misdemeanor charges?

Started by rkm0709
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rkm0709

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. I am a junior applying next cycle. I have a 32 MCAT and a 3.75 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA.

I made a really stupid decision and I got an MIP and a charge for using someone else's ID. Both misdemeanors. I haven't been to court yet but i basically I heard that since it is my first offense, it will be dismissed after 18 months after some community service.

The problem is that I am applying the next cycle. I know the application asks if I have ever been found guilty for a crime, is that correct? I plan on explaining the situation out anyway if it gets dismissed before that but I was just wondering if you guys had any input. How should i go about this and how much will med schools write me off?

Thanks guys. I know I made a bad decision, so any advice would be helpful.
 
Relax. You said it yourself - most applications ask if you have ever been found guilty of a crime. If you've been charged with a crime, you haven't been found guilty...yet. If it's your first run-in with the law, and you're a good kid and did something stupid, chances are the state will drop the charges, nolle it, or give you some kind of AR. In that case, you haven't been found guilty of it, and you won't be required to answer yes to that question. Some applications ask you if you've ever plead guilty to a crime, and if you're given community service, you likely won't have to answer yes to that question either. Most questions asking about your criminal background will contain some sort of disclaimer telling you not to answer yes if your charges have been dropped, nolled, etc.

The only question you would have to answer would be one phrased in a way that asked you if you've ever been charged with anything, and to answer this question regardless of any dismissals. I haven't actually filled out my AMCAS yet, so I don't know how the question is exactly phrased, but I imagine it isn't phrased like that.

Relax! You're in a tough situation and you've got to get through it. You'll be fine.


im not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice, etc. etc.
 
If you're not going to report it, I would be very sure that the wording is right that it won't come back to hurt you. I personally would contact a lawyer and if they don't think you have to report it, get some sort of written statement from them so if the med school does find out, you have legal proof that you really thought you didn't have to say anything.

That being said, if you do have to report it just be honest and come up with an explanation of how this experience changed you for the better. I have an underage drinking citation and it has only come up once in an interview and that's because they thought it was a DWI. When I corrected them, they didn't care. I think these charges a little more serious, but if they were willing to interview someone who they thought had a DWI, I think you'll get a shot to explain yourself at at least a few places. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some ask if you have been charged, some ask if you have been convicted, plead no-contest, or whatever.....


Honesty is the best policy. Just tell the truth depending on what the app asks.

Remember, the people looking at the app are real people just like you and I
 
Tell the truth. I think that the adcoms take those convictions with a grain of salt... on a margarita. 😉 Seriously, it won't hurt you. Just report it and do your best at the interviews.

thanks!

And thanks everyone for all the advice!