Mississippi State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shemari

24 weeks til DVM!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard from Mississippi since the December 12th "MSU-CVM December Update" email from Barbara Coats?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't...and I am starting to worry. The update said they would email us immediately following Christmas, but, goodness, it has been almost 3 days and I have NO nails left. :scared:

Yeah I haven't heard anything either....

Members don't see this ad :)
guys relax! decisions don't have to be made til March. they're not going to skip you.

Phew, so glad I'm not the only one feeling completely let down whenever I check my email!! The previous email did say to let them know if we don't hear by Jan. 1st, so the elusive email must be coming within the next 3 days or so. BUT I really wish they hadn't said "immediately following Christmas"!! Hang in there yall

Does anyone know how many they interview and how many of those are accepted? I just got an interview invite and am really excited!:)

Does anyone know how many they interview and how many of those are accepted? I just got an interview invite and am really excited!:)

I have no idea for Mississippi, but I have found this same information for other schools on their websites (specifically for VA-MD and K-State), so there's a good chance that it's out there. Good luck finding it. :)

Don't quote me on this, but for some reason I remember that they interviewed around 300 of us last year, and the class size is 76. It's about equal instate and out of state.

Who is getting excited for interviews?:)

I'm really excited! :):)

I'm excited!

I walked in this morning to see the "interview curtain" up, and just couldn't believe it's been an entire year since I was waiting patiently behind it.

Can't wait to meet some of you, good luck! :D

I walked in this morning to see the "interview curtain" up

"Interview curtain".... is that so you don't see the person before you crying

Members don't see this ad :)
I walked in this morning to see the "interview curtain" up

"Interview curtain".... is that so you don't see the person before you crying? :D

"Interview curtain".... is that so you don't see the person before you crying? :D

Ha :)

It's just where you get everyone organized at each interview time. There were students/mentors there telling you it was going to be no big deal, and candy too :D

(If anyone is interviewing next week, a bunch of us current first-years are going to see Snoop Dogg perform on Tuesday (19th) night, feel free to join! (we're not really the Snoop Dogg types, but who could miss him performing in the middle-of-nowhere Mississippi?))

wizard_oz_curtain.jpg

Too funny! The Wizard of Oz is all I can think of when I hear interview curtain!:laugh:file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Ha :)

It's just where you get everyone organized at each interview time. There were students/mentors there telling you it was going to be no big deal, and candy too :D

(If anyone is interviewing next week, a bunch of us current first-years are going to see Snoop Dogg perform on Tuesday (19th) night, feel free to join! (we're not really the Snoop Dogg types, but who could miss him performing in the middle-of-nowhere Mississippi?))

Oh that would be fun! I'm flying in on Monday night so I'll be around! :)

Is everyone heading to Mississippi this week? I can't wait to see the campus, I have never been there before.

I'm heading down Monday and will get in Monday night. I was planning on renting a car and driving around Miss. a bit on Monday, but it is a ton of extra money to rent a car in Miss. if you are under 25! So,I think I am just going to take cabs and save a few hundred dollars!
Is anyone around Tuesday during the day that would want to get together for lunch or something?

i will get into miss on tues afternoon. i drove there last month---from atl, which is about 4 hrs away---to checkl everything out. the campus is so nice! i wasnt expecting that at all....esp for middle of nowhere miss. & there are lots of housing oppt close to the campus. does anyone else have an interview for the dual phd-dvm program?? i am going to have 2 interviews in one day---nerveracking!!

Let the wait begin>>>>:beat:

I know! At least the wait isn't too long. I really liked the school and I think my interview went really well! I'm crossing my fingers!:luck:

The back of the admissions interview schedule said " We plan to notify all applicants of admissions status by the first of march" Do you think that means March 1st or the just sometime in the beginning of March?
:confused:

They said that we should call them if we haven't heard anything by the second week of march. If you get accepted, you could get a phone call as early as next week.

I really liked the school too! And the fact that they keep you in the loop about what's going on with their admissions process

I loved the school, the people, and the town :) If I remember correctly, though, they said everyone would hear within the first week of March. And to call if you didnt hear by the second week...

