Misconduct Warning from School....Implications??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILovePatho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question that has been on my mind as I'm getting ready for the '09 match...

I go to a Offshore Medical school who has affiliated hospitals for clinical rotations in the US. During my 3rd year, I was giving a Misconduct Infraction that was put in my record.

The infraction in question was when a scheduled rotation of mine was canceled at the last minute (was told the Friday before i was supposed to start the rotation on Monday). In a scurry, I went to a different attending physician (who i knew) at a different hospital my school is affiliated with and arranged to do my rotation with him so I didn't have to just sit in my apartment without anything to do for the weeks I would potentially miss. The attending agreed to this arrangement, medical education at the hospital agreed to this arrangement, BUT my school did not. As per the school rules, I wasn't allowed to try and set up my own rotations without prior authorization, and did so knowingly against the rules, so was given this Misconduct Infraction Warning. My school's issue was me trying to schedule a last minute rotation looks unprofessional on the school's part.

My questions are these:
1) Are warnings like these typically sent out with the rest of my records from my school (ie: transcripts, LORs, Dean's Letter, Etc) or are they kept internal?? I e-mailed my school asking and was given a vague reply and haven't heard back on my 2nd inquiriry.

2) If these warnings are sent in with my academic records, are details given or will it just say somewhere "Student X was given a Misconduct Warning on x/x/07." I'd rather the facts be known than a residency director think my warning was based on tardiness, being unprofessional, or something like a substance abuse violation.

3) How hard should i fight to have this taken off my record? The reason my rotation was canceled at the last minute was solely the fault of my school, not the hospital or myself. All i was trying to do was take the initiative to make sure there were no gaps in my schedule by asking (definitely not harassing) another attending if i could rotate with him. Should I try and involve an attorney because I know for a fact other students at my school have done the same exact thing, but weren't given this warning?

4) If I can't get it off my record, how bad do these types of Misconduct Warnings look to residency programs? And is there anything I can do to help kill any doubts a residency Director might have about me being a good resident?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends. Programs submit info about academic probations, suspensions, and test/course failures to ERAS. Usually the infractions are associated with significant disciplinary action (i.e. suspension, repeating a block). I don't know if this was true in your case.

This seems like a minor infraction. You may want to meet with your Dean and ask point blank if the school will submit the reprimand to ERAS.

If so, it will be a red flag. Typically, the applications I've seen don't have much explanation about the nature of the reprimands in the alloted "disciplinary actions" section. Instead, the specifics are addressed in the dean's letter, personal statement and letters of rec.

If it will appear in your ERAS, make friends with your Dean, as he can be an ally in 1) contacting programs on your behalf, 2) Downplaying the infraction in your Dean's letter. Also, find letter writers who can vouch for your sincerity and speak to the matter (maybe the attending you were trying to work with). Lastly, address the incident in your personal statement. Say that you learned something from it (whatever that may be).

Also, contact programs you are interested in directly. It may help get your foot in the door at least for an interview. From there you can explain your situation face to face.

Good Luck!

This was kind of a minor infraction, so I doubt it will appear in your Dean's Letter. I don't think it will be reported to ERAS either. I would check with your Dean though. I would also check to see if you'll get credit for this rotation, seeing as how it was not set up the school.

This sounds totally benign. Even if they decide to include it in your letter, it will at least give you something to address in your personal statement. Most of us have to dribble on about how we've wanted to be a [blank] ever since we knew that such a thing existed, and if only we're given the chance we'll be the bestest [blank] ever.

I would sleep the sleep of the just on this one.

My questions are these:
1) Are warnings like these typically sent out with the rest of my records from my school (ie: transcripts, LORs, Dean's Letter, Etc) or are they kept internal?? I e-mailed my school asking and was given a vague reply and haven't heard back on my 2nd inquiriry.

2) If these warnings are sent in with my academic records, are details given or will it just say somewhere "Student X was given a Misconduct Warning on x/x/07." I'd rather the facts be known than a residency director think my warning was based on tardiness, being unprofessional, or something like a substance abuse violation.

3) How hard should i fight to have this taken off my record? The reason my rotation was canceled at the last minute was solely the fault of my school, not the hospital or myself. All i was trying to do was take the initiative to make sure there were no gaps in my schedule by asking (definitely not harassing) another attending if i could rotate with him. Should I try and involve an attorney because I know for a fact other students at my school have done the same exact thing, but weren't given this warning?

4) If I can't get it off my record, how bad do these types of Misconduct Warnings look to residency programs? And is there anything I can do to help kill any doubts a residency Director might have about me being a good resident?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Look, you're asking us questions none of us have the answer to. If you want the answer, you got to ask the people with the answers. Agree with above advice. Schedule a meeting with a Dean and ask. I agree, it certainly isn't a "high-point" of your application and depending on what you are going into, it could be a huge problem. Using LORs and PS to your advantage is also good advice.

Good luck, and stop scheduling your own rotations!

As far as ERAS is concerned, there are only two places this could be reported:

1) On your transcript, or
2) in your MSPE / Dean's letter.

You could request a copy of your transcript now. That will tell you if it's on there.

Most schools let you see your MSPE prior to submitting it to ERAS. Best person to ask is whomever will be writing the MSPE's at your school, usually the Dean of Student's office.