Misconceptions that make you *headdesk*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athenaparthenos

Western U C/o 2012!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mentioned to someone online in a totally unrelated community that I was going to be a vet and thus was perhaps immune to gross stuff. Their response:

"my sister's a vet tech/veterinarian, she knows all about that stuff"

:rolleyes: I was too nice to go "And how would your sister practice as both a tech and a vet? Does she do one on the side?" but man, I wanted to, lol. Vet tech =/= veterinarian... :p

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For many years I would attempt to correct/explain to people what the differences are between assistants/technicians/veterinarians. Then sadly (and somewhat concerned) I realized people dont even understand the differences between human medical caretakers (RN, LPN, NA, NP, PA, ect...)

Not to be harsh but unless they are in a medical professional, most people just dont care. Which baffles me because the first thing I check out is someones credentials but again Im in a medical profession so it matters to me. Ever noticed when you try to explain, peoples eyes will glaze over and they change the subject. Some people just want to understand enough to get by. Dont be offended. When faced with this comment I usually reply "Actually those two positions are completely different" but I dont usually elaborate past that point unless they ask me too. Which is not very often, mostly kids interested in vet medicine. But I totally get your frustration.

Another one: when asked what I plan on doing..I respond:" Im going to vet school"...He/she asks "How many years is that?" I respond "4-6 depending.."
And my favorite response: "Wow thats like becoming a doctor"
:scared: "It IS becoming a doctor" so frustrating!

Another one: when asked what I plan on doing..I respond:" Im going to vet school"...He/she asks "How many years is that?" I respond "4-6 depending.."
And my favorite response: "Wow thats like becoming a doctor"

Wow, I couldn't agree more! This is something I've definitely come across, particularly with family. They are astonished that to practice medicine on animals requires the same amount of schooling as it does to practice medicine on humans. Oh well...some people will never respect us as much as "real" doctors, but I personally don't care to prove anything to them.

It's similar for people with PhDs - a lot of people don't understand that a PhD gives you the title of doctor, but it's not a "doctor" in the same sense of the person you go to when you are sick. And the funny thing is that it is usually even more schooling than the "real" doctors.

It's similar for people with PhDs - a lot of people don't understand that a PhD gives you the title of doctor, but it's not a "doctor" in the same sense of the person you go to when you are sick. And the funny thing is that it is usually even more schooling than the "real" doctors.

When I was a kid (and obnoxious:p) I used to joke around with my dad (who has a PhD) that he wasn't a "real" doctor. Now that I'm older and heading to vet school, we've joked about how now I'm going to be a "fake" doctor, too. To 99% of the world, doctor = MD. If people knew more about the different processes, that would probably change. But I won't be holding my breath.

I think I'm the worst...when I was a little little kid, I used to say my dad's a doctor, but not a "real" doctor because he was an ophthalmologist, and I thought that the only real doctors were primary care physicians.

"Oh wow, that's like medical school."

GEE maybe because it *IS* medical school... just for animals! A ton more species!!

I love when, upon hearing I'm going to vet school, they say, "So what's that...1-2 years?" And I say "No, it's four years." I'm tempted to throw in a, "Think of it as med school times x amount of species."

I love when, upon hearing I'm going to vet school, they say, "So what's that...1-2 years?" And I say "No, it's four years." I'm tempted to throw in a, "Think of it as med school times x amount of species."

OMG- I've gotten that too! And it is so frustrating - I didn't realize until recently how the general public knows so little about this profession.

or how about when people, after spending $1000 on a puppy shop dog (other people as well), complain about the cost of an office visit (ours is 40-46 depending), saying that its obvious that vets are only in it for the money, and don't really care about the animals.

Yes, because I feel like going to 8 years of school to make a salary of 60,000k, that includes long hours and getting various bodily fluids smeared on me, all while having 100,000k of debt. Yep, truly in it for the money.

My sister who is a nurse actually said to me, "so when you graduate you'll be making the same amount as I do after only going to school for five" (and she declared her major late so took an extra year)

Yep, if I hear another comment about vets making a ton of money, I'm going to scream! People just don't get it....and I don't think they ever will!

Members don't see this ad :)
I sure as heck wish my husband would get it, because he keeps telling people I am his retirement plan. He refuses to hear me when I tell him that I am not going to make that much money and he will still be working.

or how about when people, after spending $1000 on a puppy shop dog (other people as well), complain about the cost of an office visit (ours is 40-46 depending), saying that its obvious that vets are only in it for the money, and don't really care about the animals.

