Jul 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys can someone please help me? I'm getting confused about the pH/hydrogen concentration in mitochondria.

So the hydrogen ions accumulate in the matrix first making the pH low, then via ETC are transported to the inter membrane space (increases pH of matrix). Then the ATP synthase with use the H in the inter membrane space as an energy source and makes ATP. So ultimately you start Acidic in the matrix and then it decreases??

Mar 6, 2013
Fhloston Paradise
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys can someone please help me? I'm getting confused about the pH/hydrogen concentration in mitochondria.

So the hydrogen ions accumulate in the matrix first making the pH low, then via ETC are transported to the inter membrane space (increases pH of matrix). Then the ATP synthase with use the H in the inter membrane space as an energy source and makes ATP. So ultimately you start Acidic in the matrix and then it decreases??
Other way around

H+ accumulates in the inter membrane space as the ETC progresses. Matrix pH increases and inter membrane decreases. H flows down into ATP synthase and the membrane pH increases and the matrix ph slowly decreases

Reactions: toothfairysupreme

Charles_Darwin

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Close -

The intermembrane is initially less acidic until the ETC starts, then it becomes acidic, then the H+ moves back into the matrix so it becomes less acidic again (I don't wanna say it becomes basic because I'm pretty sure it's always a bit acidic)

edited - flipped words around

Reactions: toothfairysupreme

Caution

Pharmacy Student
2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
So, what is the actual answer to the question?

I think you both are essentially saying the same thing?

Dec 31, 2015
So, what is the actual answer to the question?

I think you both are essentially saying the same thing?
They said the same thing. Initially, inter membrane space becomes acidic low pH via ETC, then the matrix becomes acidic as protons are pumped back into the matrix via atp synthase.

Reactions: Caution