Mistaken acceptance to Wayne State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bePharmD

Is it Friday yet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I received an acceptance letter from Wayne State. The problem is that I didn't send in the supplemental application or complete one of the prerequisites! Has anyone heard of getting an acceptance when you are really supposed to get a rejection? I plan on calling them today, but I just thought this whole situation was weird.

Members don't see this ad.

I know USC supposedly accepted 5 students to their class last year. At orientation, those students were turned away. USC also offered an interview to a friend of mine, then denied them an interview when she called. Shady stuff happens- you should call and talk to somebody from admissions just to be sure.

Was your acceptance letter signed by two faculty members? If so, I'd say you're good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine walking around campus for 4 years, being known as the student who got in by accident. There's no free lunch. :scared:

meLtdown4meL said:
I know USC supposedly accepted 5 students to their class last year. At orientation, those students were turned away. USC also offered an interview to a friend of mine, then denied them an interview when she called. Shady stuff happens- you should call and talk to somebody from admissions just to be sure.

Really??? that's weird, I never heard that one.

this was brought up in a different thread from a while ago and i thot it was disproved by the other usc students that got in that year...

crossjb said:
Was your acceptance letter signed by two faculty members? If so, I'd say you're good to go.

I called today and was told that I was only missing 1 non-science requirement (that's news to me) and nothing was mentioned about the lack of a supplemental application. So it appears its a legitamate acceptance, although I still believe they made a mistake. I will probably decline. I would hate to accept for them to tell me at the last minute that my acceptance was rescinded.

Wayne's supplemental app is pretty lightweight and doesn't request any information that isn't available through PharmCAS. Maybe they just didn't think you needed to do it? Or maybe you did and and forgot you did it? :)

2bePharmD said:
Yesterday I received an acceptance letter from Wayne State. The problem is that I didn't send in the supplemental application or complete one of the prerequisites! Has anyone heard of getting an acceptance when you are really supposed to get a rejection? I plan on calling them today, but I just thought this whole situation was weird.

I'm in the pharmacy program at Wayne. They probably accepted you because they are expecting that you will complete your final non-science prereq this summer. And, if one of your pre-reqs is considered a gen-ed requirement, you have until the beginning of your P3 year to take it. This only applies to the gen ed requirements (art, humanities, etc), not science, english, calc, etc. A friend of mine is completing her last gen ed requirement this summer, and she'll be a P3 in the fall.

The supplemental application from what I remember consists of a resume, normal undergrad Wayne application (which isn't necessary to do this early...they had us fill one out at our orientation in August before the P1 year started) and a personal statement (which you may have already submitted via pharmcas) so I would guess that you were officially accepted.

Accept or decline, it's your choice. But don't decline if you think they accepted you by mistake. It sounds legit to me.

Good luck.

Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice. Today I declined the admission, not because of my questions but because I would like to stay in NC. It was a nice thought to think I might go back to my home state, but maybe later when the economy there improves. Looks like I'm going to be a Tarheel now.
:D !