Miserable in ortho, thinking of switching to EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I could never do ortho. It is way too reliant on procedures and not enough on problem solving. That said, you will make MASSIVELY more in ortho than in EM (unless you go full academic route) - at least until private insurance stops paying them 40K for an elective knee operation because they are out of network. However, your personal and extra-work life will be much better in EM. Your choice.

Members don't see this ad.

I have to admit as a finishing medstudent you helped me love this more. Yes it has its downfalls but i think i will be much happier doing this and having some for me time than doing medicine (follow ups/vitals) or general surgery (no time at all)
At least for me not even the bad parts were bad enough than my experience in other departments. :)ty

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all for the thoughtful and very personal comments.

Fortunately, I do have a lot of time to think about this as I'm not applying this year. I don't want to do anything too drastic just yet. Lifestyle is important, and I think I can have a decent lifestyle as an attending in both (ortho residency is brutal, but at the attending level is fairly sustainable. The hours are longer than EM, but mostly in the day when the wife is working too).

I think I struggle more with the content. I thought I would get a lot of joy being the master of one thing, but I've now realized that's not really true for me; I like to know a little of everything, that's how I keep myself interested and engaged. All this minutiae on hairsplitting orthopedic topics from studies with an N=30 is really just eating my soul. When my patient develops an NSTEMI, I always seem to be the only person in my program excited about reading the EKG, and it makes me sad that I've abandoned so much of medicine. I'm not bitter about ortho, just unhappy and find it not really a good fit for me personally, if I do switch to EM I think my ortho training so far would be incredibly useful in a community ED career.

I plan to ruminate for a couple of months and maybe have a discussion with an ED attending I trust at my hospital when I 95% make up my mind.

In the meantime, I would love to hear more "grass isn't greener on the EM side" posts maybe just to give me more perspective that I'm currently not seeing as a PGY2 ortho consult resident envying the guy who consulted me.

So what happened? The suspense is killing me. Did you stay in ortho or switch? Whatever you ended up doing, I hope it's working out for you. This is a great debate.

So what happened? The suspense is killing me. Did you stay in ortho or switch? Whatever you ended up doing, I hope it's working out for you. This is a great debate.
I'm the OP.

I stayed in ortho, I'm glad I did. Almost a PGY4 senior resident now, and have published in major journals, presented in a bunch of national conferences and will be applying to fellowships next year, job offers are already coming in. The lesson here is don't make rash decisions during the abyss of your ortho ED consult rotation on your 2nd 30-hr shift of the week in the middle of winter. Wait until your rotation gets a little more humane, the sun a little warmer and longer to make a decision. Residency is not forever, and the more senior you are, the more you delegate and appreciate the intellectual aspects of the field. I also shadowed an ED resident for a bit on the excuse of learning to do some ultrasounds to get a different perspective of the ED and I think that helped reduce my grass is greener itch, namely undifferentiated patients are sometimes more an exercise in frustration rather than an intellectual challenge to be solved, especially when you have a full waiting room of patients with vague abdominal and pelvic pain.

Some of the original issues I brought up still hold true in many instances, but I've also come to appreciate a lot of things about ortho that I didn't get enough exposure to as a PGY1 or PGY2, such as the patient relationships you develop (patients do remember you years from now) and also a sense of "craftsmanship" in the surgeries you do. Surgeons are definitely not all equal, and even routine surgeries like total joints are never really that routine (it's not just the same 3 surgeries); there is great deal of satisfaction in doing better, achieving better outcomes and avoiding avoidable complications... in being "the expert." The shift work in the ED is enviable, but the twice daily signouts are not. The further up you climb in ortho, the more tolerable the hours and the better the ancillary support. Most of the ortho attendings I know (other than the trauma guys) in academics and community rarely work nights. The hours are longer in ortho, but more regular and conducive to family life. Now that my wife also works a more regular schedule, that is a distinctive advantage once out of residency.

Don't make rash decisions under stress, trust that the decision you made as a medical student was done with a proper inventory of your interests, skills and ultimate fit, even if parts of residency itself may not correspond well to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
I'm the OP.