Yes, because I feel like going to 8 years of school to make a salary of 60,000k, that includes long hours and getting various bodily fluids smeared on me, all while having 100,000k of debt. Yep, truly in it for the money.

My sister who is a nurse actually said to me, "so when you graduate you'll be making the same amount as I do after only going to school for five" (and she declared her major late so took an extra year)

What I hate is when people say is "$40 for my dog's visit, I only pay $20 for mine." Uh, that's your co-pay...remember that health insurance premium you pay....yeah....the real appointment is about $300!!

This one isn't a misconception about the profession, but rather something I hear from clients a lot.

"Oh no, Fluffy isn't in pain...s/he isn't vocalizing/whining/crying so s/he couldn't possibly be in pain!"

*headdesk*

Omg, I know exactly the frustrations you guys are talking about! I told one of the new summer interns at the aquarium I volunteer at that I just got accepted to veterinary school. Her response, "Oh, so you're doing one of those technical programs?" ..... Don't get me wrong, I really like the girl and all, but I can't believe she didn't know what I meant. Especially since she was a science major and wants to be involved in animal husbandry.

This one was even better. I was telling some guy at work that I'm leaving to go to vet school. We start talking about how cold it gets up North, etc, etc... then he goes, "So how long is nursing school?" :eek: I'm really hoping he just had a brainfart. Aside from them being two VERY different programs, why the h**l would I go to all the way to Iowa for nursing school?!

I wonder if any of these misconceptions would change at all if we said "vet med" instead of just "vet." Probably not, but maybe it's worth a shot?

I can't be the only one who has had a client argue that their bitch can't be pregnant because the only dog she has been around is her brother and they would know better!

Seriously, I sometimes wonder about people.

I can't be the only one who has had a client argue that their bitch can't be pregnant because the only dog she has been around is her brother and they would know better!

I really feel bad for those puppies.

I sure as heck wish my husband would get it, because he keeps telling people I am his retirement plan. He refuses to hear me when I tell him that I am not going to make that much money and he will still be working.

Ha! My husband says that, too! He says he's going to be a house husband and buy a motorcycle, boat, etc.

I keep telling him it just isn't going to be like that.

I had a client argue that their dog couldn't be pregnant (even though she was outside alone all day) because she had an invisible fence.:cool:

When I was a kid (and obnoxious:p) I used to joke around with my dad (who has a PhD) that he wasn't a "real" doctor. Now that I'm older and heading to vet school, we've joked about how now I'm going to be a "fake" doctor, too. To 99% of the world, doctor = MD. If people knew more about the different processes, that would probably change. But I won't be holding my breath.

Actually 99% of the world, physician=MD
doctor=PhD...........

I had a client argue that their dog couldn't be pregnant (even though she was outside alone all day) because she had an invisible fence.:cool:

seriously!!!!!????!!!!

for those who complain about $$ (esp when they compare it to their own copays), here's a trick i heard about...
contact the local hospital and get prices for their services and products (NOT insurance prices... the true prices). keep a copy with the front desk and when people try to pull that bs about 'their' doctor only charges $2 for meds' then pull out the list and say.... 'actually they charge 85 but you pay 2.....'
i've heard it works great and i definitely am going to try it when i'm a vet!
it's really a shocker when you compare surgeries too! hundreds vs tens of thousands!!!

When I worked at Macy's last summer one of my co-workers didn't get a litter of kitties her mama cat had fixed because they were only with their siblings and couldn't have sex!!!!!

Eventually, after a long campaign, another co-worker and I convinced her to get them fixed. Thank goodness!!

:laugh: That is at the same time equally sad and funny. Because invisible fences are CLEARLY impenetrable to outside dogs... get it? Ha ha.

I hope that client was just mystefied when those puppies were born... and that they then had their dog fixed.

When I worked at Macy's last summer one of my co-workers didn't get a litter of kitties her mama cat had fixed because they were only with their siblings and couldn't have sex!!!!!

Eventually, after a long campaign, another co-worker and I convinced her to get them fixed. Thank goodness!!

