• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Misdemeanor and applying

Throwaway667

May 12, 2016
  1. Pre-Dental
    So, I managed to get myself in a huge pickle less than 3 weeks before I send my application in. I'm planning on applying in this upcoming cycle (21 AA, 3.5sgpa, decent ECs) but I just found myself with a bit of trouble with the law. When I was driving to my hometown (super conservative) from my college town (decriminalized), I was pulled over for a burnt tail light and the officer found a very small amount of marijuana in my car. I was given a misdemeanor ticket and I have a pending court date at the beginning of June... right when I'm supposed to apply.
    Apparently, as a first time offender, I can get this expunged from my record but it may make time. Does anyone have advice/suggestions? Is it even worth applying this cycle given the proximity? Should I attempt to wait until it's off my record to apply? I just feel very lost and unsure of what to do.

About the Ads

ncide

5+ Year Member
    Mar 2, 2015
    1. Dentist
      Apply broadly and you should be fine. Can't believe this is still an issue in some states. I can go to a store where I live and purchase it like alcohol.

Reactions: 1 user

Throwaway667

May 12, 2016
      1. Pre-Dental
        Apply broadly and you should be fine. Can't believe this is still an issue in some states. I can go to a store where I live and purchase it like alcohol.

Yep I wholeheartedly agree. I understand that it's the law and by virtue of that I need to follow it, but it seems archaic. Does anybody know how this type of thing could affect future licensing?

Also when you say apply broadly, how many schools would that entail? Before this I was going to apply to 7 (Michigan resident) but I assume I will to go higher now.

Last edited:

ncide

5+ Year Member
        Mar 2, 2015
        1. Dentist
          Since you have average stats, average number of schools that applicants apply to is 15. Adcom is generally pretty conservative, so I'd definitely recommend you up it from 7-8 schools.

Reactions: 1 user

Queen Beach

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          Feb 29, 2016
          Paradise
          1. Pre-Dental
            My advice to you is to get a lawyer for your court date-- request to have it dismissed (1st time right?) & discuss deadlines. Then submit your application this cycle without having to report this since there wasn't a judgement, the cleaner a record the better. If it does end up being on your record then your school list should consist of mostly schools in the west.

Throwaway667

May 12, 2016
            1. Pre-Dental
              My advice to you is to get a lawyer for your court date-- request to have it dismissed (1st time right?) & discuss deadlines. Then submit your application this cycle without having to report this since there wasn't a judgement, the cleaner a record the better. If it does end up being on your record then your school list should consist of mostly schools in the west.

Yep, in Michigan there is a clause called 7411 that allows first time offenders a free (but expensive) pass. I think the case is essentially put on hold and I undergo probation for a year, then the case will be dismissed. Does anybody know if I need to disclose a case where I wasn't convicted? Or if it could lead to licensing issues?

Throwaway667

May 12, 2016
              1. Pre-Dental

Yep I think I should be fine. It asks if you were convicted of a drug charge. With this program, I will never have been convicted. So I think I should be fine.

Edit: I found the prompt from AADSAS. "Q8. Are you currently under charge or have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, other than minor traffic violations? (Yes/No)"

In this case, I think I would be considered under charge but not convicted of a misdemeanor. If I note that the case will be dismissed after I finish probation, does that make my case look any better? Is this a big enough deal to stop me from applying this summer? I would like to apply this summer because I don't really want to do a gap year/have any plans for one.

Last edited:

Queen Beach

Membership Revoked
                Removed
                Feb 29, 2016
                Paradise
                1. Pre-Dental
                  Yep, in Michigan there is a clause called 7411 that allows first time offenders a free (but expensive) pass. I think the case is essentially put on hold and I undergo probation for a year, then the case will be dismissed. Does anybody know if I need to disclose a case where I wasn't convicted? Or if it could lead to licensing issues?

Ok, so it seems like you answered your 1st question already, but I would get a lawyer if I was in your shoes. The question is why did the cop search your car? You get a good lawyer you might not have to do probation... I don't know the details of what happened or the law in your state.

For licensing, the dental schools won't let you matriculate if you can't practice dentistry because of your record. Again, if it's dismissed you have nothing to worry about, but if it is on your record I believe everything will go smoother in the west. In 2011, California passed a law that if you got caught with less than an ounce of marijuana, you only pay a fine ($100) bc there's absolutely nothing criminal about it. However, in a state like Alabama 26/67 counties do not sell alcohol.

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.