Misdemeanor DV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mythology 9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this happened last week. I got into fight with my gf and she called the PD. And now I have misdemeanor onmy record now. I havent gone to the court yet. I didnt hurt her at all, there were no bruises for scars. So it is likely to be non-conviction.

So is my chances of getting into medical school in US gone?

Is Caribbean an option? Even if I go to Caribbean, would this come back to bite me later?

I am so stressed out. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

This looks very, very bad. In my opinion, you should only worry about medical school after all of the legal stuff has come to a conclusion and you know what the final conviction is, etc. And it goes without saying that you should speak to a lawyer. And perhaps seek help for whatever would motivate you to escalate a fight to the point that the police are called.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Already submitted my primary. :(
Ouch. I was going to say if you are a few years out then you could get it expunged depending on what state you're in. Hopefully this gets dropped ASAP and would be easier to update schools with "an arrest that was just a misunderstanding".

So this happened last week. I got into fight with my gf and she called the PD. And now I have misdemeanor onmy record now. I havent gone to the court yet. I didnt hurt her at all, there were no bruises for scars. So it is likely to be non-conviction.

Is Caribbean an option? Even if I go to Caribbean, would this come back to bite me later?

As someone who was just recently the victim of a misdemeanor assault, I can assure you that a lack of physical proof of injury does not mean that it will "likely be a non-conviction" and will in fact have very little bearing whatsoever on the case.

Now seems like a good time to start considering plan B.

Reactions: 7 users
As someone who was just recently the victim of a misdemeanor assault, I can assure you that a lack of physical proof of injury does not mean that it will "likely be a non-conviction" and will in fact have very little bearing whatsoever on the case.

Now seems like a good time to start considering plan B.
Maybe one of the adcoms on this site @Goro or @gyngyn can reply and let you know what you should do and how screwed you are.

Were you arrested? Is she pressing charges or is the state? It's pretty unusual for DV to go to court if no one was hurt. I'm not saying your story is missing information but just that it sucks if that's really the case. I think you could still be okay if you go to court and aren't convicted. But if you were arrested the arrest will probably still show up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Misdemeanor = criminal, ergo being pursued by the prosecutor.

Not sure why you think DV rarely goes to court if no one was hurt - DV is one of the few misdemeanors that police/prosecutors try quite hard to take seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
If it helps I had a friend who got arrested for felony drug possesion (Adderall) and a year later he got into pharmacy school.

I've spent a lot of the past 10 years working with DV victims. I'm sure it varies with jurisdiction, but around here (Chicago area) you need to have visible injury before they will intervene in any way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
OP is a California resident. They are one of the harsher states when it comes to DV.

Members don't see this ad :)

Uh, did you get physical or not? That is the question. If it was a shouting match, that's one thing. But if you got physical, that's a pretty case-closed situation. We don't live in a world where you can have a physical altercation with a partner and it's totally fine as long as you didn't leave any marks. At least most of us don't (some states are still somewhat lenient).

Reactions: 9 users
She scratched me in the face accidentaly and I pushed her away. That's it.

Were you arrested?
You haven't been convicted, so you're not dead yet.
If you go Carib, you have <50% chance of ever being a doctor. And don't believe the Lotto winners who made it through the thresher and engage in the sin of solipsism, either.

Were you arrested?
You haven't been convicted, so you're not dead yet.
If you go Carib, you have <50% chance of ever being a doctor. And don't believe the Lotto winners who made it through the thresher and engage in the sin of solipsism, either.
I did get arrested. My court date is in September. I will go see a lawyer later this week. I am trying to sort it out as soon as possible.

I did get arrested. My court date is in September. I will go see a lawyer later this week. I am trying to sort it out as soon as possible.
You might have trouble with those schools that ask for arrests in their secondaries. Most schools ask for convictions.

Always have a Plan B.

I can't sugar coat this, we are adverse towards crimes against persons, as opposed to property. But as I said, you haven't been convicted, so your medical career isn't dead yet.

Reactions: 3 users
I see you have a really high MCAT and GPAs that should provide you the ability to attend most MD schools. Talk to the right advisors and pay whatever it takes for an amazing lawyer, but if I were you it might be worthwhile to withdraw your application and take care of this matter rather than having it come up again in secondaries and/or criminal background checks. Use this year to beef up your application and most importantly put this behind you, because DV is not a good look in any field...

She scratched me in the face accidentaly and I pushed her away. That's it.

OP, my advice to you is to not answer any more questions regarding this thread, ask a mod to delete this thread (if they are willing), don't self-incriminate yourself any more, keep you mouth shut, and speak only to your lawyer. You just admitted you assaulted her.

