Misbehavial conduct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hatemyself445

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys

I did something really stupid and got a police report filed against me. I have to appear to court in 2 weeks for any responsibilities. I have already got into a medical school so Im really scred that this will ruin my life. Since its rather personal and embarrassing, I do not want to disclose anything with the schools.. Or do I have to report the details? I really regret what I've done and I just want to dig a hole and bury myself in there.. I Really don't know what I should do now. Please help me... Thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

It's not good.

Get an attorney- get a good one, your career in medicine depends on it- and see if he can get the charges dismissed. If you're not convicted and you didn't receive an institutional action from your school, I don't think it has to be disclosed.

It would be very odd if you had to report something you were found not guilty of/had charges dropped, at any rate.

I don't have the money/time to get an attorney.. I'm screwed. Well I guess if I get fired from my lab or get kicked out of school I'll have the time. The officer said he thought it would be just some counselor sessions but he asked me to prepare for the worst...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you do. There are payment options. Do you have any relatives who could help you out? You need an attorney.

I think the main question everyone on SDN is thirsty for is "What did you do?" C'mon, don't leave us hanging.

Reactions: 1 user
It's rather personal mental illness kind of thing.. So I don't want to say anything

Also my only family left is my SO and he'd probably leave me after he knew about everthing

Doesn't sound good. I would discuss this with an attorney. If they don't think you can get out of it clean, I would recommend immediate and full disclosure to the med school, along with some kind of reassurance as to what you are doing about it and why it won't be a continuing issue. Otherwise the school will find out on their own via background check before you matriculate (unless you are going to school in MA, right?) and that would likely be the worst thing for you as it will look like you were trying to hide it.

I have no intention to hide it if im convicted and I'll just accept what the school decides. I will notify them about the charge but I really really don't want to get into detail of what happened with them as it's extremely personal.. But if they have to know, I'll do it but they will probably take back the offer. It's a top 20 school so I guess they have plenty of other better people to admit. I have just made an appointment with an attorney for tomorrow.. This will make me live on the street.

Med schools and hospitals do background checks. This is likely to show up and lead to your being dismissed for not notifying the school, especially if it leads to a conviction. You haven't been convicted yet, but you do need to tell them. You have my sympathies, but also keep in mind that medical school is a crucible, and I've seen it break even healthy students. If you have mental health issues, better they get addressed now.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I think they'd be more understanding if you spoke about any mental health issues and made their treatment a priority.

Find a good lawyer and make sure that you don't get convicted.

You do have to report this through AMCAS within so many days after conviction.

As always, schools will ask, "do we want someone who would do this in our academic community?" Putting it another way, if this were a year from now and you were several months into medical school, do you think you'd be expelled for doing what you are accused of doing?

If you take things that don't belong to you or behave in a lewd manner in public then a school might be hesitant to take you/keep you. If you walked out of a bar carrying a drink or pissed in an alley, you might be dealt with more leniently by the med school.

Reactions: 2 users
I have talked to an attorney and I still don't know how this case would end. I'm planning on disclosing this to med schools after my initial appearance, or should I do it after I'm actually convicted? Also, for schools that do not participate AMCAS background check and do not have any information on that matter on their website, do I still have to disclose this issue?

I have talked to an attorney and I still don't know how this case would end. I'm planning on disclosing this to med schools after my initial appearance, or should I do it after I'm actually convicted? Also, for schools that do not participate AMCAS background check and do not have any information on that matter on their website, do I still have to disclose this issue?
Do not keep things in hiding, because it when it comes out it will do more harm at that time.

Read the instructions provided by AAMC about disclosing after submission of your application. Follow the instructions.