missed that "OMFS magic number" called 90 by a single point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwantmydds2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With other factors being decent, is part 1 board score of 89 just not good enough for omfs admission? From going through alot of threads on sdn, my impression is that there is a huge difference between 90 and 89 even though it's really only a matter of getting handful of more questions correct. Also,I think the exam did get considerably harder than ones in past.

i apologize for duplicated post from NBDE section. I decided my thread is more appropriate for this forum than nbde forum.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just consider retaking it if that’s still allowed. Otherwise the best thing you could do, besides working on grades/rank, is to do multiple externships. Consider them informal working interviews. Make sure you learn as much about OS, both clinically and didactically, so that you can impress the programs you extern at. You can gain clinical skills by spending time in the OS clinic and doing your first externship at a busy hands on program. However, try to read up about OS as much as possible prior. A general OS textbook and OMS secrets should serve you well.

how much does doing a one year internship help for someone with a board score of 89?

I would just consider retaking it if that’s still allowed. Otherwise the best thing you could do, besides working on grades/rank, is to do multiple externships. Consider them informal working interviews. Make sure you learn as much about OS, both clinically and didactically, so that you can impress the programs you extern at. You can gain clinical skills by spending time in the OS clinic and doing your first externship at a busy hands on program. However, try to read up about OS as much as possible prior. A general OS textbook and OMS secrets should serve you well.

thank you for your advice. I won't be able to retake since they no longer allow that.