Ab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway667

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply broadly and you should be fine. Can't believe this is still an issue in some states. I can go to a store where I live and purchase it like alcohol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have average stats, average number of schools that applicants apply to is 15. Adcom is generally pretty conservative, so I'd definitely recommend you up it from 7-8 schools.

My advice to you is to get a lawyer for your court date-- request to have it dismissed (1st time right?) & discuss deadlines. Then submit your application this cycle without having to report this since there wasn't a judgement, the cleaner a record the better. If it does end up being on your record then your school list should consist of mostly schools in the west.

I wonder if this misdemeanor will disqualify you for federal loans.

It's not a deal breaker. Go ahead and apply. Glad that you are still eligible for financial aid.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, in Michigan there is a clause called 7411 that allows first time offenders a free (but expensive) pass. I think the case is essentially put on hold and I undergo probation for a year, then the case will be dismissed. Does anybody know if I need to disclose a case where I wasn't convicted? Or if it could lead to licensing issues?

Ok, so it seems like you answered your 1st question already, but I would get a lawyer if I was in your shoes. The question is why did the cop search your car? You get a good lawyer you might not have to do probation... I don't know the details of what happened or the law in your state.

For licensing, the dental schools won't let you matriculate if you can't practice dentistry because of your record. Again, if it's dismissed you have nothing to worry about, but if it is on your record I believe everything will go smoother in the west. In 2011, California passed a law that if you got caught with less than an ounce of marijuana, you only pay a fine ($100) bc there's absolutely nothing criminal about it. However, in a state like Alabama 26/67 counties do not sell alcohol.