Missing LOR Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VeriHotIce

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm currently in the process of applying for medical schools and I noticed that many schools require LOR's from science professors/Pre-Health. I've been out of school for 2 years and do not have any LOR's from that category. I am within/over these programs' score ranges and have strong letters from doctors and supervisors. Would it be pointless to apply/reach out to these schools? Any advice for this situation is much appreciated! Thank you all and enjoy the Memorial Weekend!
 
This answer is two-fold:

1) I would work on securing LOR's from those individuals. They are extremely valuable to an application as they can speak to your academic qualities/qualifications that doctors/supervisors cannot. You are applying for, after all, medical school, so academic perspectives are just as valuable as clinical ones.

2) If it is a required letter, then it would almost be moot to apply without it. You could reach out to the school to ask about specific circumstances, but most will tell you "if it's required, it's required."
 
I have been out of my undergrad for almost 2 years now and what i did was cold email these professors if i was able to find their emails online, I was actually surprised two responded so I sent them the request for the LOR. You can try that!