Mississippi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tsuki

UTK CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many from here interviewed at Mississippi State this year, but I did and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the school. I just returned from an interview at another school and still consider MSU my 1st choice.

Anyone else have any thoughts on MSU?

Good luck to those who may be waiting from a call from MSU like I am :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I was seriously just debating whether or not to start a Mississippi thread! I wasn't sure if there were too many of us on this forum waiting to hear back.

Did you just return from Illinois? (that's where I came home from last night... just beat the snow storm, phew!)

I personally had a minor panic attack when the phone rang this morning with a "Restricted" phone number, but it ended up just being the doctor's office (boo).

Do you think they'll start the phone calls this week??

I really enjoyed the school, and if my in-state school doesn't want me, I'd be very likely to choose Mississippi State (if they let me in, anyways).

I know almost nothing about Mississippi State. What did you guys like about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was seriously just debating whether or not to start a Mississippi thread! I wasn't sure if there were too many of us on this forum waiting to hear back.

Did you just return from Illinois? (that's where I came home from last night... just beat the snow storm, phew!)

I personally had a minor panic attack when the phone rang this morning with a "Restricted" phone number, but it ended up just being the doctor's office (boo).

Do you think they'll start the phone calls this week??

I really enjoyed the school, and if my in-state school doesn't want me, I'd be very likely to choose Mississippi State (if they let me in, anyways).

Yes, I was at Illinois. LOL In fact, right before I went on the tour, my phone rang with a Restricted number. I got excited thinking it might be MSU but it turned out to be my undergrad calling cause I owe them money :(

My friend and I both interviewed at Illinois and MSU and we think the calls might start this week or next. :scared:

I'm going to apply to MSU. I have heard great things about the school.

CMPitalo, can you elaborate on what you've heard ?

I know almost nothing about Mississippi State. What did you guys like about it?
In general:
For me, alot of it had to do with the atmosphere. The current students seemed genuinely happy and everyone was friendly and down to earth. I spoke to a few current students who declined other "better" schools to go to MSU. The class is small, with only 72 seats available for the incoming class.

The adcoms seem like they spend alot of time looking over your application before your interview. The interview felt like an attempt to get to know you as a person and the questions were all relevant. They tape record your interview and take your picture so that when they are reviewing everything to make final decisions, the picture and recording will jog the interviewers' memory of you if needed. It's these little things that make a difference to me. At other schools, even the ones that interview, I get the feeling that they really don't care who gets in, as long as they have 120 or so tuition paying bodies in a class.

As for the curriculum:
You start getting surgical experience in 2nd year and rotations in 3rd year.
I liked the fact that the school lets you pick which rotations you want, in addition to a few that are required for everyone.

I'm just starting to look at where I might apply next year, and saw that MSU required zoology and immunology, unlike most schools. Was that an issue for any of you who applied, or had you taken them already?

I'm just starting to look at where I might apply next year, and saw that MSU required zoology and immunology, unlike most schools. Was that an issue for any of you who applied, or had you taken them already?

My undergrad didn't offer either of these as a class, officially, but I had a vertebrate/organismal course that counted towards zoology, and a combination of genetics/cell bio/micro/blood dieseases courses covered the immunology requirement. Barbara Coats, who runs most of the admissions process, contacted me after they received my application and helped me sort out through the recommendations, and as long as the material was covered in some course or another, they counted it.

I didn't have to take a zoology class either. I'm not sure which of my courses took its place, but I have pretty much only done courses required for a Biology major. As for the Immunology class, I am taking it now. I have a good friend at MSU right now, and she said that taking it was extremely helpful for first year!

I LOVE MSU!!!!! As Tsuki said, the whole "vibe" I got from the school, students and faculty was second to none! If I thought for certain that I would get in there, I would even forego my other interviews!

Anyway, I am thinking that they might call as early as today. They seem very organized, and timely in their admissions process. I was so much more impressed with MSU than illinois. To anyone out there who is applying next year, don't rule out MSU. I really think it is severely underranked!

Good luck to all of those waiting on the phone call...

Got the call!!!!!!!! 10:12 am, followed by an email b/c I didn't answer my phone in time (oops!)

I'm actually going to vet school *this* fall, I'm in SHOCK!

:D

Congrats alonepear!

I got an email..I made alternate status

ACCEPTED!!!! Also got an email, since I guess I wasn't stalking my cell phone enough....:D :D :D

Congrats you guys!!! :thumbup: :)