Missing: Black men in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly, there are very little (like under 3%) black people really where I live so I am not able to have a huge impact on black males except for my brothers.

Does social media not exist?!

Oh my god, really?! If you don't think you can make a difference in someone's life, why medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mentors needed!

frabz-young-black-men-you-can-be-more-than-an-athlete-or-hiphop-artist-882ec5.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going MBA and possibly considering part-time PA school while working instead. Most PA schools only require the GRE. If I decide I want to become a doctor later in life, I want it to be a fiscally sound decision - LECOM's 3 year PA-to-DO might suit me just fine later on but for right now, I'm on a paper chase.
PA school isn't a part-time endeavor anywhere that I've ever seen.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Mad Jack. Yale and University of Wisconsin both have online part-time programs. Actually, I'm not sure if Yale's is part-time. Links to come.

http://www.paprogram.yale.edu/update.aspx
http://news.yale.edu/2015/03/10/yale-launch-its-first-national-online-pa-program

Part-time distance online track:
http://www.fammed.wisc.edu/pa-program/curriculum/tracks/
http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2016/04/01/pa-program-awaits-online-accreditation/

It was shot down in the accred process at Yale.

As to the Madison program, you still need to complete rotations at their clinical affiliates in Wisconsin and, from what I gather, the workload during the clinical years is hardly "part time."

U-Wisconsin is only clinical during the third year, @Mad Jack. By then work will have paid off the tuition, I could quit my 2 year desk job and do rotations full-time.

I get emailed updates from Yale. It's a go on that program.

"The ARC-P.A. will make its decision in September 2017, and if the program is approved, Yale’s first class of students will most likely matriculate in January 2018."

A black man's weakness is a black woman. If our women/culture can create an environment where being successful is the norm then I think things will change. Also the things which we glamorize in our community needs to change. Essentially we need to take notes from the Asian and Indian community.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Probably the most mysoginistic post I've seen on sdn.

Obviously, culture is the result of both men and women for any group.... And the larger society. The black community came to be as a result of a larger white community... So, naturally the subjugation of blacks has lasting social and economic effects we still confront today. These things can be overcome by working hard and fostering a healthy relationship within our own community and the world around us.... not blaming each other or tearing each other down.

Probably the most mysoginistic post I've seen on sdn.

Obviously, culture is the result of both men and women for any group.... And the larger society. The black community came to be as a result of a larger white community... So, naturally the subjugation of blacks has lasting social and economic effects we still confront today. These things can be overcome by working hard and fostering a healthy relationship within our own community and the world around us.... not blaming each other or tearing each other down.

100% agree.

The black man's weakness is not the black woman, if anything black women are the most socially oppressed group in the US, along with Native American women. The problem is the years of ostracism, racism, and separatism have bred a learned helplessness in entire sub groups of people.

For African Americans, the only example of someone "making it" in severely destitute areas was in becoming professional athletes or hip hop artists. This was repeatedly reinforced as blacks were prevented from entering high profile careers like finance, and even medicine but allowed to go into entertainment, in fact, pushed to go into entertainment.

It will take a significant amount of time to redirect the path for many minorities, after they are able to create more role models, more examples of success. It's not just a problem for blacks. The Hispanic community in many areas, and the Native American community severely needs a change in course to overcome the barriers that continue to limit success of minority groups.

Reactions: 3 users
You have your opinion, I have mine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

100% agree.

The black man's weakness is not the black woman, if anything black women are the most socially oppressed group in the US, along with Native American women. The problem is the years of ostracism, racism, and separatism have bred a learned helplessness in entire sub groups of people.

For African Americans, the only example of someone "making it" in severely destitute areas was in becoming professional athletes or hip hop artists. This was repeatedly reinforced as blacks were prevented from entering high profile careers like finance, and even medicine but allowed to go into entertainment, in fact, pushed to go into entertainment.

It will take a significant amount of time to redirect the path for many minorities, after they are able to create more role models, more examples of success. It's not just a problem for blacks. The Hispanic community in many areas, and the Native American community severely needs a change in course to overcome the barriers that continue to limit success of minority groups.

Thanks for sharing your insight!

I would add that while reinforcing stereotypical paths to success plays a part, the combination of poverty, prejudice, and systemic initiatives, especially the prison industrial complex (war on drugs/drug dealers, policing in schools, etc. ) really drive minorities onto the wrong path early in life.