I stayed in ortho, I'm glad I did. Almost a PGY4 senior resident now, and have published in major journals, presented in a bunch of national conferences and will be applying to fellowships next year, job offers are already coming in. The lesson here is don't make rash decisions during the abyss of your ortho ED consult rotation on your 2nd 30-hr shift of the week in the middle of winter. Wait until your rotation gets a little more humane, the sun a little warmer and longer to make a decision. Residency is not forever, and the more senior you are, the more you delegate and appreciate the intellectual aspects of the field. I also shadowed an ED resident for a bit on the excuse of learning to do some ultrasounds to get a different perspective of the ED and I think that helped reduce my grass is greener itch, namely undifferentiated patients are sometimes more an exercise in frustration rather than an intellectual challenge to be solved, especially when you have a full waiting room of patients with vague abdominal and pelvic pain.

Some of the original issues I brought up still hold true in many instances, but I've also come to appreciate a lot of things about ortho that I didn't get enough exposure to as a PGY1 or PGY2, such as the patient relationships you develop (patients do remember you years from now) and also a sense of "craftsmanship" in the surgeries you do. Surgeons are definitely not all equal, and even routine surgeries like total joints are never really that routine (it's not just the same 3 surgeries); there is great deal of satisfaction in doing better, achieving better outcomes and avoiding avoidable complications... in being "the expert." The shift work in the ED is enviable, but the twice daily signouts are not. The further up you climb in ortho, the more tolerable the hours and the better the ancillary support. Most of the ortho attendings I know (other than the trauma guys) in academics and community rarely work nights. The hours are longer in ortho, but more regular and conducive to family life. Now that my wife also works a more regular schedule, that is a distinctive advantage once out of residency.

Don't make rash decisions under stress, trust that the decision you made as a medical student was done with a proper inventory of your interests, skills and ultimate fit, even if parts of residency itself may not correspond well to them.

Yep Ortho is the golden egg the residency sucks but you can't be replaced by mid levels the hospital loves you because you bring in money which means you win all of your hospital political battles. Your patients love you because you "fix" them and they remember you for years to come. I would say Ortho is one of the few specialities that's a greater gig than EM

Last edited:
Ah! Excellent -- you stayed. I'm so glad to hear this happy ending. Not that there would be anything at all wrong with switching to EM, but I'm so glad you realized that the specialty you picked (and the one that picked you -- sadly, there are more and more each year who don't have the privilege of the latter) is right for you. That's awesome. Thanks for the update. Good luck with your fellowship match. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yep Ortho is the golden egg the residency sucks but you can't be replaced by middle eps the hospital loves you because you bring in money which means you win all of your hospital political battles. Your patients love you because you "fix" them and they remember you for years to come. I would say Ortho is one of the few specialities that's a greater gig than EM

Good way to put it.

what's the other things you consider to be better than EM?

Derm- if it you are a Mohs surgeon otherwise its just boring but they can face midlevel and other specialty encroachment
Plastics- you can be a hand surgeon or work with burns and make a difference or do cosmetics which makes bank and your patients are so thankful you can't be replaced by a midlevel.
ENT- ENT's can be plastic surgeons but do so much and the variety is pretty good you can do short or long surgeries and you can sit down during surgery.

Others that are kinda Ehh (some may consider a sweeter gig but I can list stuff about the specialties below and why EM is as sweet or sweeter)
GI, Rads Optho,IR, REI

Everything else EM is pretty much beats

Reactions: 1 user
Glad you stayed. I was an attending about 2 years in when I had a big itch to go to radiology which was my 2nd choice in med school. Fast forward 14 yrs, and I would have regretted that decision.

Given what I know, I would only switch to a few fields with one being ortho. Not much else

Reactions: 1 user
Glad you stayed. I was an attending about 2 years in when I had a big itch to go to radiology which was my 2nd choice in med school. Fast forward 14 yrs, and I would have regretted that decision.

Given what I know, I would only switch to a few fields with one being ortho. Not much else
Have to ask you too (where else could i do this?). what are other fields you would have switched into?

Have to ask you too (where else could i do this?). what are other fields you would have switched into?

If all residency was equal (like 3 yrs long), I would put Ortho/Plastics #1. ENT/OMFS #2. EM#3

But residency is not equal and EM is only 3 yrs compared to the others which are 5+, then I would go to EM tomorrow if I had the pick of fields.

There are NO other fields that are 3 yrs in length that you can

1. make 350K+ working <35hrs a week.
2. Find a job tomorrow in almost any City you want or atleast close to it
3. Take as many vacations as you like, take any day off you like
4. Never have to open up a practice and deal with staffing
5. Never have to worry about work when you go home. Never take call.

Reactions: 5 users