MMI Pitfalls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subdermallight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve got one. Has anyone ever started to read the prompt before the buzzer on accident? They specifically said not to and that if they see it, it’ll be noted. But I guess in the moment I got confused, and the interviewer saw me. Whoops. Hoping that doesn’t mean I bombed it. Anyone do this before? What are some other pitfalls you won’t read about on standard guides?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve got one. Has anyone ever started to read the prompt before the buzzer on accident? They specifically said not to and that if they see it, it’ll be noted. But I guess in the moment I got confused, and the interviewer saw me. Whoops. Hoping that doesn’t mean I bombed it. Anyone do this before? What are some other pitfalls you won’t read about on standard guides?
You're expected to understand simple instructions.

Another major flaw people make is asking the interviewer for feedback ("is that what you wanted?")

As a teaching moment,
Here’s some great advice:

Crayola227's Interview Tips (General and MMI)

HomeSkool's Guide to Multiple Mini Interviews

Reactions: 5 users
Don’t, uh, act like a physician and immediately sanitize your hands before engaging with the interviewer

Members don't see this ad :)
You're expected to understand simple instructions.

Another major flaw people make is asking the interviewer for feedback ("is that what you wanted?")

As a teaching moment,
Here’s some great advice:

Crayola227's Interview Tips (General and MMI)

HomeSkool's Guide to Multiple Mini Interviews
I’m curious, how much would you count that against me as an interviewer/adcom?

Definitely a dumb mistake but I think it was easy to make because the way this MMI was organized. After the buzzer to end the station, we walk over to the next one, but then we wait 3 seconds for verbal instruction to look at the prompt. In my last MMI, after the buzzer, we just went to the next station and started reading. So I got used to that I guess. I feel like I preformed well otherwise but I definitely am beating myself up for not following some relatively simple instructions

I’m curious, how much would you count that against me as an interviewer/adcom?

Definitely a dumb mistake but I think it was easy to make because the way this MMI was organized. After the buzzer to end the station, we walk over to the next one, but then we wait 3 seconds for verbal instruction to look at the prompt. In my last MMI, after the buzzer, we just went to the next station and started reading. So I got used to that I guess. I feel like I preformed well otherwise but I definitely am beating myself up for not following some relatively simple instructions
Can't sugar coat this, but yes, I'd ding you for that.

Reactions: 2 users
Can't sugar coat this, but yes, I'd ding you for that.
I appreciate the honesty, that’s what I’m here for.

..but how hard a ding? Like almost throw in the trash, or more of a stain that you can overlook if you squint hard enough

I read the prompt before the buzzer at an MMI and told the staff running it after, they didn't appear too concerned.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I appreciate the honesty, that’s what I’m here for.

..but how hard a ding? Like almost throw in the trash, or more of a stain that you can overlook if you squint hard enough
Hard to answer since we don't do MMIs, and I wasn't there with you. But I expect people to follow instructions.

It's over and done with. Think about the next II.

Reactions: 2 users
At least one response in this thread was deleted for being inappropriate. Please keep discourse civil and professional.

Reactions: 1 users
Just pick a side and stick with it. I told my interviewer I support physician assisted suicide, and then proceeded to tell him/her that I would absolutely let a physician kill me if I wanted to die. I got accepted lol

Reactions: 1 users
I've gotten into 2 schools with MMI interviews. In both I made small errors like not knocking before entering, accidentally asking an interviewer if he's a student (we'd been told they're not allowed to say), sneaking in a quick sentence after the bell). This is just one person's experience, but I don't think these small errors make much of a difference. I think what matters is how you communicate, if you can exude warmth/comfort, and if what you say is reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
In one of my stations I stayed after the voice on the intercom said to leave because I truly never heard it and I still got accepted