This is a well-cited article exploring these initiatives by Bill Quigley, Associate Director of the Center for Constitutional Rights and a law professor at Loyola University New Orleans.
http://www.commondreams.org/views/2...ls-and-prisons-are-full-black-and-poor-people

While reinforcing stereotypical paths to success plays a part, I think the combination of poverty, prejudice, and systemic initiatives, especially the prison industrial complex (war on drugs/drug dealers, policing in schools, etc. ) really drive minorities onto the wrong path early in life.

This is a well-cited article exploring these initiatives by Bill Quigley, Associate Director of the Center for Constitutional Rights and a law professor at Loyola University New Orleans.
http://www.commondreams.org/views/2...ls-and-prisons-are-full-black-and-poor-people

Of course. I was primarily responding to an earlier point about minority value systems compared to Indian and Asian. Those are socialized values as a consequence of unequal social constructs. But alas, I've spent too many hours on SDN dissecting these issues lol so I won't take this off topic

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Of course. I was primarily responding to an earlier point about minority value systems compared to Indian and Asian. Those are socialized values as a consequence of unequal social constructs. But alas, I've spent too many hours on SDN dissecting these issues lol so I won't take this off topic

I totally agree:highfive:

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming objective admissions criteria are fair, why is a lower number of black men in medical school a problem? Serious question.

Assuming objective admissions criteria are fair, why is a lower number of black men in medical school a problem? Serious question.
Because OP was hard up for someone to shack up with someday that would be a fellow professional and not ask questions like this to her all the time.

Last edited:
Because OP was hard up for someone to shack up someday with that would be a fellow professional and not ask questions like this to her all the time.

That's a really long sentence.

There is definitely a lack of mentors for young black males .

There is definitely a lack of mentors for young black males .
You are right there is definitely a lack of mentors for African American males wanting to pursue medicine. I have been searching youtube and I have also realized there are a lack of African American males showing their Pre-med and medical school experience online. However, I recently came across this youtube channel mission to medicine. That I thought I would share in this forum, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKPGBOLAdyx7Z3Uf2Cxo_A

There is a lack of white basketball players in the olympics . I think we should have some of the black players sit out so that our team can be more diverse next time. The black players need to check their privilege. We didn't all get to grow up tossing a ball around all day.

There is a lack of white basketball players in the olympics . I think we should have some of the black players sit out so that our team can be more diverse next time. The black players need to check their privilege. We didn't all get to grow up tossing a ball around all day.

Please do try harder.

Please point out the flaw in my argument.

The biggest flaw is you just came into a thread, obviously not actually reading it, thus not realizing the point of it has nothing to do with what you're whining about. Further, you compared basketball's ball MERITOCRACY, to the medical school admission, which is not one. Third, the topic has little to do with the actual admissions process as no one said anything about medical schools not admitting enough black men, and instead was focused on the social/economic/personal factors that seem to keep black men out of medicine and science itself. If you took a minute to pull your head out of your ass, there were discussions about role models, preference for other fields, and a lot more.

You tried to draw parallels without any clear logic in your argument and without a clue about what you were arguing against. But I see you were just searching around for something to bitch about.

Please do continue to resurrect dead threads in UiH so you can complain some more.

Edit: haha I just realized you were the same one that proclaimed psychiatry isn't real... That's my cue to stop corresponding with brick walls.

The biggest flaw is you just came into a thread, obviously not actually reading it, thus not realizing the point of it has nothing to do with what you're whining about. Further, you compared basketball's ball MERITOCRACY, to the medical school admission, which is not one. Third, the topic has little to do with the actual admissions process as no one said anything about medical schools not admitting enough black men, and instead was focused on the social/economic/personal factors that seem to keep black men out of medicine and science itself. If you took a minute to pull your head out of your ass, there were discussions about role models, preference for other fields, and a lot more.

You tried to draw parallels without any clear logic in your argument and without a clue about what you were arguing against. But I see you were just searching around for something to bitch about.

Please do continue to resurrect dead threads in UiH so you can complain some more.

Edit: haha I just realized you were the same one that proclaimed psychiatry isn't real... That's my cue to stop corresponding with brick walls.

Hello, and thank you for your feedback. I'm commenting on the thread "missing: black men in medical school." I'm sorry that you found my comments upsetting. However, "RAH RAH RAH, I don't like you." is not a logical flaw in the argument I presented.

Does the same go for Hispanic men? I don't want to be the only one you know?