Misdeamenor conviction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiceGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody has any information on the medical school or AMA or Match Program policies on students who have a misdeamenor conviction on their record, specifically a Class A Theft conviction. The person I'm asking for has already been accepted and began classes, luckily he got finished the interview process and got accepted before the conviction was finalized, but since then he has been convicted and is unsure of how this will affect him in the long run. It is not possible to expunge the conviction off his record. He has not spoken to the deans or anybody yet for fear of getting kicked out, but is really scared that residency programs will reject him. Can anyone help?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I have no real knowledge or authority in the matter, but I *think* a misdemeanor such as that won't cause expulsion or eliminate all job prospects.

Usually employers want to know if you have been convicted of a felony, so you may be ok. Any convictions for abuse/violence, fraud, drugs and the like (even if misdemeanors) would be likely IMO to haunt your friend--I don't know about theft, it probably depends on the dollar amount of stolen item(s) and what the item was.

At my med school, mid-way thru first semester, they gave us forms to fill out to allow the school and any related parties (hospitals, clinics, etc.) to do a criminal background check on us. If your school does the same thing, IF the conviction is a problem, I am sure the person involved would be brought in and allowed to discuss the conviction before any decisions would be made. Always be honest if asked about any arrests or convictions, because lying is likely to make the situation look and be far worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.