MO Theory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocky90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Molecular Orbital theory in the test on the gen chem section. Its kindda hard to remember :scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody please. I have not seen questions on bonding and anti-bonding (bond order) on the practice questions so far and was wondering if they are covered in DAT. I really dont want to go over them if they are not covered.
Thanks

I don't think it is covered. But that's just based on Chad not covering it, which is conclusive evidence?

I didn't see any from my test, but that's not really a guarantee that you won't see it. However to my knowledge, I think it's not very important (as far as how to assign e- to bonding and antibonding orbitals). Hybrid orbitals ARE important though. Just know your VSEPR theory and the hybridizations for molecular structure.

As for bond order, here's a good video about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcXFHdCIns8

Good luck studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know MO theory, you know organic chemistry. Done.

I think he's talking about bond order, bonding vs anti bonding sig and pi electrons. Mostly discussed in the context of diatomic molecules and how energetically favorable bonds form molecules (like O2) and unfavorable ones such as He2 do not. Not sure how that applies to any topics in Ochem.