I heard through the grapevine today that Barbara told someone that acceptance phone calls start tomorrow. They usually start with in-state, and then contract South Carolina seats, but you out-of-staters may be hearing in the next few days =)

Thanks for the update! This method seems like it will be very nice for those who get accepted and very nervewracking for those who have to wait on a rejection/waitlist letter

I got an email from Barbara Coats yesterday (Within 5 minutes of my inquiry, via Blackberry! I was very impressed with the response time.) and she said that they planned to have all of the letters in the mail by the end of the week. Once the letters were in the mail room, they would start calling applicants with offers of admissions.

Personally, my stomach is in knots. Even with the possibility of in-state UC Davis, MS is my top choice.

Personally, my stomach is in knots. Even with the possibility of in-state UC Davis, MS is my top choice.

Seriously?!! :eek:

I love my school, no doubt, but I was limited to the schools I could apply to because of one particular "C-" in undergrad that cut about half of the vet schools off my list. I never imagined MS could make such an impression to have someone choose it over a fab in-state school like Davis!!

(hey, I take it as a compliment :love:)

You are just as surprised as I was. I went to my interview last week with Davis firmly in first, and by the end, I was ready to move back (I did my first year of undergrad at MS State) to Starvkille right then.

It doesn't help, I'm sure, that a good friend of mine is a third year there and keeps going on and on about how much she loves the school. ;)

and indeed we are, got the phone call about a half hour ago :D

I heard through the grapevine today that Barbara told someone that acceptance phone calls start tomorrow. They usually start with in-state, and then contract South Carolina seats, but you out-of-staters may be hearing in the next few days =)

and indeed we are, got the phone call about a half hour ago :D

Forgive my neurosis - but would you mind telling someone with bated breath where you stand in the alphabet? Just wondering if they're going alphabetically or not.

got a phone call at 11 am (Eastern time)....i am in the beginning of the alphabet (c)

I don't think they're going alphabetically - I got my call a little after bnicolec today and have a name that's later in the alphabet (p)

Got my phone call today as well. :D OOS at the beginning of the alphabet if that helps anyone. Good luck to all of you still waiting.

Mine was at 11 AM and I'm in "O" if that helps!:)

So...when do you classes start?! I can't find an academic calender anywhere!:D

Congrats to all!! :D

Barbara hung a "poster" up labeled Class of 2012 with all of the accepted people's pictures for all to see. We were cracking up at the thought of our faces being up there last year.

For anyone waitlisted, we literally went through our ENTIRE waitlist last year.

You probably won't find an academic calendar for the vet school, they don't usually put them on the website. You'll have access to a lot of stuff once you start, which is frustrating throughout the summer when you want all of the info then! A good way to figure out the day we start is to look up the start date of the main campus of the University, and we almost always start the Monday before them (they usually start mid-week).

Thanks!!
LOL- I hope my picture isn't too terrible!! I think I blinked anyways!
I'm excited, I really loved the school!:)

OSJ, where are you from? I see that you really like Mississippi and was wondering if you had heard anything from your instate.

A good way to figure out the day we start is to look up the start date of the main campus of the University, and we almost always start the Monday before them (they usually start mid-week).

Do first years have an orientation before classes start?

Do first years have an orientation before classes start?

Yeah, the week before school starts you have the coating ceremony, which is the first time you really meet your class as a whole. You sit and listen to a bunch of introductory stuff that morning, and then friends and family come in the afternoon for the ceremony.

The next day is the fun part of orientation, the COPE course. You go out to a local boyscout camp, divide up into random teams, and do all sorts of crazy things like obstacle courses, trust building exercises, and other goofy stuff. It's a lot of fun and a lot of work, and it's like 100 degrees in Mississippi around that time, so you all suffer together. I befriended two people that day in my group alone, and we ended up being in a lab group together and being great friends. Barbara loves the COPE course, so she'll tell you ALLLLL about it :)

Here's the pictures from our COPE course: COPE 2011

Also the first two days of school are mostly orientation stuff as well, and then you jump right in on the third day!

COPE looks like so much fun! i love team bonding exercises. the low and high ropes were always my favorite activity at camp! Mississippi seems like such a happy place!

I got my phone call around 10:30 my last name is an H and I'm OOS. I can't wait, I am going to Mississippi for sure!:D:D:D

i just want to say how excited I am to be accepted to MSU-CVM. I love the school and the town....however, I am going to wait until I hear back from my instate before I make the decision, but, as of right now, no matter what the cost of the tuition, mississippi has me HOOKED.

CoNGRaTS to all other who have been accepted, and to those that haven't I wish the best of luck in the coming month or so, your time is fast approaching. :)