mixed animal major question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moo123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering when one would want to choose the mixed animal major that is offered at some of the veterinary schools. I'm equally interested in equine and small animals at this point. Is a school that offers a mixed major good for someone who doesnt quite want to pick and will maybe specialize (not sure yet), or is this major best for people who do in fact want to go on to work for/own a mixed animal practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering when one would want to choose the mixed animal major that is offered at some of the veterinary schools. I'm equally interested in equine and small animals at this point. Is a school that offers a mixed major good for someone who doesnt quite want to pick and will maybe specialize (not sure yet), or is this major best for people who do in fact want to go on to work for/own a mixed animal practice?

Most vet schools do not offer a "major," as you have to have core classes involving all the species (cat, dogs, horses, cows, etc), and you have to pass a board exam that contains all of these species and more.

Some schools have "tracking," which means at a certain point in your education (sometimes for 4th year clinics, some a bit earlier), you can choose a certain track (equine, mixed, small, etc) that allows you to focus in on the species you would like to practice in. Even those that track still have core classes in other species and still have to pass the mutliple-species NAVLE though.

Reactions: 1 user
Most vet schools do not offer a "major," as you have to have core classes involving all the species (cat, dogs, horses, cows, etc), and you have to pass a board exam that contains all of these species and more.

Some schools have "tracking," which means at a certain point in your education (sometimes for 4th year clinics, some a bit earlier), you can choose a certain track (equine, mixed, small, etc) that allows you to focus in on the species you would like to practice in. Even those that track still have core classes in other species and still have to pass the mutliple-species NAVLE though.

Thanks I guess I'm still on the undergraduate mind. So if someone is equally interested like me what track do you think would be best? Im not sure if I should apply to a school that makes me choose, but I suppose I could choose before the tracks split.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks I guess I'm still on the undergraduate mind. So if someone is equally interested like me what track do you think would be best? Im not sure if I should apply to a school that makes me choose, but I suppose I could choose before the tracks split.

Well not all schools track, and a lot of those that do choose later on (3rd/4th year), so you can have plenty of time to decide or change your mind about what you want to do.

If you are interested in both you can get experiences in both tracking mixed, but you still have to have some knowledge of everything in order to pass your NAVLE so it's not like you won't get any classes with horses if you choose the small animal track or something similar. As I understand it, most tracking lets you focus your clinical rotations or electives after your core classes are out of the way.

Illinois offers tracking during your clinical year (you can do either small animal predominant or large animal predominant). There are required rotations in both large and small no matter which track you pick, so you'd get a little bit of both either way. You also get off blocks, during which you could schedule an externship at a mixed animal practice if you wanted.

We also have elective tracks (although you're definitely not forced to pick one track and only take electives from that track) where you can take courses outside of normal lecture. http://vetmed.illinois.edu/educatio...ree/illinois-veterinary-curriculum/electives/

I will mention that we're anticipating a revamp of the clinical year tracking system, so things may change.

I will mention that we're anticipating a revamp of the tracking system, so things may change.

And I would imagine your class or my class will be the guinea pigs for this new system.....

And I would imagine your class or my class will be the guinea pigs for this new system.....
lol....yep....as far as I know, the third years are still waiting on their schedules too.