misdimeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZeaL6

Class of 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I never thought about it until I read a previous post by someone else today, but I have a misdimeanor as well, and I'm planning on applying this semester (June). How will this affect my chances? It wasn't anything big, and it happened in 2009 I believe, but all it was was my friend was hanging on to my trunk while I was driving and an officer saw it and pulled me over, so I got charged with misdimeanor 4 disorderly conduct. I really hope that stupid decision 4 years ago doesn't ruin me now!!

Members don't see this ad.

Get it expunged.

Sent from my SPH-L700 using Tapatalk 2

Hello all! I never thought about it until I read a previous post by someone else today, but I have a misdimeanor as well, and I'm planning on applying this semester (June). How will this affect my chances? It wasn't anything big, and it happened in 2009 I believe, but all it was was my friend was hanging on to my trunk while I was driving and an officer saw it and pulled me over, so I got charged with misdimeanor 4 disorderly conduct. I really hope that stupid decision 4 years ago doesn't ruin me now!!
If everything else in your application is worthy of medical school interview/acceptance, I would seriously be surprised if a charge like this would hinder you much.

Members don't see this ad :)

try to expunge it if you can (you dont have to report it if it's expunged?)

but even if you can't, there's nothing to worry about. like triagepremed said, this is astronomically unlikely to keep you out.

Also OP, did your undergrad take any institutional action against you as a result of this minor misdemeanor conviction?

If your school gave you a disciplinary sanction, then you'll have to report that as an IA, regardless of whether or not the criminal record is expunged.

EDIT: nvm about the IA. 4 yrs ago you're still in high school!

Last edited:
Also, in case that isn't a typo..."misdemeanor". It's a very common word to spell incorrectly

You'll be OK. Quit fussing.

Also OP, did your undergrad take any institutional action against you as a result of this minor misdemeanor conviction?

If your school gave you a disciplinary sanction, then you'll have to report that as an IA, regardless of whether or not the criminal record is expunged.

EDIT: nvm about the IA. 4 yrs ago you're still in high school!

Thanks all! I will try to get it expunged if I am able to. and aspiring20 I was in college at the time (sort of non trad, double major with some financial problems making me miss a semester so 6 years undergrad total). No charges were filed against me academically, I was just set to probation for two years and had to pay mass fines. I honestly think they were trying to make an example of a kid that decides to do something stupid one time. Im just hoping it doesnt cost crazy money to expunge. Thanks again!!

Thanks all! I will try to get it expunged if I am able to. and aspiring20 I was in college at the time (sort of non trad, double major with some financial problems making me miss a semester so 6 years undergrad total). No charges were filed against me academically, I was just set to probation for two years and had to pay mass fines. I honestly think they were trying to make an example of a kid that decides to do something stupid one time. Im just hoping it doesnt cost crazy money to expunge. Thanks again!!
Depending on the state you are, you might be able to either do it yourself or even get a public defender do it for you.

my bad, my bad. well regardless, i feel that in the grand scheme of things, this will have no impact. do keep in mind that you will be asked about the incident (if you have to report it) by some schools during interviews. just be sure that you own up to this mistake and say what you've learned from it.