I have a bunch of stray cats in my neighborhood and had been diligently TNR'ing them. One day I saw one 8-9 month-old kitten whom I hadn't yet caught on top of his momma who I also hadn't caught. I couldn't help it - I yelled "Dude, that's your mom! That's just wrong!" Anyway, momma is now fixed and I'm working on the boy. :laugh:

As for the original question, it makes me crazy when people think I'm going into a two-year associate degree program. I just calmly tell them "it's the same as medical school but I have to learn cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, cows, chickens, hamsters, goats, snakes, and so on."

"my sister's a vet tech/veterinarian, she knows all about that stuff"

:rolleyes: I was too nice to go "And how would your sister practice as both a tech and a vet? Does she do one on the side?" but man, I wanted to, lol. Vet tech =/= veterinarian... :p

I've heard a lot of people get them mixed up too ... but at the same time, there are a ton of people around where I live that have veterinary degrees from other countries and come here to work for a bit as vet techs to learn English or escape war or something. So I guess you could consider those particular people as vet tech/veterinarians?:confused:

I was working as a tech and the vet was talking to a client about her sick dog. The client said she would wait on the treatment because she wants to talk to her daughter who is in the medical field. The vet said "oh ok, is your daughter a doctor?" and the client said "no, she's a billing and coding technician... she'll know all about this stuff." ...riiiight. sure she will.

Haha ive heard that before plus one that is just as bad: A client told us that it was ok for her to put her 2 buns together before they were spayed/neutered because they were different breeds!
*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

The wife of one of my husband's ex-coworkers is going thru the veterinary TECHNICIAN program here at the local community college. She informed my husband that when she is done she'll be able to do everything that a vet can do except make the initial incision on a surgery. After that we're equal. I was like :eek: "excuuuuuuuse me?!?!?!" I'm not going thru 4 years of torture and $200k worth of debt to have someone in a TECHNICIAN program be able to do all the same things I can. I'm not going to be someone's surgery b*$&# that's only needed to make the initial incision. :p

The wife of one of my husband's ex-coworkers is going thru the veterinary TECHNICIAN program here at the local community college. She informed my husband that when she is done she'll be able to do everything that a vet can do except make the initial incision on a surgery. After that we're equal. I was like :eek: "excuuuuuuuse me?!?!?!" I'm not going thru 4 years of torture and $200k worth of debt to have someone in a TECHNICIAN program be able to do all the same things I can. I'm not going to be someone's surgery b*$&# that's only needed to make the initial incision. :p

Dont worry Starwrecker. This will not happen! This other person is going to be sadly dissappointed when she finds out she will not be performing surgery! To my knowledge there is NO U.S. state which allows anyone other than a licensed veterinarian to perform surgery. Very few states even allow technicians to suture skin or perform dental extractions (legally on paper). Im not naive enough to say there arent uncredentialled veterinary personnel who are being trained to declaw and perform feline castrations because I know for a fact there are. But its completely illegal and when the vet board finds out, then that Doc will hopefully loose his license and the staff members will be heavily fined for practicing vet medicine without a license.

For the record there are 3 BIG differences between Docs and Credentialled Techs. Tech cannot DIAGNOSE, PRESCRIBE, or SURGERIZE...then depending on the state regs techs do even less. These three words may not seem like much but think about all the stuff that encompases them and thats why docs are docs and techs are techs. I dont pretend to be a doc and my doc doesnt pretend to be a tech. (haha) Actually she hates doing tech stuff because then shes not optimizing her education and her time. I mean after many years you kinda learn through osmosis alot of stuff (especially if you have good mentors) and we frequently take educated guesses about what is wrong with a pet when it comes in (ie hey doc theres a dog that sounds like it has FAD or whatever in room 2. ) but I would NEVER pretend to be or represent myself as a vet or DREAM of doing surgery without going to school. No surgery is ever rountine. What happens when there is a problems..What is she gonna do? Say hey doc can you come help me. Please! Tech school does not a doctor make. :p

Alot of med students are pretty clueless about us too...

-Pre med facebook group at my uni-
Me: "Any other future vets here??"
Pre Med: "No, looks like we're all future surgeons here! I heard there's a 1 year course you can take at Guelph that teaches you to be a vet"

-MCAT prep course-
Friend: "Actually, I'm not going to med school- I'm going to be a vet"
Pre Med: "Oh...well..I guess its *kind* of the same thing..."
Friend: "..."

Yeah, it was my pre-med friend who said, "Vet school...that's a two year program, right?"

