1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Missing the pre-interview dinner...bad move?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by cric1, Dec 2, 2005.

1. cric1

cric1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi, I have an interview at BID and will be interviewing in Cali the day before, so chances are that I will miss the pre-interview dinner. Do you think that that will hurt my chances? Please can I have some feedback, especially from those of you who have already intervieed at BID. (this is one of only five interviews I have, it just sucks that two of them are so close)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. blocks

5+ Year Member

Everyone will tell you it doesn't matter, it's just for your benefit to get to know the residents, etc. etc. Bullsh*t. The residents more than likely do share information about the applicants that is factored in to the decision making process, it's ony natural when that is one of the few things they have to go on about you as a person. That happens at my prelims program this year, and all is fair in this game. People talk.

I missed 2 pre-interview dinners because of travel conflicts last year, and both places it was mentioned during the interview the next day. One I was asked about it by one of the chiefs I interviewed with, one with a program director. It sucks, but it does say in a way that that program is not top priority for you. Just a heads up...if you are REALLY serious about the program, and know you will probably rank it high, take every opportunity you have to get quality time with the players.

4. cric1

cric1 Member
    10+ Year Member

hey blocks, thanks for the advice, it's really helped!

5. rugtrousers

rugtrousers Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not one of the BID candidates, but I've been on a few pre-interview (and in one case post-interview) dinners. Don't underestimate how much information you can get from these chances to interact with the residents. You will ultimately have to rank these places, and whether you get along with the residents and whether it seems as if they are happy should be important. Just my 2 cents.