Mistake on LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meg-241

Reaction score
I just realized, just now, after 7 applications that I sent past 1/1...I put 2018 instead of 2019 at the top. This was a total mistake on my part not thinking. So it reads January 13, 2018, etc. Do you think the programs will hold it against me? I just went to check, and there were 7 with varying dates, but they all had 2018. I sent some in December, and those correctly had 2018. ‍♀️ Does that show I pay no attention to detail?

Members don't see this ad.

That will get far less of a snub than obvious copy/pasting and forgetting to delete another programs name, or addressing to “Dr Smith” instead of “Dr Schmitt”

You should’ve caught it, but it’s honestly early enough in the year the readers probably didn’t see it (also I don’t recall a single date on all of the LOIs I read)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I'll speak for myself as a current resident. I just evaluated some applications that the RPD funneled down for interviews. I probably wouldn't have caught something like that. What mattered to me were things like your grades in therapeutics, the quality of your LOI and the quality of your recommendations. As long as you don't make blatant mistakes like njac pointed out, and it's a solid LOI that was well thought out, I would be alright with the date, and probably didn't even notice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll speak for myself as a current resident. I just evaluated some applications that the RPD funneled down for interviews. I probably wouldn't have caught something like that. What mattered to me were things like your grades in therapeutics, the quality of your LOI and the quality of your recommendations. As long as you don't make blatant mistakes like njac pointed out, and it's a solid LOI that was well thought out, I would be alright with the date, and probably didn't even notice.

Thank you for reassuring me! I was really worried because I’ve read that programs will look for any reason to throw your application out

That will get far less of a snub than obvious copy/pasting and forgetting to delete another programs name, or addressing to “Dr Smith” instead of “Dr Schmitt”

You should’ve caught it, but it’s honestly early enough in the year the readers probably didn’t see it (also I don’t recall a single date on all of the LOIs I read)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for that! I really hope so!

Thank you for reassuring me! I was really worried because I’ve read that programs will look for any reason to throw your application out
I have heard the same for some programs... but if they are looking for any reason when you are a solid candidate otherwise it speaks volumes to me about what their program is like.

I have heard the same for some programs... but if they are looking for any reason when you are a solid candidate otherwise it speaks volumes to me about what their program is like.

Exactly, no offense, but in my opinion, if a program were to throw an application out strictly over something like the year in the LOI, and for absolutely nothing else, I SERIOUSLY feel bad for their residents. That program will likely be mental torture, and it's not somewhere I'd want to be. I agree that it says a lot about the program.

I don't think programs would throw out an application over a mistake on an LOI, hopefully. Think of your application as an assignment being graded, a mistake like this would probably lose you some points (minor), if caught. I don't think of the date as being as obvious as the wrong address or RPD, so I really wouldn't sweat it.

I am currently applying this cycle and I made date error from my CV, same issue 2018/2019. I also made a name error to a program. I dreaded over it for days. I have had those programs invite me for interviews and/or phone interviews. Don't sweat it, trust me, it bothered me a lot too!!

I did this with a couple of LOIs that I submitted, and I seriously felt sick when I realized it. All I can say for sure is that I wasn't invited to interview with those programs.