Missing Body Parts from Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_dre

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not in med school yet but I work in a hospital in an office. It's just down the hall from the medicine student's anatomy lab. Today I showed up for work in the afternoon and the whole section was closed off and there were cops + campus security officers everywhere. I later learned that some body parts had been stolen from the lab.
Apparently, the criminals were med studens because there is a computerized tracking system of everyone in the lab, since you have to sign in with your student card + password.

Anyway, the story is that they took some parts (two arms and a heart) to use as props for a movie they're filming or something. This happened on Monday. Upon further inspection they think that more specimens may be missing, and several students may be involved.

This kind of story just made me laugh out loud. Med schools are supposed to be selecting mature, responsible people into their programs.

I don't want to reveal the school just yet because it will also reveal where I'm from and possibly who I am. But all those who are curious don't worry, if it's your campus I'm talking about you'll know tomorrow, it'll be in the paper.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in med school yet but I work in a hospital in an office. It's just down the hall from the medicine student's anatomy lab. Today I showed up for work in the afternoon and the whole section was closed off and there were cops + campus security officers everywhere. I later learned that some body parts had been stolen from the lab.
Apparently, the criminals were med studens because there is a computerized tracking system of everyone in the lab, since you have to sign in with your student card + password.

Anyway, the story is that they took some parts (two arms and a heart) to use as props for a movie they're filming or something. This happened on Monday. Upon further inspection they think that more specimens may be missing, and several students may be involved.

This kind of story just made me laugh out loud. Med schools are supposed to be selecting mature, responsible people into their programs.

I don't want to reveal the school just yet because it will also reveal where I'm from and possibly who I am. But all those who are curious don't worry, if it's your campus I'm talking about you'll know tomorrow, it'll be in the paper.

I dont know what to make of this....... what kind of sick adn twisted person would do that?:( :thumbdown: please reveal the school, i am very curious

my friend who is an undergrad at ______ told me that [insert story here] at their medical school yesterday.

identity concealed. good going.

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks for the entertaining your peers. ;)

dr_dre: your completely ... sigh

Thats crazy, tsh we all know how this might end, one word oh no two words KICKED OUT!!!!! Well I guess the criminals might have to go to a carrib med school thats ignorant and does not check your records!!!....lol

Dtroll.jpg

I would give this one 4/10. At least he is getting a little more creative. What do you think, Eternalrage?

Goodmorning/afternoon/evening,

Recently I have travelled cross-country to visit several prominent medical colleges. I have interviewed students, faculty, and staff to find the easiest ways to getting into each medical college. The 3month voyage has been full of extraordinary experiences. My research has led me to conclude that getting into medical school is difficult..but it doesn't have to be!
I've visited more than 24 schools and used my wit and sense of humour to 'bond' with several members of the admissions offices at each school.

I have found that using simple bribes starting at $25000 will get you into some state schools, $50-75k into upper tier schools. I am willing to offer you my services in delegating these bribes to the ADCOMS on your behalf.

If you are interested PM me and have your cheque signed and ready and I can guarantee you a seat for fall 2007!

hey, have you cashed my check yet? I'm ready for my guaranteed seat at the chop shop!

i'll be looking for some clip on youtube with an actual heart and arm as part of the video tonight

at least they didn't give it to a stripper.

and I call BS on the school having a keycard + password required anatomy lab. Ours is completely unlocked 24/7.

Members don't see this ad :)
Worst story Ive heard that dealt with misuse of cadavers was told to me by a doc a few years ago when i was volunteering at an ER. He said that while he was in medical school some weirdo decided it would be funny to cut off a few of the penises and place them in the female bodies. I think I decided then that I would no longer be donating my body to science.

actually....at one school I know of....they have to keep a daily count of the skulls (just bone...no tissue) during head and neck cuz some go missing every year....

and I call BS on the school having a keycard + password required anatomy lab. Ours is completely unlocked 24/7.

What school do you go to? Every school I've visited has a keycard access to their labs. I know that Buffalo even has video cameras in their anatomy lab.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
unecessarily secretive! You should have nothing to hide.

first off I hate it when stories start with 'I heard from someone...', but here I go.

I heard from a doc I know that when he was in med school, some crazy student actually took a cadaver home to study with for a final. When someone took inventory that night, they found it missing and staked out the place to see if someone would return it.

Anyhow, the student was caught and then explained how he/she (I don't remember which) loaded the cadaver in the car, and stored it temporarily in a closest to hide it from room mates.

...I assume this is an urban legend, but given the crazy premeds that I have met, I find this somewhat believable. Let me know if you have heard of this (again, I am not stating this as fact...only passing on a rumor)

first off I hate it when stories start with 'I heard from someone...', but here I go.

I heard from a doc I know that when he was in med school, some crazy student actually took a cadaver home to study with for a final. When someone took inventory that night, they found it missing and staked out the place to see if someone would return it.

Anyhow, the student was caught and then explained how he/she (I don't remember which) loaded the cadaver in the car, and stored it temporarily in a closest to hide it from room mates.

...I assume this is an urban legend, but given the crazy premeds that I have met, I find this somewhat believable. Let me know if you have heard of this (again, I am not stating this as fact...only passing on a rumor)

You couldn't hide a cadaver in a closet, the smell would let everyone know there was something wrong in the house

Why take the cadaver home? Hour to move, stuff in car, drive home, unload, etc. Hour to move back. Just lost 2 hours of valuable study time. Just study it in the lab. (note: I hear in medical school you get unlimited time with the cadaver. In our undergrad cadaver gross anatomy class, we only get 4 hours a week tops to study the bodies.)

Its possible. At USF COM they have to use their IDs to access certain buildings. A few years ago a former classmate (now an MS 2) took gross anatomy through the honors college. The Honors college offers it for up to 10 students and one cadaver to work on between them all.

But you had to have certain security codes and your ID card accessed so you could get in.

Ohh and to the OP as Theprowler alluded to, there was a similar story to this earlier this year in which a 2005 grad of NJMS stole body parts and gave it to a stripper. His license was revoked and he's been arrested.

I thought med students would be allowed to come in the night at crazy hours if they have passcards and code to get into the labs. I'd imagine that they would allow such a thing as coming in later so they wouldn't have to take it home. I'd never want to take any dead specimen home. Its just weird and smells gross.

When i was in comp anat they used to let them take the cats home to study from the house and I always preferred to go to office hours instead. Its just so gross the idea of having a dead specimen at my home. I'd rather leave the smell behind since its bad enough that the grossness of anat labs leave you wanting to take more then one shower to get rid of the smell from what I've heard. maybe some of you med students could comment on that one.

I would give this one 4/10. At least he is getting a little more creative. What do you think, Eternalrage?

"SPELLBINDING" - New York Times

"2006'S BEST PIECE OF WORK" - The Washington Post

"BRILLIANT" - JAMA

MCMURPHY AND RAGE GIVE IT TWO THUMBS DOWN

SUCK IT T|20LL$!