Miscellaneous GPA calc questions

Started by ckl81
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ckl81

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a couple general questions about GPA calculations:

1) I took a couple classes at a UC during high school (calc 1, 2), is that used to calculate undergrad GPA?

2) For any MIT/Caltech grads out there, what happens to the hidden/unofficial grades during freshman year---are they just released or ignored?

3) If I take postbac classes a la carte whilst working, does that count towards undergrad GPA or does it fall into a separate bucket?


I've tried searching through the forums unsuccessfully...If you guys know offhand or know where I can find this info that would be awesome and greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
1) I took a couple classes at a UC during high school (calc 1, 2), is that used to calculate undergrad GPA?

Yes. Every college grade counts, and you have to submit every transcript, or they find out, around 3rd year, and kick you out after you are about $100k in debt.

2) For any MIT/Caltech grads out there, what happens to the hidden/unofficial grades during freshman year---are they just released or ignored?

Whatever is on your official transcript is what gets used. Note that if you took med school prereqs freshman year, you'll have to demonstrate that you earned the equivalent of a C or better.

3) If I take postbac classes a la carte whilst working, does that count towards undergrad GPA or does it fall into a separate bucket?

Same bucket. The only undergrad classes that don't count toward undergrad GPA are ones taken while you're in a grad program.

whilst? Ay yai yai.
 
Great, much appreciated DrMidlife!

You're right though, maybe I should have used while instead of whilst, in retrospect I sound like a snob. 👍