1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MO Theory

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by rocky90, Aug 1, 2011.

1. rocky90

2+ Year Member

Is Molecular Orbital theory in the test on the gen chem section. Its kindda hard to remember :scared::scared::scared:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rocky90

2+ Year Member

Anybody please. I have not seen questions on bonding and anti-bonding (bond order) on the practice questions so far and was wondering if they are covered in DAT. I really dont want to go over them if they are not covered.
    Thanks

4. Dusk

Dusk Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't think it is covered. But that's just based on Chad not covering it, which is conclusive evidence?

5. indigenoustw

indigenoustw Am I picking my nose or showing my shaka?
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I didn't see any from my test, but that's not really a guarantee that you won't see it. However to my knowledge, I think it's not very important (as far as how to assign e- to bonding and antibonding orbitals). Hybrid orbitals ARE important though. Just know your VSEPR theory and the hybridizations for molecular structure.

As for bond order, here's a good video about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcXFHdCIns8

Good luck studying!

6. invictusx

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you know MO theory, you know organic chemistry. Done.

7. rmm30

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think he's talking about bond order, bonding vs anti bonding sig and pi electrons. Mostly discussed in the context of diatomic molecules and how energetically favorable bonds form molecules (like O2) and unfavorable ones such as He2 do not. Not sure how that applies to any topics in Ochem.