Reactions: 4 users
OP, my advice to you is to not answer any more questions regarding this thread, ask a mod to delete this thread (if they are willing), don't self-incriminate yourself any more, keep you mouth shut, and speak only to your lawyer. You just admitted you assaulted her.
Not necessary. A reflex action if the OP thought he was being attacked would be a reasonable offence. But as I have learned from being a parent, there are two sides to every story.

Reactions: 5 users
If that's true then that really sucks. There's always two sides to these stories and I'm sure adcoms are going to think the same thing.
Not necessary. A reflex action if the OP thought he was being attacked would be a reasonable offence. But as I have learned from being a parent, there are two sides to every story.

I always thought there were three sides to every story: what OP said, what OP's SO said, and what actually happened. It's hard to provide any advice other than suggesting OP to get a lawyer.

Reactions: 8 users
I mean, he could have been defending himself.

There is a lesson to be learned from this thread. Don't ever date the sort of crazy that it would escalate to violence. If a girl takes a swing or tries to fight me, I turn 360 degrees and walk away MJ style, telling them to lose my number and to find a good therapist.

I mean, he could have been defending himself.

There is a lesson to be learned from this thread. Don't ever date the sort of crazy that it would escalate to violence. If a girl takes a swing or tries to fight me, I turn 360 degrees and walk away MJ style, telling them to lose my number and to find a good therapist.
Yeah but the problem is he got arrested and she did not which means that the police sided with the girlfriend. You really need to this dropped ASAP. I can't imagine any school is going to be thrilled about accepting a student with pending charges.

I feel for you OP, all that hard work in undergrad for a 3.7 with a 518 MCAT in jeopardy because of a split second reaction. If it went as you say where it was just one time push, then that really sucks.

Yeah but the problem is he got arrested and she did not which means that the police sided with the girlfriend. You really need to this dropped ASAP. I can't imagine any school is going to be thrilled about accepting a student with pending charges.

I feel for you OP, all that hard work in undergrad for a 3.7 with a 518 MCAT in jeopardy because of a split second reaction. If it went as you say where it was just one time push, then that really sucks.
California has a policy where they must make an arrest if there is any question that domestic violence has occurred. These policies are pretty controversial in the legal world, as they result in overprosecution, and the arresting officers almost always choose to arrest the male regardless of the evidence presented. Often, if there is little evidence to sustain a case, they will be dropped, as prosecuting attorneys know that many of these charges are made in a CYA fashion by officers, because their ass is on the line should a DV incident come up in a house they previously responded to and did not arrest someone. Hence my saying, OP should get a good lawyer, because chances are this'll get dropped.

You say girlfriend as if you are still dating her. If that's the case and you're being truthful about what happened---i.e. She attacked you and you shoved her out of instinct then why not convince her to drop charges? If she recuses everything, and is not willing to press charges it's done. Avoid lawyer fees, court fees, and huge hassle. This is different if you shoved her down a set of stairs..

You say girlfriend as if you are still dating her. If that's the case and you're being truthful about what happened---i.e. She attacked you and you shoved her out of instinct then why not convince her to drop charges? If she recuses everything, and is not willing to press charges it's done. Avoid lawyer fees, court fees, and huge hassle. This is different if you shoved her down a set of stairs..
The state is bringing charges, not her. With the nature of most abusive relationships, I doubt her change in story is going to sway anyone's mind.

The state is bringing charges, not her. With the nature of most abusive relationships, I doubt her change in story is going to sway anyone's mind.
yes, the state is brining the charges agaisnt me. She tried to drop the charges the day after to no effect.

After actually looking it up you are correct. State is pursuing you, not victim. But your girlfriend can recant her statement, which would weaken states case if she is being honest. Also, I am quoting from a reputable attorneys site here:

Weight Given to Factors for Dropping Domestic Violence Charges
If there are injuries, the wife’s/alleged victim’s wishes will likely be ignored as well. Injuries suggest to the court and prosecutors not only a seriousness to the events in question but perhaps deeper problems in the household beyond the immediate event.

A history of domestic violence will weigh heavily against dismissal of domestic violence charges no matter what the alleged victim’s wishes.
A criminal history on the part of the defendant also weighs against a dismissal. This is particularly so if the history involves alcohol, drugs or violence. In particular, a history of domestic violence is not looked upon kindly by the court or prosecutor and will likely negate any consideration of the alleged victim’s wishes.

So assuming no history of DV, no injuries to your gf as you claim, and if she recants her statement than you have shot of state dropping case.

I do not have any criminal records. And My girlfriend will try to see an attorney and recant the statment soo. Thank you for all the replys.

