Mobile Micromedex Free for students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkyrx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.micromedex.com/solutions/academics/students/
Has anyone used this product? What do you think? The website says that it is free, but I wonder for how long. ie, is it a demo?

I recently started using it and I think I like it better than epocrates! I like that it has a toxicology and alternative medicine section too.

Members don't see this ad.

does your school library offer micromedex as a reference? This is where I downloaded my PDA version and it doesn't expire as far as i know. I'm not familiar with the specific link you provided, but at least it will let you use it long enough to see if you like it.

You have to get a user name and password from your librarian to download the full free version from that site.

Of the free software I use Micromedex and it's MUCH better than epocrates. Epocrates is horrible and has many errors...don't use it!

Members don't see this ad :)
AmandaRxs said:
You have to get a user name and password from your librarian to download the full free version from that site.

Of the free software I use Micromedex and it's MUCH better than epocrates. Epocrates is horrible and has many errors...don't use it!

Can you give me an example of an error from epocrates....lots of people say this, but none have ever sited an error and I would like proof rather than just believing. Heck, one pharmacist I work with says not to use the PDA at all. "It's not reliable and isn't always right." is what she said. I am sure she is always reliable and right. :laugh:

the honest reason i havent answered you is because its not really worth my time to come up with detailed examples and a comparison of the the different products.

i'm not the one trying to decide between the them, i already know what i like.
;)

bbmuffin said:
the honest reason i havent answered you is because its not really worth my time to come up with detailed examples and a comparison of the the different products.

i'm not the one trying to decide between the them, i already know what i like.
;)

I was not speaking directly to you in my previous post. I can find a comparison of the products many other places without you compromising your time. I am simply wondering about the statements some people (others)make about it having information errors.

My aim is not to get a list of people's personal preferences. I simply want to know if it really is inaccurate, in which case I would stop using it. So if you just don't like it, fine. But if you have noticed actual misinformation (anyone, not just bbmuffin) I am interested in knowing about it.

alwaystired said:
Can you give me an example of an error from epocrates....lots of people say this, but none have ever sited an error and I would like proof rather than just believing. Heck, one pharmacist I work with says not to use the PDA at all. "It's not reliable and isn't always right." is what she said. I am sure she is always reliable and right. :laugh:

I've heard from a few preceptors about bad experiences they had with Epocrates. I only used it for a couple weeks between my Lexi-Comp free trial running out and getting Micromedex. When I used it for that short time it was only useful in obtaining very superficial information. If you have the cash buy Lexi-Comp...if you don't have cash then just go for Micromedex.

Hope this helps. :)

AmandaRxs said:
I've heard from a few preceptors about bad experiences they had with Epocrates. I only used it for a couple weeks between my Lexi-Comp free trial running out and getting Micromedex. When I used it for that short time it was only useful in obtaining very superficial information. If you have the cash buy Lexi-Comp...if you don't have cash then just go for Micromedex.

Hope this helps. :)

thanks

alwaystired said:

I have most programs available out there on my PDA. Lexi-comp has the most information, but I find it harder to navigate. Dr. Drug is another good program and very similar to Epocrates. Of all programs, I use Epocrates the most b/c it's quick and easy. I would switch to Lexi-comp if I need more information. I hope that helps.