Mixed Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonzerosum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in a really tricky situation right now. I am going to apply to U of Toronto Pharmacy this year and I don't know if I should retake the PCAT.

Verbal: 71
Biology: 79
Reading Comp: 45
Quantitative Ability: 97
Chemistry: 82
Composite: 80
Writing: 2.5 in both categories :(

-I really do NOT have the time to study thoroughly - at max I have about a week and a half, if I retake I risk lowering all my other sections for writing section. I've completely forgotten all the ochem rxns by now.:scared:

My main concerns is
-the 2.5 in writing, I am not sure how much UT emphasizes this or if this even meets the cut offs (which is not on site).

-I am afraid if I retake it my chem grade might go lower since I am quite weak on chem - I've only got low 70s in university chemistry courses
-Will my reading comp be a problem?
-Are my scores competitive?
--My cgp is EST. 3.4-3.5 at time of application

I would really really appreciate any advice

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's fine and all if your school only looks at composite, but UofT doesn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think it might be a good idea to get a remark instead ($50) and if I manage to get the 3s in the writing section do you think I would be able to make it to UT phm this year?

It's just that I really don't have the time to fully prepare for the PCAT with my job and 110% course load.

Thanks

do you think it might be a good idea to get a remark instead ($50) and if I manage to get the 3s in the writing section do you think I would be able to make it to UT phm this year?

It's just that I really don't have the time to fully prepare for the PCAT with my job and 110% course load.

Thanks

I honestly have no idea to either question. My gut says that changing a score in writing would be difficult but that is just a guess. I'm not familiar with UofT so I couldn't tell you what is competitive. Try looking in the school thread in the prepharm forum and perhaps some of the accepted students posted their stats.

hi nonzerosum,

i'm in a rather similar situation as you. i have an 85% composite and 2.5/2.5 writing and was wondering if i should retake for uoft. i think a 3/3 writing would sort of guarantee admission but 2.5 is sort of borderline.

im actually wondering if i should rescore my pcat because on the site it says that they only give you whole numbers when they mark your test so if you get a 0.5 it means one person gave you 2 and another gave you 3?

hi nonzerosum,

i'm in a rather similar situation as you. i have an 85% composite and 2.5/2.5 writing and was wondering if i should retake for uoft. i think a 3/3 writing would sort of guarantee admission but 2.5 is sort of borderline.

im actually wondering if i should rescore my pcat because on the site it says that they only give you whole numbers when they mark your test so if you get a 0.5 it means one person gave you 2 and another gave you 3?

yes, the whole essay marking seems very subjective. I wonder if my convention score might have been caused by my use of Canadian spelling?

Anyways I've been looking in last year's thread for UT and it seems some ppl who had 2.5s in both section DID get into UT phm!