I do not have any criminal records. And My girlfriend will try to see an attorney and recant the statment soo. Thank you for all the replys.
Might not be that bad if charges get dropped. You'd be good for schools that only ask for convictions and even disclosing your arrest, it's easy to explain it as a misunderstanding.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
The problem is that sometimes the person who has been subjected to abuse will recant because they are being bullied by their abuser. So, the legal system has changed things a bit so that once the cops see anything suggesting of domestic violence they must arrest the person who is believed to be responsible for the abuse regardless of what the other party says about it.

She called the cops and that's all it took.

Do not communicate with anyone about this without your lawyer present. You are not obligated to inform the medical schools until you convicted. A criminal background check will not be conducted until after you have an offer or until the school is close to making an offer if you are waitlisted. You will have a chance to explain anything on the CBC. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Right now, your focus should be on avoiding a conviction.

Reactions: 9 users
The problem is that sometimes the person who has been subjected to abuse will recant because they are being bullied by their abuser. So, the legal system has changed things a bit so that once the cops see anything suggesting of domestic violence they must arrest the person who is believed to be responsible for the abuse regardless of what the other party says about it.

She called the cops and that's all it took.

Do not communicate with anyone about this without your lawyer present. You are not obligated to inform the medical schools until you convicted. A criminal background check will not be conducted until after you have an offer or until the school is close to making an offer if you are waitlisted. You will have a chance to explain anything on the CBC. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Right now, your focus should be on avoiding a conviction.
Thanks for the advice. This give me some kind of hope then.

You are not obligated to inform the medical schools until you convicted.

I'm curious how this applies to filling out secondary applications... it seems that OP has currently submitted his primary but has not submitted any secondaries yet. If he were to submit secondaries before a resolution is reached in this matter, wouldn't he have to answer yes to "have you been arrested" and "have you ever been charged with a crime", then explain that the case is ongoing?

I'm curious how this applies to filling out secondary applications... it seems that OP has currently submitted his primary but has not submitted any secondaries yet. If he were to submit secondaries before a resolution is reached in this matter, wouldn't he have to answer yes to "have you been arrested" and "have you ever been charged with a crime", then explain that the case is ongoing?
yes, but he can choose not to apply to those schools and only submit secondaries for schools that don't ask about pending charges.

It should be illegal for schools to ask about impending charges. Our whole justice system is based on innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent. I'm sure anyone with pending charges (regardless if they did it or not) goes straight in the reject bin. People get arrested for things they didn't do all the time - it's why we have a legal system in the first place...

It should be illegal for schools to ask about impending charges. Our whole justice system is based on innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent. I'm sure anyone with pending charges (regardless if they did it or not) goes straight in the reject bin. People get arrested for things they didn't do all the time - it's why we have a legal system in the first place...

Organize a boycott of the schools that ask about pending charges. If they had no applicants to choose from, they might eventually get the message. I doubt that a boycott could work but it would be interesting to try.

Medical schools are not courts of law.
Applicants have the opportunity to explain things in cases where the secondary asks for stuff like this.

I have a very difficult time getting on board with this. Having recently had an up close and personal experience with this type of scenario, sometimes people are given deals that end up resulting in dropped charges (for example, first misdemeanor) for an offense that truly should keep them out of medical school. Preventing schools from asking about arrests/charges might allow more people that fall into that category to slip through the cracks.

Dont **** with crazy bro. The crazy hot scale isnt applicable when you are a premed.

This is a Public Service Announcement to all pre-meds who feel the need to post their criminal case(s) on public forums when it has yet to be adjudicated or resolved by the legal system. Threads like these are discoverable by ambitious junior ADAs fresh out of law school who want to impress their boss, the DA. Any admissions are admissible and will be used against you.

Post your concerns about whether the outcome will have an adverse affect on your chances at medical school only after your criminal case has been adjudicated.

Medical schools are not courts of law.
Applicants have the opportunity to explain things in cases where the secondary asks for stuff like this.

Applicants might have the opportunity to explain themselves, but be honest. What percentage of adcoms would reject without caring about an explanation?

I have a very difficult time getting on board with this. Having recently had an up close and personal experience with this type of scenario, sometimes people are given deals that end up resulting in dropped charges (for example, first misdemeanor) for an offense that truly should keep them out of medical school. Preventing schools from asking about arrests/charges might allow more people that fall into that category to slip through the cracks.

If it's a truly heinous offense it won't get dropped even if the person has no prior convictions. And while what you're saying could happen I still believe it isn't fair for people who didn't commit any actual crime. Also I feel that if someone gets off lucky they'll slip up again in the future and get kicked out anyways