MMI Time Limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejc4300

Reaction score
I keep landing around the 4 minute mark for answering practice MMI questions. The interview I'm doing has an 8 minute limit. 2 to think and 6 to enter room and speak. is 4/6 minutes too much time for speaking my thoughts? should I really be chopping it down? I really don't feel I can adequately answer in 2-3 minutes. I hardly touch on any important points before that time mark. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

How many questions are your answering after the initial question prompt? Being more concise is generally better since most attention spend are about 90 seconds to 2 minutes. If you see how news interviews are conducted, most give answers that are about 1 to 2 minutes long.

How many questions are your answering after the initial question prompt? Being more concise is generally better since most attention spend are about 90 seconds to 2 minutes. If you see how news interviews are conducted, most give answers that are about 1 to 2 minutes long.
it is 6 questions total each with that 8 minute limit and I'm assuming I go to a new room each time. so after the prompt, it is likely 1 question/scenario. and yeah, I realize the importance of being concise but the questions are often so complex and I feel the need to be in depth with my responses. very tricky to find the balance

Okay, I'm not sure I understand your answer, but here is how the typical MMI is run (time limits will vary):

1) Two minutes to present the scenario (read in silence).
2) Five to eight minutes to interact. Assuming a typical behavior-based scenario with 1 evaluator*, I normally would assign the evaluator two to three additional follow-up questions that must also be answered. Consequently, each station should have the known scenario plus at least one reflection follow-up question that you must answer for full credit (depending on the rubric or instructions to the evaluator).

* This excludes any "team-based"/collaboration scenarios. For example (not from an actual MMI, but hopefully more entertaining):

Usually, this involves one candidate giving instructions to another candidate regarding a task or describing something with verbal instructions only. Two evaluators are observing (one for each candidate). Usually one is drawing or doing something like tying knots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user