MKSAP vs. MKSAP 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

energy_girl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help? What's the difference between the two? The questions in both books seem very difficult. Any insight into how one should be doing on these in order to ace the medicine shelf?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think it really matters which MKSAP you use. I looked at both and they seemed to have similar content. The MKSAP questions are very difficult. Unfortunately, the shelf exam questions are similar in style and content. Our residents recommened that we combine the MKSAP questions with pre-test. Don't worry about getting answers right. The MKSAP answer explanations are what you learn from...I did very well on the shelf, but only got about 40-50% of the questions in MKSAP right on my first time through.

I did not think books like First Aid and Blueprints were very helpful when it came time to prepare for the shelf. I would concentrate on doing lots and lots of questions...

Casey

Casey is right. MKSAP (especially II) is golden. I would read a review (Blueprints, First-Aid, etc) quickly during the first half of rotation to help with pimp questions, then focus on question books.

1. MKSAP II (***)
2. Pretest
3. Harrisons question book
4. Appleton and Lang

MKSAP and maybe Pretest should be enough, but these are two other books just in case you were wanting to go crazy.

I'd go with MKSAP2 because it's the newer edition.