MIRECC/COE VA postdoc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho1391

Clinical Psychology Ph.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am interviewing for a VA COE postdoctoral fellowship. If anyone can share their experience at a MIRECC or COE postdoc, I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the opportunity to do a postdoctoral fellowship at a MIRECC or COE, snatch it up. Your prospects will increase tenfold once you finish, and you will maintain professional contacts who will support your ongoing career, especially if you want to continue in clinical research. If you have specific questions, send me a PM and I'll try to get back in timely manner. Of course, working with our Veterans is a privilege and honor, so its helps to approach the opportunity with a similar mindset. Good luck! :luck:

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't done this training myself, but I know a couple of others who have. I think it could be a great position depending on your career goals. I'm making the assumption that you want a research-focused career, as that's typically the purpose of these positions. If you want to be a researcher within the VA, then this would be a great position to have. Both people I know who did a MIRECC fellowship stayed on after at the same VA for their research positions, so the fellowship set them up nicely for that. If you are more interested in NIH funding for your career, the MIRECC fellowship may not be quite as good of a fit. In this case, you may be better served by a T32 fellowship or a fellowship at an AMC as these are more likely to focus on NIH funding. As I'm sure you know, finding a good research mentor is likely the most important aspect, not only for the content of the research, but also for support. I've known trainees who landed research fellowships at institutions with highly influential researchers only to then be treated poorly and be more of a "work horse" as opposed to having a mentorship relationship. I would strongly encourage you to feel out the style of potential mentors! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't done this training myself, but I know a couple of others who have. I think it could be a great position depending on your career goals. I'm making the assumption that you want a research-focused career, as that's typically the purpose of these positions. If you want to be a researcher within the VA, then this would be a great position to have. Both people I know who did a MIRECC fellowship stayed on after at the same VA for their research positions, so the fellowship set them up nicely for that. If you are more interested in NIH funding for your career, the MIRECC fellowship may not be quite as good of a fit. In this case, you may be better served by a T32 fellowship or a fellowship at an AMC as these are more likely to focus on NIH funding. As I'm sure you know, finding a good research mentor is likely the most important aspect, not only for the content of the research, but also for support. I've known trainees who landed research fellowships at institutions with highly influential researchers only to then be treated poorly and be more of a "work horse" as opposed to having a mentorship relationship. I would strongly encourage you to feel out the style of potential mentors! Good luck!
That's mentor relationship is super important to me. After all, the mentor will likely be part of my CDA team, so I want to make sure it is a good fit. Thank you for the reminder.

If you want to be a researcher within the VA, then this would be a great position to have. Both people I know who did a MIRECC fellowship stayed on after at the same VA for their research positions, so the fellowship set them up nicely for that.
I interned at a VA with an attached CoE and also know 2 people who transitioned into staff roles after their 2 year postdoc.

@psycho1391 Have you been affiliated with the VA before? If you have and think the VA system and doing research under the VA umbrella is a good fit, this could be a really good opportunity. If you've never experienced the VA before, you might benefit from connecting with people who've worked in the VA to provide you with more context.

Reactions: 1 user
I did an advanced VA 2-year fellowship at a site with both a CoE and MIRECC, and I had access to the MIRECC and CoE fellowship resources and trainings. I really loved it and would highly recommend a VA research fellowship. It was just such an intellectually stimulating atmosphere and there were so many great resources. Plus, having so much dedicated research time (75%)!

Reactions: 1 users
Plus, having so much dedicated research time (75%)!
Just FYI: A formal MIRECC fellowship will be 51% clinical, 49% dedicated research. (You can make it 75% if a portion of that is 'clinical" research, so assessments, intervention, face-to-face contact with patients within the scope of your research.) This is an APA requirement for MIRECC fellowships with APA accreditation (some MIRECC/CoE sites do not have their APA approval yet, but they are working on each site to rectify that - and I would not worry so much because the reputation and contacts you build from the MIRECC fellowship will land more than some regular APA-accredited fellowships IMO).

And yes, if you're planning a career within the VA system, the MIRECC /COE Advanced fellowships will help build your career network nicely.

Last edited:
  • Care
Just FYI: A formal MIRECC fellowship will be 51% clinical, 49% dedicated research. (You can make it 75% if a portion of that is 'clinical" research, so assessments, intervention, face-to-face contact with patients within the scope of your research.) This is an APA requirement for MIRECC fellowships with APA accreditation (some MIRECC/CoE sites do not have their APA approval yet, but they are working on each site to rectify that - and I would not worry so much because the reputation and contacts you build from the MIRECC fellowship will land more than some regular APA-accredited fellowships IMO).

And yes, if you're planning a career within the VA system, the MIRECC /COE Advanced fellowships will help build your career network nicely.
When did this change occur?

When did this change occur?
Our site went through accreditation, and this was the biggest criticism of APA, that there needs to be allocated 51% clinical only + 49% research for postdocs. So, 2017-18?

Also, this an APA standard, not a MIRECC or CoE standard. The Hub site (since 2016, in my experience) also indicated this was an aspirational goal for each MIRECC/CoE fellowship site to get their APA accreditation.

Last edited:
Our site went through accreditation, and this was the biggest criticism of APA, that there needs to be allocated 51% clinical only + 49% research for postdocs. So, 2017-18?

Also, this an APA standard, not a MIRECC or CoE standard. The Hub site (since 2016, in my experience) also indicated this was an aspirational goal for each MIRECC/CoE fellowship site to get their APA accreditation.
Gotcha, thanks. That split was not my experience but my research is also clinically focused so it's all a wash anyway.

Thanks for clarifying, helpful to know that has been changed!

But @cara susanna, I would think some sites are still boasting the 75% protected research time....you know they love our evidence-based, empirical stuff.

I bet we were on V-tele's together. ;)

Based on the years you mentioned, we might have been! :)

• Love
Thank you all so much. The interview went well. My hang up with be making a decision and committing before I even interview at other sites.

I am currently at a VA and have enjoyed the internship quite a bit! Thanks for the suggestion regarding that as well.

• Love