAT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have stories of miracle acceptances (i.e. low MCAT, mediocre GPA, non-URM) for allopathic schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that miracle show on last night. I don't think that was in there.

Reality is! If you are determined and willing to work hard at it. Anything is possible. Even if it includes re-doing a BS degree and the MCAT. The only miracle you get is the one you work hard for.

CrapMCAT said:
Anyone have stories of miracle acceptances (i.e. low MCAT, mediocre GPA, non-URM) for allopathic schools?

sounds like what i have. i got low mcat, 3.5 gpa, and im asian......... and i didn't go any postbac or anything... im a senior in colleg right now....

beat that!

and interviews have started coming......... and im not frox tx.

Members don't see this ad :)
theunderdog said:
sounds like what i have. i got low mcat, 3.5 gpa, and im asian......... and i didn't go any postbac or anything... im a senior in colleg right now....

beat that!

Where have you received interviews from? Sounds like we have similar stats.

Got an acceptance with a 2.8 GPA and a 30R. And by undergrad degree was in English. So it is possible.

Herman Bloom said:
Got an acceptance with a 2.8 GPA and a 30R. And by undergrad degree was in English. So it is possible.

are you a minority or URM, or disadvantaged of any sort?

theunderdog said:
are you a minority or URM, or disadvantaged of any sort?

Hey underdog, where have you gotten interview invites from?

theunderdog said:

I'm going to assume you meant from and not frox - does coming from Texas really make that big of a difference?

*crosses fingers that someone will say yes*

Yeah it does actually. The only thing Texas schools look for in their in-state applicants is a pulse. Best of luck to you.

No. Just a dirty white boy.

HAHAHA! :laugh:

To answer your question, CrapMCAT, yes I have heard of many stories of people getting into medical school with lower-end GPA's and MCAT scores. Of course, they may have been more limited in their choices for medical school and their chances were slimmer, but they got in nonetheless. Usually having exceptional extracurricular activities/volunteer work/clinical experience helps.

i recieved interviews from penn state, utah, usuhs, adn GW. i am accepted at GW. i have a mcat 25. but gpa and everything else is pretty good. and i am a white male. i am so excited i got in!!!

i recieved interviews from penn state, utah, usuhs, and GW. i am accepted at GW. i have a mcat 25. but gpa and everything else is pretty good. and i am a white male. i am so excited i got in!!!

Herman Bloom said:

Where'd you get in Herman? I could use a dose of hope right now. Seems like a ton of people have a better MCAT than I do, are repplying for the second time and started early (Little did I know I should have secondaries in in like June to save the stress of not hearing anything now!) or already have acceptances. Uggg... I'm happy for you all right now, but a little disgusted with myself. I could have fixed any of these things with a little more knowledge and a little more work... :mad:

I know someone who got into Johns Hopkins with a 22 MCAT...

mashce said:
I know someone who got into Johns Hopkins with a 22 MCAT...

What???
URM?
EC's?
Developed a hyperspace drive?
... Maybe I should have gone ahead and applied. I figured I'd just save myself the money and heartache though...

CrapMCAT said:
So are you saying that there aren't any "miracle" acceptances for URM's? If so, that's pretty pathetic.
To get away from the racial edge of your orignal post, why not talk about "miracle" acceptances for people who applied very late in the season, or who had to interview in casual clothes because there luggage was sent on a later flight, or who arrived 2 hours late to their interview because their train was delayed :confused:

tchadaz said:
i recieved interviews from penn state, utah, usuhs, and GW. i am accepted at GW. i have a mcat 25. but gpa and everything else is pretty good. and i am a white male. i am so excited i got in!!!

yeah, but you're also a nontrad student, which doesn't count.

i think crapmcat is looking for tradiational students who will go straight to medical school... who have low mcats or low grades, and have ECs, LORs, etc.

Heya - I am finishing first block at my state school in first year

3.2, 29S (not the worst, but well under the school average GPA), oh degrees in english and languages

hmmmm...

there is a girl in my class who got in with 25 on MCAT (she actually got to cash in on the Kaplan money back guarantee.

K

1Path said:
So are you saying that there aren't any "miracle" acceptances for URM's? If so, that's pretty pathetic.
To get away from the racial edge of your orignal post, why not talk about "miracle" acceptances for people who applied very late in the season, or who had to interview in casual clothes because there luggage was sent on a later flight, or who arrived 2 hours late to their interview because their train was delayed :confused:

The OP isn't being racist. He's just looking for stories to inspire him because they have factors in common with him. And he's not an URM. (And, hopefully, he hasn't shown up to an interview in jeans yet!)

PS OP, if you're a girl, sorry I just called you he :)

Risa said:
The OP isn't being racist. He's just looking for stories to inspire him because they have factors in common with him. And he's not an URM. (And, hopefully, he hasn't shown up to an interview in jeans yet!)

PS OP, if you're a girl, sorry I just called you he :)

i agree with this poster.

i don't want to sound racist when it comes to URM, but they are considered differently when you look at another candidate who is not a URM.