MMI First rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How long is your initial statement/opening remarks for MMI?

• 0-1 minutes

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 1-2 minutes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 2-3 minutes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 3-4 minutes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 4-5 minutes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 5+ minutes

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

vantheman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is no right way to answer an MMI question. I also know there are many different strategies, but I am curious what everyone's opinion/strategy is for the opening remarks for a MMI question.

Do you present a tightly packed 1-2 minute answer and then open it up for discussion? Or do you cover almost every pertinent point you can think of and answer the question in about 3-5 minutes?

I would prefer the former; however, one time at a station I did that and the interviewer only had 1 or 2 follow up questions and that was it. I had 2-3 minutes left over and I used that time to ask about the program but I felt like I wasted precious time. BUT at the same time, I dont want to talk for 5 minutes straight and seem like I am rambling.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What I did and hopefully I remember everything:

1. Once I entered the room, I asked the interviewer/facilitator if it was okay to repeat the prompt to ensure that I had a clear understanding (unless it was an acting or activity station)

2. Once clear on understanding, I shared my personal perspective on the prompt. Making sure to provide reasons, or personal experiences, if I could.

3. Share a different view point that is unlike my own in order to show that there are many ways to handle the situation.

4. Discussion with interviewer based on their follow-up questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What I did and hopefully I remember everything:

1. Once I entered the room, I asked the interviewer/facilitator if it was okay to repeat the prompt to ensure that I had a clear understanding (unless it was an acting or activity station)

2. Once clear on understanding, I shared my personal perspective on the prompt. Making sure the to provide reasons, or personal experiences, if I could.

3. Share a different view point that is unlike my own in order to show that there are many ways to handle the situation.

4. Discussion with interviewer based on their follow-up questions.
Did it work? :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I came here expecting angry posts venting about MMI, but this is definitely more helpful

Reactions: 1 user
I usually lay out my entire argument (including exposition) before opening it up to follow ups. I did a lot of debate in high school/college, and for better or worse, a lot of the MMI questions are structured similarly to debate topics. Sometimes the MMI interviewer asks me a follow up question before I can get through everything I want to say, and then we will go off on that tangent for the rest of the interview.