Well it has been a while since I logged in and this forum caught my interest. Funny when I finish vet school in four years someone could say I was a vet tech/veterinarian. But the crazy thing people think about pregnancy is nuts.

I swear, physicians, med students, and pre-meds are sometimes the worst. I don't watch much TV, but I seriously wish the AVMA would try to get more of a media presence so that more lay people understand exactly what we do. Maybe we need a TV show on network TV, like Scrubs, ER, House, etc. Miller's Anatomy! :D Or maybe a commercial...

*cue soaring inspirational music and showing no animals until the end*

Community practice vet: "I care for the health of the members of your family."
Shelter vet in scrubs: "I'm working to help solve the problem of overpopulation."
Army vet in fatigues: "I protect the health of those who serve in American armed forces across the world."
Large animal vet in coveralls or a lab coat: "I monitor the safety of our food supply."
Public health/epidemiology vet: "I'm tracking how dangerous diseases spread to people."
Zoo/wildlife vet: "I'm working to ensure the healthy populations of endangered species for future generations."

*cuts quickly to each one of them in succession*

All: I'm a doctor.

*shows group shot, each with an animal: Army vet with military working dog, zoo/wildlife vet with a charismatic megafauna species, shelter vet with an adorable cat, food animal vet with a doe-eyed Jersey cow, etc*

All: A doctor of veterinary medicine.

*inspirational music soars and video fades to black*

Brought to you by the American Veterinary Medical Association

Along the lines of those who think Vet School is a 1 or 2 year course.....

Dad's friend: So how's your daughter doing?
Dad: Great, she's just finishing her second year in Vet School
Dad's friend: Vet School? Did she try Podiatry and Chiopractic School?
Dad: Huh?
Dad'd friend: Well, I know Med School's really hard to get into, but she might have been able to get one of those.
Dad: gives friend an earful on Vet School applications and stats and informs him that I never applied or had any desire to go to Med school (then calls me to ask why I refused to apply to Med School again).

I actually used to get more frustrated by this, but now when I hear this stuff, I feel like I have an opportunity to let people know what being a Vet is about. Some people don't listen, but many do.

I swear, physicians, med students, and pre-meds are sometimes the worst. I don't watch much TV, but I seriously wish the AVMA would try to get more of a media presence so that more lay people understand exactly what we do. Maybe we need a TV show on network TV, like Scrubs, ER, House, etc. Miller's Anatomy! :D Or maybe a commercial...

Shelter vet in scrubs: "I'm working to help solve the problem of overpopulation."
Army vet in fatigues: "I protect the health of those who serve in American armed forces across the world."
Large animal vet in coveralls or a lab coat: "I monitor the safety of our food supply."
Public health/epidemiology vet: "I'm tracking how dangerous diseases spread to people."
Zoo/wildlife vet: "I'm working to ensure the healthy populations of endangered species for future generations."

*shows group shot, each with an animal: Army vet with military working dog, zoo/wildlife vet with a charismatic megafauna species, shelter vet with an adorable cat, food animal vet with a doe-eyed Jersey cow, etc*

This is such a good idea! People who have contact with vets think highly of them, in general, but often don't know all the facets of vet med. :)

:laugh: Electrophile, that's great. You should write for television commercials.

Except the end should show them all covered in cow afterbirth and anal sac goo for a more accurate portrayal. ;)

:laugh: Electrophile, that's great. You should write for television commercials.

Except the end should show them all covered in cow afterbirth and anal sac goo for a more accurate portrayal. ;)

Yes, that will surely solve the food animal vet shortage! :laugh: Placenta and amniotic fluid is bringing sexy back! :cool:

I'm personally holding you responsible for making this a reality! Amazing :D

*bow down to electrophile*

Can we get a horse doc in there too?

I went out with a bunch of people on Wednesday, and my friend always asks about the gross stuff at work. I was like "Well, this week I was walking around and then realized I had digested hay in my mouth still after tubing a horse..." And this girl looks at me and she's like "WHAT DO YOU DO????" And I said "well, I am a vet tech who is going to vet school." And she said "TO BE A HORSE VET? EWWWWW!" And then wrinkled her nose and turned away.

Niiiice. Then I just wanted to tell more gross stories. To make her even more sick to her stomach. Buahahaha.

What a great idea electrophile!! I can totally picture it :rolleyes: