Missed Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hob10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new and have a fairly important question about prereq courses. I did read other posts regarding such, but was looking for more specifics pertaining to me.

Throughout my undergrad I thought I completed all the prereqs that I needed, only to realize that the physiology class I took did not have a lab. I took one semester of mammalian anatomy with lab. My confusion is in the terminology listed below. One year for chemistry/physics seems to indicate 2 semesters, therefore would I also need two semesters of anatomy with labs and physiology with labs?

For Slippery Rock University, the eligibility requirements states:
a. One year of anatomy & physiology with labs
b. One year of Chemistry with labs
c. One year of physics with labs
etc

I am in the process of completing the PTCAS now, and will be sending them out within the next week. Even if I am missing a prereq would I still have time to take the course at CCAC or even at my undergrad school before schools start?

Here are the schools i'm applying to:
Arcadia University PA - 12/15/2010
Chatham University PA - 12/01/2010
Duquesne University PA - 03/01/2011
Misericordia University PA - 05/16/2011
Temple University PA - 03/01/2011
Thomas Jefferson University PA - 05/16/2011
University of Pittsburgh PA - 12/15/2010
University of Scranton PA - 02/01/2011
Slippery Rock University PA -
Gannon University PA - 1/15/2011

Members don't see this ad.

So the way Anatomy/Physio requirements typically work is as follows:
Either 1 year (2 semesters) of a course that combines A/P and their labs (ie: A/P 1 and A/P 2)
OR
1 year = 1 semester of Anatomy w/ lab, 1 semester physiology w/ lab. This is the more common route taken, as most 4-yr colleges offer anatomy and physiology this way.

So for your situation, you need to retake physiology with a lab component. And yes, you have enough time to do it, depending on your school. Read over what the specific school says about when all your pre-reqs need to bee completed. Most say the courses need to be completed by the Spring before entering the program, but some say fall. So double check!

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Hi I also applied to Slippery Rock

What they mean by "1 year of A&P w/lab" is A&P 1 with lab and A&P 2 with lab - but also acceptable is 1 semester of Anatomy with lab and 1 semester of physiology with lab. So, if you take a physio lab you will be fine.

Some schools have anatomy and physiology together in 1 course (as I'm assuming SRU does), while other schools have separate courses for anatomy and physiology - like yours
I haven't seen a school that doesn't accept either separate or combined courses yet, but you will need to have a lab for each course

Yes, you will have time to take the course you're missing - sign up for it in the spring. A good amount of applicants don't graduate until the spring semester anyways, so even if a school starts in May you'll be fine if you take the course in the spring
If all of your schools start until August/Sept you could even take it in the summer - but I'd recommend taking it in the spring

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information. I intend to call each of the schools tomorrow. I suppose I will have to find out if I can retake one course at my undergrad school or if I'd have to go to CCAC for a night course, seeing as I work full time.

Do either of you think it will be a possibility that the programs would allow me to fulfill that prereq at their school during the program, or would I have to get it before?

As of now, I looks like I might just need 1 semester of lab, which would be very easy.

Also would taking another course put a halt on acceptance? I could add the lab as a course that I am intending to take, but they would still need the transcript from the school, which I would think might take some time to receive.

Last edited:
It's physiology lab, no they will absolutely not let you take it during the program. Prereqs need to be completed before you start the program, especially such an important one.

What you should check is if the schools you are applying to accept physiology credits from a community college. Look on the schools' PTCAS page prereq chart under the 4 year University collumn.
I don't know where you went for undergrad, but for my school you can just file for a degree extension if you want to take another class after you graduate.

I'm not sure about your last question. If you take the course at your undergrad University I think you would just have to send your updated transcipts during the acedemic update, but I'm really not sure otherwise.

It's physiology lab, no they will absolutely not let you take it during the program. Prereqs need to be completed before you start the program, especially such an important one.

What you should check is if the schools you are applying to accept physiology credits from a community college. Look on the schools' PTCAS page prereq chart under the 4 year University collumn.
I don't know where you went for undergrad, but for my school you can just file for a degree extension if you want to take another class after you graduate.

I'm not sure about your last question. If you take the course at your undergrad University I think you would just have to send your updated transcipts during the acedemic update, but I'm really not sure otherwise.

I went to Penn State Greater Allegheny, which is small I don't think is offering lab in the Spring. I would either need a community college version or have to wait a year. But I will check out the sites. Thanks for the info.

Last edited: